Occupying Base Of Fire

9 hours ago, Flibby said:

I seem to get relatively similar results whether I approach a SBF position, covered or not, by crawling the last few spots or not. There doesn't seem to be any cover that a 3-4 man MG team can get into unseen from 3-400m away.

It depends a lot on terrain - both how much tall grass/weeds there are and if you're trying to crawl down a slope facing the enemy, etc. Also the relative experience levels. On this parched Italian hill, there's probably not enough vegetation to be sneaky.

In many cases, it's perfectly possible to crawl into position unseen. But in any case, one should not play WW2 with a modern warfare "spec ops" mindset.

• 5 months later...
On 7/30/2020 at 7:10 AM, Flibby said:

I've been playing around with this on some test scenarios in hot-seat mode.

I seem to get relatively similar results whether I approach a SBF position, covered or not, by crawling the last few spots or not. There doesn't seem to be any cover that a 3-4 man MG team can get into unseen from 3-400m away. As such it appears sensible to just make sure that enough firepower is arriving at the same time that the enemy can't shoot at them all, and then establish fire superiority.

What i seem to be getting my head around is that fire superiority isn't about getting the best position for your troops, its just about getting enough troops with LOS to an enemy that you can suppress their units. It doesn't matter if you're in the open if the enemy has their heads down. Of course it's nice to be behind a stone wall giving suppressive fire, but 5 squads in the open with LOS to the enemy will establish fire superiority better than 2 squads behind a wall, or 5 squads without LOS. 

Smoke lots of smoke all over the battlefield and just use one spot to position your observer. A sniper is trained to spot for clever tactics of the enemy. Either that or have a night mission to insert your observer. The trouble with hills you can see everything but whatever you can see, can potentially see you. Have the phase that you insert your key people and create lots of area fire, barrages, fighter planes breaking the sound barrier and any other mayhem you can think off. 

On 7/24/2020 at 3:07 AM, Heirloom_Tomato said:

may find your men can actually see the target building from an action square or two further back than you thought possible from a higher camera angle

I think that a part of the problem is that the area where the troops can move to are too large and take a lot of space. Sometimes you'd like to move your squad or team to a certain position just to notice that the game don't allow them to go there but place them somewhere in front of or beside that spot you want them to go to.

So although you maybe find a good spot where you want to place your squad or team to have overwatch they might end up on a bad spot.

If the action squares were divided into nine position squares instead of four, or how many they are, so the area where they can be placed are a bit smaller it would be easier to put them in that good spot you want them to occupy.

The AI do split up automatically, you see two scouts at times occupying opposite corners of a house. If you plot a movement the end point is well outside cover the troops however take cover. LOS of your plotting square deviates at times with the position the troops end up with. 

19 hours ago, BornGinger said:

If it was possible to split all units up, so maybe. But I don't think that HQ-teams can be split up. At least not all of them. US armoured infantry HQ-teams can be quite large and are maybe able to split in two teams. But I'm not sure that they are able to.

They can split into two teams. The Platoon Leader leads one and the Platoon Sergeant takes over the other.