Custom 3D Models and Mods Compilation

13 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Here´s some test map examples re wooden shelter resilience vs some selected RU Arty and ground attack AC. (82, 122 and 152mm + 1000kg(?) bomb of Pe-2). What artillery couldn´t do (hit and kill), a heavy bomb did with a near miss.

27cuNVN.jpg

The blue hit decals on sandbag cover indicate 82mm mortar non damaging hits (3x).

G5qD0JE.jpg

though we got survivers from the initially 9 strength german squad. (see their "Tiring" status from space warp running from map location 0,0 which is about 200-250m away south-west) "Shaken" status seems appropriate considering their little home bits of got moved its foundation. 😅

MfFaRfY.jpg

wooden shelter/dugout #2 didn´t receive any hit and squad no 2 still has a good time in there. (seen in pic #2). If russian spotter FO would´ve had direct LOS to the dugouts, hitting chances would be somewhat increased. (target enemy unit instead of target area + TRP). But it´s hard (to almost impossible) if wooden shelters are level to or slightly below ground. I´d tested with RU spotter FO beeing placed in 8 story high mod building as well. Then dugouts can be spotted directly, if no other LOS obstruction is in the way (trees...).

So that mean soon,  that Squads have also to check cellars in buildings, and not only ground floor...

Very nice find Harry, since you are back everydays with Lucky supported by Nigel, the forum in full of news things and this is nice to follow yours researchs like... 2 passioned archeologues !

👍 😆!

Dont understand why BFC never commented this thread, finis les petits secrets !!😁

JM

18 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

So that mean soon,  that Squads have also to check cellars in buildings, and not only ground floor...

that could well be a possibility. Hehe. 🤓 At least on some my upcoming maps, which are not all urban as well. But it´s bits more of a map making effort since you got to make the "illegal" placement thing. Vehicle type objects first, then placing  a building on top. Needs bits of planning ahead, as well as memorizing which things go where and in which order etc. But if acquainting and training on it things can go smoothly and rather quickly IMO.

27 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

Very nice find Harry, since you are back everydays with Lucky supported by Nigel, the forum in full of news things and this is nice to follow yours researchs like... 2 passioned archeologues !

👍 😆!

so to say.... 😁

27 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

Dont understand why BFC never commented this thread, finis les petits secrets !!😁

JM

Guess they´re busy with UKR related stuff and/or planning on more DLC with old game engine, who knows. 🤔 As long as CMFB CW forces will be next, I don´t care anyway.

4 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

No hurry. 😎 Still got to do my more in depth testing with your tree LOD mod as well.

Thus far only changed data on the wooden shelter is the terrain mesh and enforced infantry caching thing. As for actual "protection" I don´t intend changing it, in case I find related META. I´d just change geometry to better reflect its ingame protection value more graphically. This simple blockhouse thing to me doesn´t look like it could withstand even a 82mm mortar hit.

Otherwise and also related to past animation file discussions, data will be pulled from what a player has saved on his HD. But save game data takes preference. So any replay computations come from the last player that created it, hitting GO button. Anyway, for modded stuff like this it´s always advised that BOTH players have the same mod on HD. Just in case. For AIP play it´s just of concern if it doesn´t share same MDR which is the case for (most) shelter/bunker types.

Yup, exactly. Smaller footprint generally and Minus ditchlock is required for both, modded and unmodded. Smaller footprint also makes a difference vs. certain artillery types. I.e the RU 122mm gun type howitzer has more of a flat trajectory and depending on enemy map edge (determining where offmapp artillery is shooting from) wooden shelter footprint can be slightly larger when it´s placed like in my example above. (front/door facing toward enemy map edge). So for smallest possible footprint it´s better to face away from enemy map edge during ditch locked placement. For howitzer/mortar/high angle artillery types it´s less of a concern.

ADDED: Here´s 2D editor layout for used testmap. Blue 19ers are where trenches go and blue 17ers reserved for wooden shelters. Placement direction (G key) in 3D editor is N to S. RU map edge is SW.

Yup, thus making trenches really narrow won´t work and likely waste of time trying. Think my tweaked trench is ~40-50cm smaller and still works sufficiently well. That "burying with geometry" thing is almost always bad since the pixeltroopers hitbox is likely exposed beyond an objects protection bounding box. But if one can identify any such protection bounding box in META data one can possibly adapt. I´ve yet another untried idea, but need finding some particular META data first. Think of similar to CMSF1 "trenches".

Yup. I muttered about that repeatedly but.... ya know. Around my home town (major german city) there´s many local forests that still show big bomb craters from WW2 strategic bombings. Almost all is 500lbs ones and none of these is even 1/4 the size of what CM engine stamps into the ground. 🧐 Though I´ve seen craters like these when I once travelled the WW1 battlefields of Vauquois and Les Eparges near Verdun. But oh well.

Yep, no pillbox damage or rubble model in there. No idea if CM game engine would support them and if yes, BFC maybe was just too lazy creating some or found them beeing non essential. Who knows...  🤔

From what I´ve seen from my many test plays.... definite No. Pixeltroopers always enter and exit the pillbox directly. Tiring and odd off map spotting capability is just a glitch caused by the single META data hack. That also means the hacked wooden shelter can´t serve as combat position in any case. Means pixeltroopers can´t shoot out of it and AIP pixeltroopers will "attack/close assault" the shelter object, not engage pixeltroopers directly. "Passive shelter" only and this is what I wanted since long time.

So I had a look at the shelter. I placed two wooden bunkers in a section of the Twin Villages master map from FB with snow and everything for added fun. After I had figured out where was a good location I made a big ditch, wasn't sure how big/small it had to be; turned out it was way too much. Both positions ended up being one tile wide by three long, and 2m deep; the bunker at the front, door at rear. One was a regular MG wooden bunker, the other your special wooden shelter. I couldn't really see any difference once they we placed, both were quite well embedded in the terrain. I had four squads of infantry - two scout squads, a breach squad and a FO as lead squad. Two squads per bunker. The MG bunker squads went in, one squad became the bunker team the other their visitors. All happy and warm in their bunker, LOS as expected etc.

With their neighbours in the special shelter it was quite different. As soon as I placed them in the shelter it was obvious they had been beamed off somewhere. I looked in the corners but couldn't find them, no floating icons anywhere. Targeting tool showed they were behind the bunker in the corner. So I elevated that corner by a few meters to see if they would get good LOS over the map, which they did. What I then noticed was that one of the missing squads, the visitors, was actually way down below the map. I could just see their icon at the edge of my field of view, enough to click on it. I tried to lock my view to theirs but I just ended up staring into space. The other squad, the ones who took over the shelter were nowhere to be found, clicking the bunker gave me their LOS but they were just nowhere! This corner of the map was at an elevation of 630m. From what I could see the visiting squad were just outside the edge of the map maybe at sea level? 0, 0, 0 in X, Y, Z coordinates? The occupying squad ...?

I probably need to see a few more examples as this wasn't a very scientific test. But it's definitely mind bending. 🤯

Edited by Lucky_Strike

2 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

So I had a look at the shelter. I placed two wooden bunkers in a section of the Twin Villages master map from FB with snow and everything for added fun. After I had figured out where was a good location I made a big ditch, wasn't sure how big/small it had to be; turned out it was way too much. Both positions ended up being one tile wide by three long, and 2m deep; the bunker at the front, door at rear. One was a regular MG wooden bunker, the other your special wooden shelter. I couldn't really see any difference once they we placed, both were quite well embedded in the terrain. I had four squads of infantry - two scout squads, a breach squad and a FO as lead squad. Two squads per bunker. The MG bunker squads went in, one squad became the bunker team the other their visitors. All happy and warm in their bunker, LOS as expected etc.

With their neighbours in the special shelter it was quite different. As soon as I placed them in the shelter it was obvious they had been beamed off somewhere. I looked in the corners but couldn't find them, no floating icons anywhere. Targeting tool showed they were behind the bunker in the corner. So I elevated that corner by a few meters to see if they would get good LOS over the map, which they did. What I then noticed was that one of the missing squads, the visitors, was actually way down below the map. I could just see their icon at the edge of my field of view, enough to click on it. I tried to lock my view to theirs but I just ended up staring into space. The other squad, the ones who took over the shelter were nowhere to be found, clicking the bunker gave me their LOS but they were just nowhere! This corner of the map was at an elevation of 630m. From what I could see the visiting squad were just outside the edge of the map maybe at sea level? 0, 0, 0 in X, Y, Z coordinates? The occupying squad ...?

I probably need to see a few more examples as this wasn't a very scientific test. But it's definitely mind bending. 🤯

Thanks for checking this one out! Hope your mind didn´t bend too much! We got to keep you in sane condition! 🤪😅🤘

So you principally confirmed what I described earlier. Re sculpting the shelter into the ground mesh I´d made some addition to my last post, which you might have missed. For the sculpting to get functioning properly certain AS´s need some fixations as shown below. Otherwise the game engine will do its terrain mesh auto adaption thing leading to unwanted results.

6 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

ADDED: Here´s 2D editor layout for used testmap. Blue 19ers are where trenches go and blue 17ers reserved for wooden shelters. Placement direction (G key) in 3D editor is N to S. RU map edge is SW.

AsRALDI.jpg

Rotating the shelter still can be somewhat fiddly but that counts for unedited ones equally. G clicking (face) very close to the object enables finer rotation steps than clicking far away on the map. I start with map view (key) 7 then mouse wheeling down and maybe adding bits of zoom as well. Then "face" rotating works best IMO.

So overally this is map designer stuff only and not something you´d pull for a QB or PBEM. LOS/LOF quirks can be dealt with by mentioned blocking techniques. That´s the state of affairs ATM. If I find out more, its functionality and placement might get some improvements but for now it does its non combat type underground shelter purpose fairly well. Thus far I´d tested with artillery and infantry type units only, but I don´t expect any unusual behaviors when letting AFV make a try on it. As long as it´s at or below ground level no AFV can engage it anyway. Unless parking directly at the front door. lol And off course if an AFV can lower its main gun enough. If there´s such a place that´s a good one for placing some AT mines. Hehe

1 hour ago, RockinHarry said:

Thanks for checking this one out! Hope your mind didn´t bend too much! We got to keep you in sane condition! 🤪😅🤘

So you principally confirmed what I described earlier. Re sculpting the shelter into the ground mesh I´d made some addition to my last post, which you might have missed. For the sculpting to get functioning properly certain AS´s need some fixations as shown below. Otherwise the game engine will do its terrain mesh auto adaption thing leading to unwanted results.

I had another look at how I had buried the bunkers for comparison especially in light of the extra info/pic of your map. mine were only 2m deep whereas you had them 3m deep. So now I have buried them 3m deep and your special bunker is definitely sitting better in the ground. I tried switching them as well to see if it was just something to do with the ground mesh, but in both cases your special bunker sat much more centred in its hole than the stock MG bunker, as well as looking like it was slightly lower down. Yours is on the left here:

j6gGHD3.jpg

yours ... where is everybody?

77pgL3N.jpg

the stock mg bunker ... no amount of clicking would get it into the hole nice and centred.

4oUftDi.jpg

4 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I had another look at how I had buried the bunkers for comparison especially in light of the extra info/pic of your map. mine were only 2m deep whereas you had them 3m deep. So now I have buried them 3m deep and your special bunker is definitely sitting better in the ground. I tried switching them as well to see if it was just something to do with the ground mesh, but in both cases your special bunker sat much more centred in its hole than the stock MG bunker, as well as looking like it was slightly lower down. Yours is on the left here:

j6gGHD3.jpg

yours ... where is everybody?

77pgL3N.jpg

the stock mg bunker ... no amount of clicking would get it into the hole nice and centred.

4oUftDi.jpg

Way to go! 😎 Still fiddly, but with bits of experience....

One can do an even tighter ground mesh adaption by setting Meta1_0 to below 1.0 (0.5 or even 0.0xxxx1)

Also there was a way to fine tune the pivot point (in Blender) so a more center (not radius) oriented pivoting would be possible as well. Got to have a look what it was. Wasn´t the objects local pivot but more something in META IIRC.

So now we need some "snow cover" replacement for the odd sandbags as well as replacing them generally for non snow conditions. Sandbags META needs beeing preserved for this to work properly. Manually adding/copying the 70+ META entries to new geometry would be another possibility, though bits of a laborsome affair. I did it once already.

Btw... rotate the shelter so that the door points outside. The aperture doesn´t serve any purpose for the hacked type anyway.

so this has nothing to do with the thread but I can't get an answer anywhere else. 

So I've been playing shock force 2 on my M1 Mac and after maybe 20 minutes of playing it starts acting strange. For example certain icons will disappear and some will be misplaced. when I exit the battle, there's no normal splash screen. its just the menu with a black screen. Not sure what the problem is but it would be nice if anyone knows how to fix it.

10 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

So now we need some "snow cover" replacement for the odd sandbags as well as replacing them generally for non snow conditions.

Yes that's got to be done. My FB is mostly unmoved at the moment, awaiting my eventual snow and winter mods. There are probably some snow covered sandbags already.

Sandbags META needs beeing preserved for this to work properly. Manually adding/copying the 70+ META entries to new geometry would be another possibility, though bits of a laborsome affair. I did it once already.

Had contemplated doing this, I wish there were some way of doing it wholesale rather than one at a time, maybe a Blender addon exists, will have to hunt around.

Btw... rotate the shelter so that the door points outside. The aperture doesn´t serve any purpose for the hacked type anyway.

Yes, I was trying them just to see what they looked like positioned for overwatch on a valley below.

Still no sign of the actual bunker team, only managed to find their visitors. Have you tried the bunker on a map at sea level, terrain set to 0 or 1m?

1 hour ago, ViperAssassin26 said:

so this has nothing to do with the thread but I can't get an answer anywhere else. 

So I've been playing shock force 2 on my M1 Mac and after maybe 20 minutes of playing it starts acting strange. For example certain icons will disappear and some will be misplaced. when I exit the battle, there's no normal splash screen. its just the menu with a black screen. Not sure what the problem is but it would be nice if anyone knows how to fix it.

This sounds a bit like a video driver glitch. I sometimes experience flickers and have no progress bar on loading screen as well as occasional black screen. I haven't lost my icons but then again I haven't really been playing that much lately as I've been a bit engrossed with modding.

What MacOS are you using? I'm on Big Sur, tending to stay a few iterations behind as I need stability for certain apps.

As you're on M1 silicon you don't have a discreet graphics card but rather your graphics are integrated with the M1 chip so I guess a lot of what the game uses is emulated with more scope for glitches and the like especially on the video card side since.

Have you raised a support ticket or had a conversation with @Schrullenhaft?

9 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Yes that's got to be done. My FB is mostly unmoved at the moment, awaiting my eventual snow and winter mods. There are probably some snow covered sandbags already.

I´ll likely tackling this if I settled with those few META entries dealing with the placement and ground mesh displacement. I´m still on it and figured couple new things. I.e move-transforming the shelter somewhat down (Z= -0.200 to -0.500m) causes some visual glitches with hit decals and maybe dislocating underlaying hitbox data maybe. Guess it relates to some META that needs adaption as well for this transform. None the Alt-A Blender options work here btw.

I´m also still messing around with Unkn1 and 2 data triplets and got some clues that I got to investigate further.

18 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Had contemplated doing this, I wish there were some way of doing it wholesale rather than one at a time, maybe a Blender addon exists, will have to hunt around.

Could likely be an unexplored Blender data transfer function that might help here, IDK.

19 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Yes, I was trying them just to see what they looked like positioned for overwatch on a valley below.

Still no sign of the actual bunker team, only managed to find their visitors. Have you tried the bunker on a map at sea level, terrain set to 0 or 1m?

Not yet but I´d guess this doesn´t change any the currently known behaviors. Will try... Think the visual displacement will remain below ground mesh but actual LOS/LOF calculations will stay at XYZ = 0,0,0

2 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:
13 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Sandbags META needs beeing preserved for this to work properly. Manually adding/copying the 70+ META entries to new geometry would be another possibility, though bits of a laborsome affair. I did it once already.

okay, found one and works for 2.79 Blender. https://blenderartists.org/t/addon-copy-custom-properties/591562/13 object_copy_custom_properties_1_05.zip

There´s versions for earlier and later Blender as well.

After installing the zipped Python scripts in Preferences/Addons one finds an additional entry at bottom of Custom Properties Tab.

Select "target" object in outliner, then SHIFT click select "source" object. Now hit the new "Copy custom Properties" button and there we go! Works on both our standard MDR files and objects that do not had Custom Properties (META data) before. Stuff from the net i.e Yet need to test the copied stuff in game. At least it exports MDR as usual and thus far no noticeable issues (yet).

3 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

okay, found one and works for 2.79 Blender. https://blenderartists.org/t/addon-copy-custom-properties/591562/13 object_copy_custom_properties_1_05.zip

After installing the zipped Python scripts in Preferences/Addons one finds an additional entry at bottom of Custom Properties Tab.

Select "target" object in outliner, then SHIFT click select "source" object. Now hit the new "Copy custom Properties" button and there we go! Works on both our standard MDR files and objects that do not had Custom Properties (META data) before. Stuff from the net i.e Yet need to test the copied stuff in game. At least it exports MDR as usual and thus far no noticeable issues (yet).

😎 Cool, this might help with some of the unknown meta errors which prevent mdr export with meta. I shall definitely be installing this. Thanks Harry.

Now is there a way to extrapolate the meta? Haven't looked, but it would be useful just to see it in a spreadsheet for example, much easier to look at and compare across models.

16 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

😎 Cool, this might help with some of the unknown meta errors which prevent mdr export with meta. I shall definitely be installing this. Thanks Harry.

Now is there a way to extrapolate the meta? Haven't looked, but it would be useful just to see it in a spreadsheet for example, much easier to look at and compare across models.

Let us know if it works for you as well Mark. 😎

I started making a simple data comparison text file 2 years ago, but didn´t expand on it yet. Just includes few selected objects META data though. And yes, definitely helps on identifying possible bounding boxes by comparing XYZ coordinates. Then "just" it needs figured out what these potential bounding boxes actually do in game. 🤪

Edited by RockinHarry

17 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Okay, discovered I had already installed that - 🤣🤪 losing it!!

So, the big chimney of course refused to export with metadata. No changes to the underlying model but I got the usual unknown errors, no real surprise. So I just copied the metadata from the host object (top level) to both objects of the chimney. Now here's a very interesting thing; in my rush to test this I forgot to select the object hierarchy, normally absolutely essential otherwise script throws error warning that it's not selected. Exported without error! But cos nothing was selected the model was somewhat empty, mdr file size went from 107KB to 8KB ...

Second go with full hierarchy selected, no more unknown error HUZZA!

No obvious issues with the model in game at initial glance. Now need to test the model and see how it plays ...

36 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Dig more Harry dig more, return to the past, this is again a very nice and helpfull link 👍 you and Lucky are archaeologists from modern time 😁...

Now I will try it to see if this work also for me 😏

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

3 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Okay, discovered I had already installed that - 🤣🤪 losing it!!

So, the big chimney of course refused to export with metadata. No changes to the underlying model but I got the usual unknown errors, no real surprise. So I just copied the metadata from the host object (top level) to both objects of the chimney. Now here's a very interesting thing; in my rush to test this I forgot to select the object hierarchy, normally absolutely essential otherwise script throws error warning that it's not selected. Exported without error! But cos nothing was selected the model was somewhat empty, mdr file size went from 107KB to 8KB ...

Second go with full hierarchy selected, no more unknown error HUZZA!

No obvious issues with the model in game at initial glance. Now need to test the model and see how it plays ...

Great! So we´re on the right path now and should likely discover new things soon. 😎🍻

2 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Dig more Harry dig more, return to the past, this is again a very nice and helpfull link 👍 you and Lucky are archaeologists from modern time 😁...

JM

Yeah, we keep ⛏️ for silver and gold. 😁 Thus far it´s (still) more of the bronze type stuff but we won´t let up. 🤪

Let us know if you got it working! 😎

Edited by RockinHarry

2 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Great! So we´re on the right path now and should likely discover new things soon. 😎🍻

Yep, model plays without issue, behaved exactly as expected. Now to try it with a few other things that error'd when exporting, if I can remember what they were that is!

5 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

🦴 ⚱️ 🗿🥔 just some other stuff Harry dug up ... 😉

Yep, model plays without issue, behaved exactly as expected. Now to try it with a few other things that error'd when exporting, if I can remember what they were that is!

🦴 ⚱️ 🗿🥔 just some other stuff Harry dug up ... 😉

Great! I love when things are progressing, even if it´s just in smaller steps. 😎

Yeah.... me beeing an experienced metal detectorist (for 24 years) I´m used to find and dig up lot of things. 😅 But hats off to you as well Mark! 😁

4CUaCS8.jpg

3 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Great! I love when things are progressing, even if it´s just in smaller steps. 😎

Yeah.... me beeing an experienced metal detectorist (for 24 years) I´m used to find and dig up lot of things. 😅 But hats off to you as well Mark! 😁

4CUaCS8.jpg

Just what I Said archaeolog from modern time ...

JM

1 hour ago, RockinHarry said:

There´s no more modern than this maybe (1950-60ies NATO). 😅

zHyoKr5.jpg

Yes I recognise the spoon that I loose in an exercise from Nato but it was in the 80' (just joking)😁

No, I mean You, are the archaeologist from the modern time, and Lucky with his telescope and his pencils or whatever, follow you added hus stuffs too, and take some notes and marking what you found like a good picture from ( Indiana Jones)😜 ..

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

Cool finds! 😎

It´s part of a full Luftwaffe squad (Flak crew maybe) who deposited everything they carried but firearms, mess tins and canteen into a combat trench in "Ruhrkessel" sometime mid april 1945. Huge and rare find. Ammo pouches still had 8mm Lebel ammo in them and there were few seperated parts of a french FM24/29 lMG as well. So Luftwaffe were beeing equipped with french Beute weaponry there.

2 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

It´s part of a full Luftwaffe squad (Flak crew maybe) who deposited everything they carried but firearms, mess tins and canteen into a combat trench in "Ruhrkessel" sometime mid april 1945. Huge and rare find. Ammo pouches still had 8mm Lebel ammo in them and there were few seperated parts of a french FM24/29 lMG as well. So Luftwaffe were beeing equipped with french Beute weaponry there.

Great stuff. Do you keep it, sell it or what?

No doubt the Beaute weapons were nearly all they could find in the warehouses at this stage. I've even seen SS units with similar, and plenty of WW1 stuff got issued as well. So long as it had ammo and could shoot straight-ish it was good to go.