Heaven & Earth: Project discussion thread

2 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I might try another crop at some point just to do the assault on the airfield but we'll see.

As spectacular as your outpost line was, it didn't last long during the pre-dawn assault & all of the outposts were completely overwhelmed/abandoned by first light.

Apparently the 54 B-52's were unable to cause much damage (that sounds somewhat unlikely but whatever) so really the rest of the battle was at the airfield.

I have no idea if you intended to try & recreate an evacuation (or how that would be done)... so breaking up this "Mini-Dien Bien Phu*" into a mini-campaign would probably be optimal (plus you could feature a "prologue battle" at Ngok Tavak).

*Apparently the whole battle was an attempt to create a war movie.

• 2 weeks later...

After a few mishaps, the converted village is starting to take shape now...

OCQajHu.png

SzrNElM.png

TI4YroS.png

rqgpgMd.png

xkZapzs.png

... another subtle modpack change is i've swapped the CMSF2 roads with a mix of roads from other CM games (CMA, CMBS & CMRT).

Edited by 37mm

6 hours ago, Erwin said:

Looks more and more compelling.  Only the paved road still looks a bit too clean/new.

Wish there was a way to make road edges/verges more ragged and real-looking.

I get the impression you come back from the shops like this ...

Jeans.jpg.337636203c3c65c1cf2f33eba5929c09.jpg

I know warrant officers who would have had you on repeat restriction of privileges for your love of scruffy clothing and otherwise ... 😉

Just to add - professional soldiers look after their kit and the raggety-taggety look can be overdone and perhaps is not so common in certain environments as many may think ...

44526515_KitComparison.jpg.91373d46e37fb8c5c83aa8363bf1588b.jpg

Same uniform same tour ...

Edited by Combatintman

15 hours ago, Erwin said:

Looks more and more compelling.  Only the paved road still looks a bit too clean/new.

Wish there was a way to make road edges/verges more ragged and real-looking.

A slight mix up between naming conventions used for roads in the modern games & the WW2 era.  That particular (CMBS) road has since been allocated for use within Bong-Hai's cities only.

The rest of Bong-Hai gets a mix of CMA & WW2 roads. This is the same village today...

5gpgNg8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

particularly

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Lovely looking map.  B)

Well, as per usual, I let others do 95% of the heavy lifting (in this case, and also as usual, @Combatintman)... then add a bit of jungly gloss & grab the glory.

My first paytest of the scenario I assigned for that map was mostly successful (it was both fun & brutal)... I think I have come up with a particularly devious tagged concept which I intend to experiment with on the next playtest.

For the rest of the People's Militia campaign, I've begun the briefing writing & final tweak stage.

As you know, am all for going to the trouble of making a high quality game.  But, I recall you produced a couple of very good scenarios for CMA but never got to point that you were happy enuff to release em.  In your case plz resist your desire for perfection stand in the way of releasing something that is already very good.  

They do work, but they are not the same.....If you run the CM:SF1 version of that scenario in CM:SF2 something that needs to happen 100% of the time for the scenario to function perfectly will fail to happen 50% of the time.

The differences are very subtle, but they are there right enough.

As I said, I've got a 'minimum-fix' variant of the scenario for CM:SF2 (ie: one where I made the minimum changes required to restore 100% functionality), but to me it just doesn't feel quite as intense as the original for some reason.

I started making a full CM:SF2 variant, but then life!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

@Erwin

Rather than go wildly off topic in a CM:A thread, here's how to create a seperate install for 'CM Heaven & Earth':

Navigate to the location where your other CM installs reside (ideally a folder that is excluded from the prying eyes of your AV), then create a sub-folder there called something like 'Full Mod Install Heaven & Earth'.

Then run the CM:SF2 installer and direct it to install the game to that folder (tell it not to create desktop icons etc.).

Once the game is installed, navigate to the folder you made and create a z folder in the Data directory.  Extract all the H&E Mods to this folder.  (Scenarios/Maps/Campaigns etc. go to the now shared folder in Documents as usual, these will be visible in your stock CM:SF2 install, but they are clearly marked as H&E content, so that you don't try to play them in the wrong game).

With this done, navigate back to the folder you created and installed the game to and right click on 'CM Shock Force 2.exe', select create shortcut.  Rename the Shortcut to 'CM Heaven & Earth', move it to your desktp (or wherever you normally start your CM games from) and double click on it.....You should be in 'Heaven & Earth'.

For this to work properly it is best not to have any mods installed in the folder in Documents.  Mods that you wish to use only for CM:SF2 itself must be located in a z folder in the Data directory of that game.  Mods that you are happy for both games to share could be moved to the folder in Documents at your discretion.

An enormous amount of work has gone into this project from some very capable folk, it would be very nice to see some AARs and get some proper feedback from the wider CM:SF2 community.

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

create a sub-folder there called something like 'Full Mod Install Heaven & Earth'.

All my CM games are in a SIMS folder and I was planning simply create another folder called CMHE as if it was just another BF game title and install to that.  Is that ok, or for some reason not recommended?

I also have all CMSF mods in Shock Force2/User Data/Mods folder (not under "Documents").  Can one simply use another Mods folder under CMHE, or will that interfere in some way with the existing CMSF2?

27 minutes ago, Erwin said:

All my CM games are in a SIMS folder and I was planning simply create another folder called CMHE as if it was just another BF game title and install to that.  Is that ok, or for some reason not recommended?

That should work.

27 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I also have all CMSF mods in Shock Force2/User Data/Mods folder (not under "Documents").  Can one simply use another Mods folder under CMHE, or will that interfere in some way with the existing CMSF2?

Fairly sure that would be the shared folder, better to move them to a z folder (old fashoned, but effective).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

56 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Fairly sure that would be the shared folder, better to move them to a z folder (old fashoned, but effective).

Normally, I call my mod folder a Z folder.  But, if the new CMHE install has its own folder tree would it not have its own unique and separate User Data/Mods folder as well? 

What am asking is if there some way the two installs and mod folders could interfere with each other.

10 minutes ago, Erwin said:

But, if the new CMHE install has its own folder tree would it not have its own unique and separate User Data/Mods folder as well?

Nope.

Pretty confident you've just moved the shared folder.

I know it works with a z folder.....That's how I've done mine.

Feel free to experiment though.  ;)