Heaven & Earth: Project discussion thread

9 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Yep... the 'Open Beta' is the only thing that has been released to the general public (content creators are another matter) so far.

However, I will add this strings text file to anyone who wants to play the 'Open Beta' (which was designed for v2.02 CMSF2) with the latest, 2.04, version of CMSF2.

The 'People's Beta' (which, primarily, is just an expansion of content & a refinement of the modpack) is definately approaching completion... half of the 'People's Militia' campaign now has briefings & designers notes (all of it has undergone at least some playtesting).

The headline "A damn Miserable Performance" scenario has been ready for awhile, various other extra content is also basically just waiting refinement & briefings.

1 hour ago, 37mm said:

Yep... the 'Open Beta' is the only thing that has been released to the general public (content creators are another matter) so far.

However, I will add this strings text file to anyone who wants to play the 'Open Beta' (which was designed for v2.02 CMSF2) with the latest, 2.04, version of CMSF2.

The 'People's Beta' (which, primarily, is just an expansion of content & a refinement of the modpack) is definately approaching completion... half of the 'People's Militia' campaign now has briefings & designers notes (all of it has undergone at least some playtesting).

The headline "A damn Miserable Performance" scenario has been ready for awhile, various other extra content is also basically just waiting refinement & briefings.

"A Miserable Damn Performance" ... sigh ... 😉

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Did you just do what I think you did?  :o

If so.....Bravo!  ;)

PS - Fun innit!  :D

The [bhcw] tag comes with an invisible vehicle... I'm kinda annoyed it took me so long to consider trying out this possibility.

We did discuss it briefly at one pont, I was going to pinch the burning vehicles for [Test] Boom III (The OSIRIS oil refinery attack idea).  :ph34r:

I reckon the effect could be enchanced by lots of brush & close foliage at the impact site (and perhaps also using higer wind speeds)

How much cratering is there at the impact site?  Ideally you want as little cratering as possible while still triggering a chain detonation.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

13 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

How much cratering is there at the impact site?  Ideally you want as little cratering as possible while still triggering a chain detonation.

Chain detonations are cool for an oil refinery fire... however, for this "napalm" experiment, I just dropped the invisible burning vehicles straight onto the map as (enemy) reinforcements.

As the explosions, smoke & boom are just theatrical, cratering is optional.

Ahhhh.....I'd assumed you had the invisible vehicles deployed on 'Side A' surrounded by swarms of 'Side B' IEDs & triggermen (as I am often wont to do) and they all went pop when you clicked 'Big Red'.

I've been having reasonable success with my recent scripting experiments, hopeful it will translate into something meaningful for the release.....We'll see in due course.

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, HowMuchForYou? said:

Question: When I want to go back to modern day Shock Force how do I uninstall the mod?

You've put the modpack into your (empty) mod folder to install it... to remove it you just have to move the modpack back out (I have a few folders I use to store modpacks & mods not being used).

For everyone else, a very busy work schedule & the various UK lockdowns are causing unavoidable delays with the content creation for the 'People's Beta' release.

My apologies, I really was hoping for a Christmas release & for awhile there I thought I might be able to get it done in time.

However, the one silver lining is that i've been able to build up quite a number of quick & minor modpack changes/refinements which, together, should help make the release a more enjoyable & immersive experience.

For instance, content creators might be interested in the expanded [burnt] tag...

8 hours ago, 37mm said:

For instance, content creators might be interested in the expanded [burnt] tag...

Yes.....Yes they are!  ;)

I'm hoping to start making some 'postcards' of my current project, 'Wai-Bong Bay' in the new year.....It's kind of different from your normal CM:SF2 map, it's largely designed for boats!  :P

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 4 weeks later...

23rd Patrol Flotilla, Bong-Hai Imperial Navy, enters Wai-Bong Bay on the hunt for communist shipping:

mMldIc7.jpg

Just a quick test of our 'Riverine' capabilities, on a map designed for the job.....Mostly to work out timings, as I've never scripted a scenario where all the vehicles are always swimming, so I have no idea how they will behave with the various AI movement orders.  :unsure:

For realism's sake all the AI movement will probably need to be Quick or Dash, to avoid the default stop/start behaviour (which AFAIK is not often seen in boats).  ;)

PS - I'm already running into issues with this scenario concept due to Battlefront's INSANE belief that Syria has not yet discovered radio communications.  :rolleyes:

@Battlefront.com.....It's about time this travesty was put right.  :mellow:

PPS - My assumption has always been that BF in turn made an assumption.....That NATO would jam the bejesus out of the Syrians. 

Fair enough for CM:SF1, but in CM:SF2 we actually have ECM/Jamming, yet the Red forces generally have almost no radios to jam (and Uncon forces have no means of communicating at a distance whatsoever, which is hardly reminiscent of reality).

Let's make this clear, in CM, WWII Germans are better able to communicate than (fairly) modern Syrians.....That is just bloody silly IMHO, considering how poor/non-existent platoon level radios actually were in the Wehrmacht  and how common radios (or mobile phones) are today.  :mellow:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Game-engine gripes aside, let's continue:

TgviObN.jpg

Little do our heroes know, but a large force of communist patrol boats has also entered the bay!  :o

PS - Forgot to note that these vessels and those in my preceeding post are activated by the [amphib] tag (the Imperial patrol boats are BMP-2s, the Communist vessels are BRDM-2s).  This scenario is also set in the 60s/70s Bong-Hai Civil War, by using the [bhcw] tag.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Thanks dude.....TBH it's never going to be close to real riverine fighting and it will always be largely up to the player to make it fun for himself with some sort of honour system (otherwise it'll be hull-down behind an island and massacre the dimwit AI or exchange potshots with the hull-down naval forces of another equally cheaty player.  :rolleyes:

Returning to our story, our resolute heroes are not so outnumbered as it might at first appear.....They do have some 'little friends':

NCDG07a.jpg

BHIAF Nordyun C-64 Norseman observation aircraft (Built on the RQ-7B)

zkGanO3.jpg

BHIAF A-4 Skyraider ground attack aircraft (Built on the AH-1W).....IMHO these are very, very cool, the mighty @37mm has imported custom sounds for when these guys come screaming in to the attack! (they are activated in game by use of the [spad] tag)  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Thanks dude.....TBH it's never going to be close to real riverine fighting and it will always be largely up to the player to make it fun for himself with some sort of honour system (otherwise it'll be hull down behind an island and massacre the dimwit AI or exchange potshots with the hull-down naval forces of another equally cheaty player.  :rolleyes:

Returning to our story, our resolute heroes are so outnumbered as it might at first appear.....They do have some 'little friends':

NCDG07a.jpg

BHIAF Nordyun C-64 Norseman observation aircraft (Built on the RQ-7B)

zkGanO3.jpg

BHIAF A-4 Skyraider ground attack aircraft (Built on the AH-1W).....IMHO these are very, very cool, the mighty @37mm has imported custom sounds for when these guys come screamng in to the attack! (they are activated in game by use of the [spad] tag)  B)

+1.  Very cool.  The battle of Leyte Gulf........ :)

We'll see how it goes.....The map's not even close to finished, but I need to get my head around how this stuff will broadly play out. 

How long will it take to cross the 2.4km x 2.4km map? 

Can troops disembark and climb the islands?

How well will our spotter aircraft do against targets in water.....They are bloody awful as a rule, as you of all people will know!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 1/21/2021 at 4:11 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

A-4 Skyraider ground attack aircraft.....IMHO these are very, very cool,

I agree, having seen one at several Duxford airshows in years gone by.  But perhaps you meant the in-game version - if so pardon my ignorance.

The Bearcat and Tigercat flying together in very close proximity at Duxford were also extremely impressive ❤️.

Edited by Vacilllator