Heaven & Earth: Project discussion thread

So, the results of the Great Bong-Hai Boat Race are in.....The winner (as expected) is:

h0pdHmK.jpg

The crew had time to get out and crack open a beer while they waited for the other competitors to arrive (roughly 4m40s to cover 1km).

Second place was a close run thing between the LAVs, our BRDM based Patrol Boat and that stalwart workhorse of CM:HE the BTR-60:

vXapOJU.jpg

Bringing up the rear at a leisurely pace were our Fuchs based MG Boat and MG Junk followed by our BMP-2 based Patrol Boat and the BMP-1:

QHtoaqr.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

More playtesting.

I'm hopeful that the second (of three) campaigns will be ready for the "People's Beta" by the end of the week.

My real world workload also appears to be easing off a little so I should be able to get back to completing the main "People's Militia" campaign.

After that, it's a few odds & ends & then a quick update of the manual.

Made a few postcards from the new map.  ;)

Typical view from a setup zone:

D0MA2J9.jpg

A river to cross:

hGpGQX5.jpg

One of the 'Outpost' farms:

X5FQZVZ.jpg

The main objective (for me at least):

nICChi8.jpg

Finally, a view from inside the abandoned Wai-Bong stilt settlement:

gS2QZhv.jpg

Go on.....Tell me that's Syria!  :P

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 2 weeks later...

Progress remains slow due to the lockdowns but we're still progressing (albeit at a crawl).

Two out of the three campaigns are now done & the last campaign I estimate to be ~90% complete.

Although the "modern era" will never be the focus of H&E, content creators might be interested in the new look of the modern forces of Bong-Hai... thanks to a slight rework of @JMDECC's excellent uniform mods.

qfXQ7Xd.png

Er0NE04.png

1 hour ago, 37mm said:

Progress remains slow due to the lockdowns but we're still progressing (albeit at a crawl).

Two out of the three campaigns are now done & the last campaign I estimate to be ~90% complete.

Although the "modern era" will never be the focus of H&E, content creators might be interested in the new look of the modern forces of Bong-Hai... thanks to a slight rework of @JMDECC's excellent uniform mods.

qfXQ7Xd.png

Er0NE04.png

Yes i waiting for this this was my thougt when I saw the mod from @JMDECC this could be benefic for you @37mm to created a (modern area battle) the Corea, Vietnam will not be  far away...

yLCkar7.jpg

"Southwind Command, this is 1-1.  Our position has been overrun and we are falling back!" 

Look carefully at the guns of the guys in the background.....They ain't friendlies!  :o

That's how close combat can get in the open, at night, in 'Heaven & Earth'.  The Imperials get NVG, but typically only one per squad or team at the most.....Now imagine fighting in our jungles, at night, against local forces with a concealment bonus around their village.  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 5/23/2019 at 1:42 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm not convinced that gap should always be filled up.  :unsure:

Finland:

the%20pine%20forest%2001.jpg

France:

-pine-forest-of-black-pines--maravals--t

But these are all a long way from 'Nam.  ;)

I know this is an old post, but one thing to note is that decaying pine needles are HIGHLY corrosive, so natural pine forests really don't have much tall undergrowth.
One major bone I have to pick with map makers is their pathological tendency to "fill" empty space to such an extent that a simple terrain feature like a copse of trees becomes as dense and complicated as an urban center.

pine+forest+018.jpg

On 12/24/2020 at 8:06 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Yes.....Yes they are!  ;)

I'm hoping to start making some 'postcards' of my current project, 'Wai-Bong Bay' in the new year.....It's kind of different from your normal CM:SF2 map, it's largely designed for boats!  :P

I'm not much of a fan of Vietnam based scenarios, but THIS I would want to try out.

Sounds inventive and fun. PM deets please?

Do you mean H&E itself or just the Boat scenario?

If the latter, I'm afraid it's still a very long way from being much more than a concept & a half done map.

Those images are of a proof of concept map, that works for boats (ie: it keeps them in the water, where they should be), but is currently a bit awkward for infantry (technical thing, confident I can sort it). 

The 'scenario' was/is a test to figure out the timings and behaviours of various units under both player & AI control in a maritime environment.....My biggest discovery was that most of our 'boats' are painfully slow.  :unsure:

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Look carefully at the guns of the guys in the background.....They ain't friendlies!  :o

Whilst converting the PA campaign I discovered that all mechanized units seem to use the mechanized uniforms (including Mechanized Reserve troops).

If you want your mechanized opponents to use the PA (i.e. reserve) uniforms then it's best to purchase a Reserve infantry unit & then attach any necessary transport.

PS

If you want to (almost) completely disable the (already limited) Imperial NVG just set the conditions to "hazy".

Edited by 37mm

4 hours ago, 37mm said:

Whilst converting the PA campaign I discovered that all mechanized units seem to use the mechanized uniforms (including Mechanized Reserve troops).

If you want your mechanized opponents to use the PA (i.e. reserve) uniforms then it's best to purchase a Reserve infantry unit & then attach any necessary transport.

PS

If you want to (almost) completely disable the (already limited) Imperial NVG just set the conditions to "hazy".

You @37mmand @Sgt.Squarehead must be r really happy now with the new module soon with lot of weapons veh...this cross really yours minds and is ready to created the area that you choose wit H and E with a lot of possibilities...wait and see yours imaginations I follow with big interrest, I have always one day a wish that peoples like you can help me with my famous Yugoslavia war... and let me know if case of some tests ...

9 hours ago, 37mm said:

Funnily enough I swapped them out straight after the screenshot.

Testing went pretty well, balance is very close, but I still need to make a few more changes before I unleash it on any victims testers.  ;)

9 hours ago, 37mm said:

I need to go the other way, to give them enough of an edge to make signifcant headway under cover of darkness, because they're out on a plain overlooked by two heavily fortified hills.....All hell breaks loose when the sun comes up!

One of their primary objectives is to suppress the Peoples' Army AA units, they failed to achieve that and consequently lost three out of six Skyraiders (the Skyraiders seem kind of quiet in the current version, any chance we can make them louder please). 

As I said the balance is pretty close, meddling with that might be less productive than tweaking the map and adjusting the enemy setup to favour the results I need.

4 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

You @37mmand @Sgt.Squarehead must be r really happy now with the new module soon with lot of weapons veh...this cross really yours minds and is ready to created the area that you choose wit H and E with a lot of possibilities...wait and see yours imaginations I follow with big interrest,

It's not a module, it's a new game and sadly @37mm has revealed that there will be major issues converting what we have made here directly into it.

However what has been made once can be made again, if @37mm  , @puje & @Combatintman and the rest of the gang are still up for it, then I defintely am.

Also what we have made here won't ever be wasted.....Even if we slice out all the Bong-Hai (pseudo-Vietnam) stuff, you still have a very well rounded mid-2000s CM:SF2 SE Asia module, with plenty of options to customise it to your needs, and a team of people who would be more than willing to help you do so.  B)

4 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

I have always one day a wish that peoples like you can help me with my famous Yugoslavia war... and let me know if case of some tests ...

This I will most certainly do.....CM:CW may well prove to be the ideal game for the job, only time will tell.  Either way I'm definitely up for this.  :)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead