The Official Map Conversion Thread

7 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Ok cool I have xp drives but no old cd unless i looked on ebay or whatever.

I'll clear some maps and get in touch with you when I'm ready. Hopefully they work.

Thank you

It won't work if you clear the maps with the newer games, because they will save them in the newer format/version. Just pass me a map name, so I can do that without changing the map format/version.

Edit: Someone made those map preview images of the whole of CMBN, then I arranged them into the four different sources: CMBN base / Commonwealth / Market Garden / E4 upgrade bonus.

So the focus for porting should be on Commonwealth, anything later won't work. I can send you those images if you want.

Edited by Kevin2k

46 minutes ago, Kevin2k said:

It won't work if you clear the maps with the newer games, because they will save them in the newer format/version. Just pass me a map name, so I can do that without changing the map format/version.

Edit: Someone made those map preview images of the whole of CMBN, then I arranged them into the four different sources: CMBN base / Commonwealth / Market Garden / E4 upgrade bonus.

So the focus for porting should be on Commonwealth, anything later won't work. I can send you those images if you want.

Sure if it isn't a hassle please send it over. Sorry slow morning for me. For now I'll scout out the CW scenarios, they are all likely fantastic maps.

2 hours ago, Artkin said:

Sure if it isn't a hassle please send it over. Sorry slow morning for me. For now I'll scout out the CW scenarios, they are all likely fantastic maps.

Here are sorted CMBN map previews (171 MB)

https://we.tl/t-FE4S8DtJdj

I had these listed as candidates myself:

Asslt Med Hills (water) QB-246
Asslt Med Hills QB-260
Asslt Med Open QB-247
Asslt Med Rough (bocage) QB-244
Asslt Small Open (bocage) QB-241
Asslt Small Open (water) QB-296
Asslt Small Village QB-278
Meet Large Open QB-095
Meet Large Village (bocage) QB-086
Meet Med Town QB-291
Meet Small Open QB-292
Meet Small Rough (bocage) QB-072

Edit: credits for making all these screenshots go to sttp:

Edited by Kevin2k

3 hours ago, Artkin said:

@Kevin2k Maps 252, 80 109, 127 look great. These were from the base + CW folder

Good choices. Here they are in form that will load in CMSF2, with no buildings that is.

https://we.tl/t-QAnT21pdA2

Other things will also be wrong. Like flavor objects and fences.

I found it most practical to, for example, take a photo with an iPad from the map as shown in CMBN and to keep that displayed as a quick reference for the buildings. Also to run CMSF2 and CMBN editors simultaneously, then task-switch to crosscheck things.

Edited by Kevin2k

16 minutes ago, Kevin2k said:

Good choices. Here they are in form that will load in CMSF2, with no buildings that is.

https://we.tl/t-QAnT21pdA2

Other things will also be wrong. Like flavor objects and fences.

I found it most practical to, for example, take a photo with an iPad from the map as shown in CMBN and to keep that displayed as a quick reference for the buildings. Also to run CMSF2 and CMBN editors simultaneously, then task-switch to crosscheck things.

Thank you I appreciate it very much! I will repopulate the maps even maybe expand the urban areas.

9 hours ago, Artkin said:

Thank you I appreciate it very much! I will repopulate the maps even maybe expand the urban areas.

If you deviate form the original CMCW building layout too much, do consider that it may affect the balance of the AI plans that are in such Quick Battle maps.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Vinnart said:

Yes, made it for CMBN years ago. It's so long ago I would have to hook up my old PC to get it to work on. It's made for HvH, and basically the skull forms a ridge line across the map.

Do you mean you don't have access to the file? 

If so I can send it over

2 hours ago, ViperAssassin26 said:

Anyone have the numbers for CMA? Im having trouble downloading my game on my MAC. Im looking to convert maps from there to SF2

CMA is 02.

But there are a couple very Afghani mountanous like master maps (and way, way more) in a pack recently released for SF2. Your mind will be blown when you see these maps.

Check out Liveload's June 24th post.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I've read the whole thread. I get some of the top level concept. But I think I need an eli5 summary how to.

Let me know if I get this right or what I'm off about.

You need to open the map in the original game and remove any independent buildings and possibly some flavor objects. But modular buildings should be ok. Save that out as a cleaner map.

Then edit the hex code. Change the byte that codes the game version (possibly the two other bytes) Save that out as a new file.

Then open it in the game you ported to. Use the editor to replace the independent buildings you removed. And should be good to go.

Apparently in some versions (I'm unclear witch, or when this happens) the assigned units in the scenario flip so all infantry are Russian and all vehicles are M1 tanks.

But SF2 is somehow way different and doesn't port.

Did I get that right? Did I miss something.

5 hours ago, Blackhorse15A said:

I've read the whole thread. I get some of the top level concept. But I think I need an eli5 summary how to.

Let me know if I get this right or what I'm off about.

You need to open the map in the original game and remove any independent buildings and possibly some flavor objects. But modular buildings should be ok. Save that out as a cleaner map.

Then edit the hex code. Change the byte that codes the game version (possibly the two other bytes) Save that out as a new file.

Then open it in the game you ported to. Use the editor to replace the independent buildings you removed. And should be good to go.

Apparently in some versions (I'm unclear witch, or when this happens) the assigned units in the scenario flip so all infantry are Russian and all vehicles are M1 tanks.

But SF2 is somehow way different and doesn't port.

Did I get that right? Did I miss something.

You generally dont have to touch houses anymore. I cant edit my post since its been so long. 

Just go to hexed.it, open a map from your documents. Change the first code on the second line. Thats the game code. Change it to the new game code. Codes were posted in here somewhere. 

If you wish to port over a map from a module it has extra security so people dont steal maps that they didnt buy. You have to apply the trick I posted later in the thread with the size 72 font. I'm on mobile right now so if you dont understand I will post on my desktop later

7 hours ago, eperezsa said:

New to this threat.

Are you saying that with this conversion are we able to play desert battles? For example, converting maps from CMSF2 to CMBN or CMFI for example. 

Bye

Cmsf2, cmfi maps dont like to port to any other games. They dont like to play nice

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 12:03 PM, Artkin said:

You generally dont have to touch houses anymore. I cant edit my post since its been so long. 

Just go to hexed.it, open a map from your documents. Change the first code on the second line. Thats the game code. Change it to the new game code. Codes were posted in here somewhere. 

Thanks for the reply. From your other comment, looks like my problem may be that I'm working mainly with CMSF2 maps. That may be my trouble. I'll try again next sale when I pick up Black Sea.

On 2/15/2023 at 9:58 PM, Blackhorse15A said:

Thanks for the reply. From your other comment, looks like my problem may be that I'm working mainly with CMSF2 maps. That may be my trouble. I'll try again next sale when I pick up Black Sea.

Yep thats the issue. Sf2 will only port maps back and fourth between CMBN version 1.0 as far as I know. @37mm has managed to import a few maps from CMBN into CMSF2 if I'm not mistaken. I don't own a 1.0 copy so I can't do anything about it.