The Official Map Conversion Thread

14 minutes ago, Artkin said:

I've never had an issue with units in files. Scenarios and campaigns (When broken down) seem to port over very nicely. Certainly more successfully than master maps.

But what happens then, for example when you port a scenario from CMBN to CMRT?  The game cannot automatically transform the included US/British units to Soviet equivalents.

1 hour ago, Kevin2k said:

But what happens then, for example when you port a scenario from CMBN to CMRT?  The game cannot automatically transform the included US/British units to Soviet equivalents.

You will get a real weird troop composition

21 hours ago, Artkin said:

This is correct. For cmbs: all infantry wind up as Russian command squads (7 men). And all vehicles end up m1a2 abrams... interesting stuff HAHA

Interesting that it works at all. So what does this mean in practice? That you can use the scenario but have to redefine all units, and does that mean that the AI plans and scripting needs to be redone as well?

14 minutes ago, Kevin2k said:

Interesting that it works at all. So what does this mean in practice? That you can use the scenario but have to redefine all units, and does that mean that the AI plans and scripting needs to be redone as well?

Nope everything stays the same. You can pick up and play the scenario! Just with ak74s and m1a2s.. :)

Edited by Artkin

If i converted all of the CMFB quick battle maps to CMCW for use in quick battles, and posted the converted maps on CM mods warehouse would i be breaking any rules?

I have seen some CMBS quick battle maps converted to WW2 titles and released as packs.

Edited by Stagler

2 hours ago, Stagler said:

If i converted all of the CMFB quick battle maps to CMCW for use in quick battles, and posted the converted maps on CM mods warehouse would i be breaking any rules?

I have seen some CMBS quick battle maps converted to WW2 titles and released as packs.

Yeah I wouldn't do that. I think what we have here is nice as it is and I wouldn't push it. 

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@DesertFox

It is probably impossible.The terrain design in CMSF2 is completely different from the other games. It is only similar in CMA. That's why I converted all the maps from CMA to CMSF2 without any problem. With the maps from the other games I have not been able to do this despite repeated attempts. It's a pity, because they would be useful for the Euroscape mod.

7 hours ago, DesertFox said:

Anyone with any success importing CM:CW or CM:BS maps into CM:SF2?

I have like 10 Quick-Battle maps converted from CM Normandy - Commonwealth module to CMSF2. Newer CMBN maps won't allow for that trick, and older CMBN maps aren't the most desirable, but the Commonwealth module had a few nice ones. I had to remove all buildings for this process within the old version of CMBN, and then in CMSF2 put them back again, by hand. I can upload them to my website, if you like.

3 hours ago, Kevin2k said:

I have like 10 Quick-Battle maps converted from CM Normandy - Commonwealth module to CMSF2. Newer CMBN maps won't allow for that trick, and older CMBN maps aren't the most desirable, but the Commonwealth module had a few nice ones. I had to remove all buildings for this process within the old version of CMBN, and then in CMSF2 put them back again, by hand. I can upload them to my website, if you like.

Hey cool! Sure, please load them up. Highly appreciated.

• 4 months later...
On 2/21/2022 at 12:12 PM, Kevin2k said:

How do you get your hands on the old version of CMBN? Also is CW the newest we can go? I assume that was the first module

19 hours ago, Artkin said:

How do you get your hands on the old version of CMBN? Also is CW the newest we can go? I assume that was the first module

That is a though question. Either one saved that version back then when it was current, or.. not much else that is proper.

1 hour ago, Kevin2k said:

That is a though question. Either one saved that version back then when it was current, or.. not much else that is proper.

How big is the installer? Maybe we can have it transferred here. I've been playing SF2 but the terrain is pretty disappointing. there are a few maps I can think of that may port. 

THEORY: I wonder if CMBN had the classic trenches like CMSF at one point. Then they updated how maps worked and that may have broken it. 

5 minutes ago, Artkin said:

How big is the installer? Maybe we can have it transferred here. I've been playing SF2 but the terrain is pretty disappointing. there are a few maps I can think of that may port. 

THEORY: I wonder if CMBN had the classic trenches like CMSF at one point. Then they updated how maps worked and that may have broken it. 

One could download the old patches, for example like this:

https://www.patches-scrolls.com/dl.php?file=cmbn_v111_patch.zip

Force install them over a current CMBN and then move out any .brz files from the data folder that are newer then the executable.

But then the whole attempt hits a wall: You need an old working serial for the matching engine version, then also use it on a Windows OS that is compatible with the older DRM versions, like Windows XP. Such a serial can no longer be purchased.

I may be able to help to clear out an old CMBN/CW map for porting. As long as I don't have to help with repopulating them with houses of the right type with the right window/door configuration. That is the time consuming part.