The Official Map Conversion Thread

Campaigns you can break down with a tool - Uncam

Extract the uncam executable file in the same directory as the campaign you want to break down.

Then, you can individually convert those .btt's over in Hexed.it just like normal. The units will all be messed up. You will really only have the maps and their AI plans.

I haven't converted any campaign files over YET.. ;)

1 hour ago, Redwolf said:

Hard to imagine that a little hex editing on map files does any damage to their DRM...

Yes, it all looks safe and couldn't possibly harm BFC, however there are two specific cases where it does. It clearly hasn't occurred to anyone, I am merely sounding a strong note of caution and I'd advise him to remove these posts regarding the module check until he's ok'd it with them.

It's possible BFC won't care.... I hope so.

Maybe the implications won't occur to them either... but better to be safe...

If I uploaded something that makes sense. Also I own everything so it shouldn't be a big deal to anyone.

This country's legal system is ****ed. I'm tinkering with my own files, same as if I had a vehicle and I wanted to change something.  How it's illegal to alter files that you own, is ridiculous.

Thanks though.

1 minute ago, Artkin said:

How it's illegal to alter files that you own, is ridiculous.

According to BF you don't own it. They sell you the license keys to use it. What you do on your PC is your business but you can't sell your altered files or your games. I understand that is their concern

6 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

According to BF you don't own it. They sell you the license keys to use it. What you do on your PC is your business but you can't sell your altered files or your games. I understand that is their concern

Yeah that's all good and all.

I actually knew about the licensing out software. It's cracked out. People can reverse engineer objects just as easily as they can reverse engineer software. They can just distribute software faster lol.

@Irididdle

You can try the stubborn trick mentioned above.

This trick pretty much makes ANY map playable on ANY game. (So long as youre not swapping between Shock Force)

For instance:

Final Blitzkrieg's massive MASTER MAPs were unplayable in pretty much any game. Now, with the trick, they can be converted to any game.

@Jace11@BornGinger

This isn't about being malicious. Nor is it only about the battlepacks, F&R.. etc... It goes much deeper than that. All the trick seems to do is clear the maps of being owned by a particular game.

Now, instead of having to search for troublemaker houses in CMFB, as I did earlier in this thread, you can just use the trick.

I am free to debate on this thread...

Edited by Artkin

Steve mentioned in the interview that they explored the use of converting maps, and they used it for CMBS QB maps. So I'm pretty sure BFC doesn't give a **** about us converting maps in the first place. If I was uploading them that is a totally different story.

On 5/7/2021 at 3:12 AM, Artkin said:

Steve mentioned in the interview that they explored the use of converting maps, and they used it for CMBS QB maps. 

They used it for Cold War as well, because some QB maps are from Black Sea, some are from Red Thunder.

5 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Regardless of whether or not you're right or wrong, your method of communication really needs some serious recalibration.

You know what, you're right. I come off as an dick because I always see these things as simple. But I come from years of wargaming, so I know what works and what doesn't work. I was really bothered that day and I really shouldn't have said or posted anything. I don't know what's wrong with me

Edited by Artkin

On 7/16/2020 at 3:49 AM, Ivan Zaitzev said:

Has anyone managed to convert maps to work in CMA? I'm trying with a very simple map from CMBN to CMA and it doesn't load.

I managed to port the CMA maps to CMSF2, cause CMSF2 is able to load CMSF1 maps.

Unfortunatly I can't port them to any other games then. Any ideas here?

On 5/3/2021 at 4:21 AM, Artkin said:

Historically this has been done though:

A CMSF scenario to CMRT (Don't ask me how he managed to do that........)

Since I did the conversion: I had no problem with this scenario back then. Maybe it's just a very compatible scenario, or it had something to do with the engine version back then.

P.S.: Just found an Engine v3 executable for CMBN and tried to load a CMSF 2 quick battle map in the editor. The map wasn't loaded, but the game didn't crashed. When I try to load the same map with Enhine v4, the game crashed.

Edited by Scipio

8 hours ago, Scipio said:

P.S.: Just found an Engine v3 executable for CMBN and tried to load a CMSF 2 quick battle map in the editor. The map wasn't loaded, but the game didn't crashed. When I try to load the same map with Enhine v4, the game crashed.

Well this is absolutely progress. I couldn't even get the blank grass map to work. CMSF always crashed. 

Scipio is the original wizard..