The Official Map Conversion Thread

In this thread please share your map converting (from title to title) experiences.

To start, I will show how to convert Stumont from CMFB to CMBS.

For this map, open in Hexed.it (A website). Change this value to 0A for CMBS. (There are specific values for each game).

stumont-2.png

When you open this map in CMBS, it will crash when loading. This is due to a certain few buildings. Swap these buildings for modular buildings in CMBS.

stumont.png

Congrats now you have Stumont in CMBS!

Edited by Artkin

Just a lot of trial and error, shaping and reshaping maps to find these pesky troublemakers! Some maps work great out of the box (Twin Villages) but the best maps (Of course) do not. :(

I learned this when going over Nijmegen. Looking back I probably didn't have to replace everything.

Edited by Artkin

1 hour ago, Zveroboy1 said:

What are all the codes for the different games?

And would flavour object crash it too?

Unsure on flavor, 

(CM:SF = 00, CM:A = 02, CM:BN = 04, CM:FI = 06, CM:RT = 08, CM:BS = 0A, CM:FB = 0C).

Courtesy of @Kaunitz from this thread:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/125270-could-anyone-convert-qb-maps-from-bn-or-fi-to-bs/

Have you tried sbobovyc's Mutator  Artkin? It doesn't require any Hex edition, only to use a Terminal of some sort.

I've used it to convert BS and SF2 maps to all WW2 titles, simply by following DesertFox's instructions :

In Win 10 basically right-click on start and choose command (admin).

Step 1: Copy the scenario you want to convert into a folder of your choice. For simplicity sake let´s use C:\test. Also copy the mutator.exe there.

Step 2: Now start windows command prompt

Step 3: Within the command prompt navigate to C:\test

Step 4: convert your scenario to CMBS. Lets say it was called ABC.btt and originally created for CMRT.

Step 5: Type the following in the command prompt: "mutator.exe - t CMBS ABC.btt"

then press ENTER and your CMRT scen will be converted to a file named ABC_CMBS.btt

Step 6: Copy the converted file to your CMBS scen folder

Enjoy!

Edited July 13, 2017 by DesertFox

I have tried this but ran into the same issue as the hex editor (iirc). Which is the independent buildings sneaking their way in after conversion. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

The hex editor is insanely fast. Upload file (It refers to the same directory every time so its fast), change value, export file to downloads. Then move into QB folder. 

I couldnt get sbob's tool to work last time I tried it. It ran once through windows powershell (A bloody miracle I figured it out). Though, a bunch of maps didnt survive and needed to be manually edited. 

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

BREAKTHROUGH! WE HAVE F&R, BP1, AND BSBP IN EVERY NEW TITLE!

THE TRADITIONAL WAY:

1. Visit Hexed.it (A website)

2. Click   "Open file" on the top.

3. Navigate to your CM maps in the window that opens up. (Typically CM will install the program in Program files (x86) -> Battlefront -> Combat Mission-> CMBS. Maps are typically installed to (Documents -> Battlefront -> Combat Mission -> CMBS -> Game Files)

4. Select the map you wish to convert and open in Hex editor.

4.png

5. There is one byte (One of the boxes with 00 in it) that needs to be changed. Each game has a different number to symbolize what game the map belongs to. "0A" is for CMBS. 0C is CMFB. 04 is CMBN. 06 is CMFI. 12 is CMCW. 00 is CMSF2. We are transferring this CMBS file to CMCW. So replace the 0A by typing 12.

5.png

6. Click export at the top after changing the number. The file is now a CMCW file with the change of the single byte "0A" to "12".

7. The file should export to your downloads folder (Check to see where the file actually goes.. you can double check by clicking export again.. as it will ask you where to place the file.. then you can see where it goes.).

Move the file from your downloads to the appropriate folder.

For instance: We converted a CMBS QB map. So it will be placed in the appropriate CMCW QB map folder.

EXTRA: You can add subfolders to the QB maps folder for particular titles, for organization purposes. You can explore these subfolders in the editor, so it's cool. They organize your folder so it looks pretty. Just remember to save the file (When you have it open in the editor) and place it out of the subfolder, so when you click Battle or Quick Battle on the main game screen, the maps will actually show. Of course you can always find them in the editor just fine. But the main game won't pick up the files unless they are directly in Documents -> CMCW -> QB maps.

They won't show if you have them in a subfolder such as Documents -> CMCW -> QB maps -> Conversions

sure.png

THE NEW WAY: FOR STUBBORN FILES

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THIS:

F-R.png

Edited by Artkin

1 hour ago, mjkerner said:

Thanks Artkin!  I always scratched my head when I tried the Hex Editor in the past. How did you figure out what numbers represent particular games? Trial and error?

From earlier in the thread:

On 2/18/2019 at 9:41 PM, Artkin said:

Unsure on flavor, 

(CM:SF = 00, CM:A = 02, CM:BN = 04, CM:FI = 06, CM:RT = 08, CM:BS = 0A, CM:FB = 0C).

Courtesy of @Kaunitz from this thread:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/125270-could-anyone-convert-qb-maps-from-bn-or-fi-to-bs/

OR, open in Hexed.it and check the number yourself, as I did with CMCW since the number was unknown. ;)

You are welcome.

It's all good.

UPDATE: Sections of Berlin work, but there are trouble areas. These are probably custom buildings. One day I will hunt them down.

For the most part the rest of F&R works. QB's and Scenarios.

Edited by Artkin

I think you should probably check with BFC before posting this new info. It may (does) circumvent a form of their copy protection.

(Anyone who read this post before I edited it should understand what I mean)

Edited by Jace11

43 minutes ago, Jace11 said:

I think you should probably check with BFC before posting this info. It may circumvent a form of their copy protection.

(Anyone who read this post before I edited it should understand what I mean)

Hard to imagine that a little hex editing on map files does any damage to their DRM...

Consider:

1 hour ago, Artkin said:

It's all good.

UPDATE: Sections of Berlin work, but there are trouble areas. These are probably custom buildings. One day I will hunt them down.

For the most part the rest of F&R works. QB's and Scenarios.

So its maps, scenarios...

Also campaigns....?

Edited by Jace11