Canadian Forces Composition

I haven't played the original CMSF and for my pre-order of this version, I bought the base game + British combo I was simply wondering what the Canadian forces in this game consist of and what their missions are based around, I know in real life we did similar jobs as the Americans in Afghanistan so I wonder if the playstyle is much like the other western nations just less of. Anyways, any info on the composition is much appreciated

I did not play much with the Canadians but their official TO&E is here: https://www.battlefront.com/shock-force-2/cmsf2-nato-module/?tab=toe

MAJOR FORMATIONS (NOT A COMPLETE LIST)

• Tank Squadron
  • Mech Infantry Battalion
  • Independent Battlegroup
  • Rifle Company
  • Engineer Company (Independent)

VEHICLES

• Leopard 1 A5 C2
  • Leopard 2A4+
  • Leopard 2A6 M
  • LAV I BISON
  • LAV III ISC
  • LAV III CP
  • LAV III TOW
  • LAV III FOO
  • Nyala HMG
  • Nyala RWS
  • G Wagon
  • G Wagon Turreted

HEAVY WEAPONS

• C6 MG
  • M2HB
  • M72A7 LAW
  • Carl Gustav
  • Eryx
  • M19 60mm Light Mortar
  • L16 81mm Medium Mortar

SMALL ARMS

• C3A1
  • C7A2
  • C7A2 w/ M203 grenade launcher
  • C8A2
  • C8A2 w/ M203 grenade launcher
  • C9
  • C14
  • C15

ARTILLERY SUPPORT

• C3 81mm mortar
  • LG Mark 2 105mm howitzer
  • M777 155mm howitzer
  • M1094 155mm self-propelled howitzer

AIR SUPPORT

• CF-188A

Leopard 2A4+ is no longer in the game. It got pulled and replaced. What had been in CMSF1 was (mistaken) conjecture. The real world Leopard 2A4M CAN is about 2009-10 timeframe so outside of CMSF2's scope.

There's a CMSF strategic map floating around somewhere that shows the Canadian's zone of operation. The Canadian campaign is centered around Tall Tamir and As Hasakah, the far northeast corner of Syria. The area of much ISIS fighting this past year.

Interesting factiod about Leopard C2.
When Canada found themselves in need of additional tanks they went so far as to pull a number of old Leopard 1s from 'gate guardian' duty, basically oversized lawn ornaments. These were Leopard 1A3s whose welded turrets as been replaced by surplus cast German Leopard 1a5 turrets. For Afghanistan duty a small number received a hefty MEXAS armor upgrade performed by the German firm IBD Deisenroth Engineering. So the C2s in the game are not your typical Leopard C2 but the rare bulked-up fancy version.

I didn't realize before now that MEXAS is a German product! I am surprised!

We also bought back the CH-47s we had sold to the Dutch, and the Kingston Class patrol ships had bofors guns taken off war monuments.

Of course, by the time of CMSF the Afghan war had led to a pretty impressive procurement blitz and we were flush with new kit, most of which had filtered down to battalion in large numbers.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:18 PM, MikeyD said:

Leopard 2A4+ is no longer in the game. It got pulled and replaced. What had been in CMSF1 was (mistaken) conjecture. The real world Leopard 2A4M CAN is about 2009-10 timeframe so outside of CMSF2's scope.

So your mod is for CMSF1 only now?  That's a shame.  :(

I used to play the Canadians quite a bit and was frustrated at their infantry's lack of any decent  hand held,  infantry AT systems. You could acquire the 84mm, in mech units. but it only had HE ammo, leaving the poor squaddies to deal with tanks using the LAW's, which were somewhat ineffective against anything decent.

1 hour ago, Milites said:

I used to play the Canadians quite a bit and was frustrated at their infantry's lack of any decent  hand held,  infantry AT systems. You could acquire the 84mm, in mech units. but it only had HE ammo, leaving the poor squaddies to deal with tanks using the LAW's, which were somewhat ineffective against anything decent.

I was on an exercise with my local reserve unit (I live near Vancouver BC) and I was hanging out with some infantry guys and they said that if they ever went to war with Russia the plan was to sit on our side of a hill, wait for the tank to roll across, then shoot it in the ass and kill it, then get killed by dismounted infantry. So that pretty much sums up our AT capabilities.

(I have however drafted a plan to get enemy tanks stuck in pads of stale maple syrup yet to be approved from the DOD)

Canadians have SRAAW (H), otherwise known as Eryx. Effective range 600m, 900mm armor penetration with a tandem warhead. SRAAW (M), otherwise known as Carl Gustav, only does 400m penetration. The SRAAW (L), otherwise known as LAW, penetrates about 350mm, And they have the LAVIII TOW.

Beta team just took delivery of the new manuals for all the modules :D

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a puff piece about the TLAV.

Note that '08 was a particularly rough year, anyone who served on 1-08 is pretty tough hombre. 

02.jpg

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/tlav-shines-in-afghanistan

As for anti-tank drills, Afghanistan drove procurement after the budget cuts of the 90's. Carl Gs and M72s are useful for breaking up grape huts, expensive kit like Javelin and MILAN less so. The Eryx already in inventory would be sufficient for operations in Syria in '12 I think.