Power Hour

Rinaldi

A new scenario for you all; Blue vs. AI, or H2H only. H2H very much reccomended, as it will be a trivial scenario otherwise. An outdated version is already on the scenario depot. While I wait on Bootie to update the file, the newest version can be found here.

The premise of the scenario is a deliberate attack to penetrate and pass through a Russian MLR to establish, far-side security, and protect the brigade from counterattack as it completes its mission. Russians as a result put a low priority on force preservation, but a very high priority on attriting the enemy. The asymmetry in objectives provides a good measure of balance. The US player can demolish the bulk of the Russian force but if they take too many losses - of any nature, even mobility - the Russian player will likely win. To date, I haven't been able to score higher than a draw against my playtesters.

sHOVBKu.png

In the above match, the US failed to exit with 9 Bradleys and a platoon of abrams, giving the Russians a victory for attrition. A big thanks to Herr Tom for giving us an example of good vehicle fighting positions, which I use heavily. I reccomend the more experienced player goes REDFOR and that they use the pause command heavily. About two companies equivalent per side.

Some screens:

6zIOQQH.png

KTYtYdi.png

g5UKFNj.png

7bO2mrX.png

ds876VU.png

Edited by Rinaldi

Having play tested this as both BluFor and RedFor I can attest to the difficulty posed to BluFor. The Russians will likely lose the vast majority of their vehicles, and a good amount of their Infantry, but if played properly they have a more than better chance of winning the scenario. 

As the US, you cannot afford to make mistakes, both in your overall plan, or in your execution. Without spoiling anything, my one piece of advice for the US player is to keep your forces together. Meaning, do not divide your forces into independent elements that cannot mutually support one another. This is a tactical no no in real life that will really hurt you here if you commit it. 

Its a great scenario, great map, and a ton of fun!

On 8/18/2017 at 9:16 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Nice map.....Looks like tank-country to me.  B)

Cheers, thanks. It is indeed; very subtle and rolling terrain; lots of good cover for BLUFOR to minimize exposure to KORNETs and Bastions/Arkans. 

On 8/19/2017 at 5:40 AM, IICptMillerII said:

...keep your forces together. Meaning, do not divide your forces into independent elements that cannot mutually support one another. This is a tactical no no in real life that will really hurt you here if you commit it. 

Good advice and very true; but you also have to consider potential counterattacks if you stall out on enemy minefields or withering artillery fire. I have to say I'm very impressed with it. Thank you again for play testing, I know you enjoyed it as much as I did 

On 8/18/2017 at 6:27 AM, Rinaldi said:

A big thanks to Herr Tom for giving us an example of good vehicle fighting positions, which I use heavily.

Hah!  I stole them from Ian, I think.  I forget...  One of these days I'll finish Road to Odessa.  In the meantime it looks like you've given me something to distract me...

Find an opponent who's willing to grit his teeth and you should be in for a tough match - as either side. Its sadly very easy as BLUFOR if you make it singleplayer. The REDFOR vehicles will pop smoke and retreat but won't re enter alternate fighting positions until a trigger is met; by which point its often too late.

I have a few more H2H scenarios cooked up in my mind; one is still being mapped and the other is on a pre-made master map. Watch this space.

The scenario depot now has the most updated map file.

Edited by Rinaldi

15 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Is it different to the one at the address in the first post? 

It is yes, a few force adjustments (forgot to give every Russian fighting position an FO team, a glaring oversight) resolved. The file on Scenario Depot is now the most updated one.

• 4 weeks later...

v2 released: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzk0WVH5NChWdlFVX2wzZE1HMWs (link in original post also updated).

Will be updated on TSDIII when I can find it in my heart to pester Bootie again. 

lmv8DEV.png

Change log: 

• Managed to figure out how to get ATGM ammo dumps for the REDFOR player - AT-14s should now have no issues with ammo.*
  • Rationalized points for both sides a wee bit; Americans expected to take a few more losses.
  • Changed recommendation that 'more experienced player' goes BLU. Win rate for BLUFOR is (as hoped for!) fairly low in H2H. 
  • Changed errors in Briefing, graphics, etc.

* I play on Warrior and thus all my scenarios are designed around that - which means this ammo is automatically distributed. I am currently filming a PBEM of an attack (and a defense) and can tell you that the extra ammo only punishes the American if they lack the aggression to close distance. The extra ammo is more a realism factor for a prepared position. 

That about wraps up development on this one. Unless I can figure out how to get ammo dumps for Iglas to work, in which case a v3 will be released.

Enjoy!

Edited by Rinaldi

• 1 month later...

New version of power hour released. Shane is currently on holiday in Ibiza and will upload to TSDIII when he returns.

lmv8DEV.png

For now the new version can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzk0WVH5NChWdlFVX2wzZE1HMWs/view?usp=sharing

CHANGELOG V2:

• Accidentally forgot to give the Americans credit for ammo preservation (>50%) - which is why I ended up with a draw in my match with @Saint_Fuller:P
  • Improved fighting positions for the Russians further; this will allow BMP-3Ms to engage with much greater ease
  • Adjusted objectives; more breakdown in points for vehicles for the Russian side.
  • Adjusted objectives; Russian total points reduced from 1500
  • Adjusted objectives; US player total points increased to 1250 
  • Reduced Russian TRPs; changed artillery package to match with what is stated in briefing (added a battery of 152s)
  • Added ammo caches for AT-14s
  • Changed recommendation from experienced player REDFOR to BLUFOR 

Final playtest video; also can be found in Screenshot thread. Only difference between the video and the release is a slight improvement in fighting positions and the ammo preservation gaffe. Spoilers, obviously. 

That'll be that for this scenario, hopefully.