Bug with engineers and Satchel Charges

On 4/3/2017 at 9:20 AM, Swant said:

I found that a full team of engineers will use 2 Satchel Charges when using blast. If you split them before they will only use 1.

Good to know as Satchel Charges are allways in short supply.

That's interesting to know.  I always split my squads so I never noticed.  Now I have another reason to administratively split an engineer squad.  Thanks for posting your observation. 

I just did a quick experiment.  An engineer squad used three of six demo charges to Blast.  It then used two of three for a second Blast the following turn.   Every time just one explosion was visually seen and heard.  If anybody was not already splitting engineer squads into teams, prior to Blasting, they should seriously consider it now.   

2 hours ago, Muzzleflash1990 said:

Could it be that when they use more charges to blast there is a larger concussive effect on any potential occupants (e.g. you blast into a building)?

In addition to Blasting into a building I also had engineers Blast through tall walls.  The breach through the tall wall was the same size no matter if multiple demo charges were expended or just one.  So while I did not do a proper test for a larger concussive effect I suspect there is no difference.   

39 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

<Snip>  satchel charges are invaluable in urban warfare.

I agree.  This makes me curious as to how long un-split engineer squads have used multiple demo charges without anybody noticing/posting about it.  As long as a player is splitting the engineer squad into teams this won't effect them.  However I don't think this use of multiple demos on one Blast is intended behavior. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually I just tried this out in a casual game I'm playing VS the computer. I ordered a combined squad of two teams of engineers to blast a hole in a hedgerow, taking note that they had 6 charges before doing that. After the blast, they correctly had the expected 5 charges. So I could not reproduce the bug.

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Actually I just tried this out in a casual game I'm playing VS the computer. I ordered a combined squad of two teams of engineers to blast a hole in a hedgerow, taking note that they had 6 charges before doing that. After the blast, they correctly had the expected 5 charges. So I could not reproduce the bug.

I wonder if the object getting Blasted also plays a role.  When I did my quick experiment I Blasted tall walls and the walls of buildings.  I didn't try bocage. 

11 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I was going to tell you to try the first mission in the Courage Conquers campagin, when I found another strange bug.

First they have 6 charges, next turn they only have 3, and after they blasts they still have 3

Edit: Ok I made the screenshot too small but you just have to trust me :)

CM Normandy1.gif

CM Normandy 2.gif

CM Normandy3.gif

Edited by Swant

38 minutes ago, Swant said:

First they have 6 charges, next turn they only have 3, and after they blasts they still have 3

I think that might be because the charges used during a turn are subtracted at the very start of the turn. Works the same way with grenades.

But I don't know if it's working as intended that 3 charges be spent for doing one blast command... I've never seen it happen.

The first screenshot is the setup phase in the begining of the campaign. The engineers appers to have 6 charges. I gave them a quickorder followed by a blast order.

In the second screenshot is the execution of the first order phase (the repaly), so it is right after I clicked on the red "go button". Here the engineers suddenly appers to have only have 3 charges.

In the third screenshot I have clicked the red button a second time and the engineers have executed the blast command. They now appers to still have 3 charges.

Maybe it is the Juju's interface mod that is the problem?

9 hours ago, Swant said:

The first screenshot is the setup phase in the begining of the campaign. The engineers appers to have 6 charges. I gave them a quickorder followed by a blast order.

In the second screenshot is the execution of the first order phase (the repaly), so it is right after I clicked on the red "go button". Here the engineers suddenly appers to have only have 3 charges.

In the third screenshot I have clicked the red button a second time and the engineers have executed the blast command. They now appers to still have 3 charges.

There is a bug when using unsplit squads to Blast certain objects.  However I think @Bulletpoint has the answer to your specific situation Swant.  See below. 

17 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I think that might be because the charges used during a turn are subtracted at the very start of the turn. Works the same way with grenades. <Snip> 

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

There is a bug when using unsplit squads to Blast certain objects.  However I think @Bulletpoint has the answer to your specific situation Swant.  See below. 

Ok yes that was it.

It took two turns to blast through thats why I didn't think that was the reason, however they actually got started balsting the first turn.

On 2017-05-20 at 10:39 AM, Bulletpoint said:

I think that might be because the charges used during a turn are subtracted at the very start of the turn. Works the same way with grenades.

But I don't know if it's working as intended that 3 charges be spent for doing one blast command... I've never seen it happen.

This was the qoute I was going for 2 posts up. Dam I didnt bring my A-game to this thread.