Muddy Conditions?

There has been many threads on this.  My opinion is speed has no impact on bogging. Some things that I think do are: Ground conditions, ground tile (Mud etc.), vehicle off road rating and according to the engine manual commander experience. 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

5 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

<Snip>  One thing that has annoyed me recently is when vehicles bog whilst following a route that 3 or 4 other vehicles have already traversed with no problem. 

LOL that would be annoying.  I guess you could look at it as the ground was being increasingly churned up as each vehicle passed until it became a bog.  But then that immersion of course would be dashed when a different vehicle on a following turn drove through without a problem :lol:.

I think that the ground getting increasingly churned up makes a lot of sense. Whether it happens in the game "under the hood" is something only Steve and the boys in the band actually know. It would probably be far too complicated to create a "churned up" graphic effect. I do like to have my vehicles follow one another if they are going through obstacles such as fences, so that only the lead vehicle damages it's tracks. But I might have to think about the dangers of bogging a bit more in future.

20 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

There has been many threads on this.  My opinion is speed has no impact on bogging. Some things that I think do are: Ground conditions, ground tile (Mud etc.), vehicle off road rating and according to the engine manual commander experience. 

I have to concur, but its far from definitive. When I was playtesting the excellent Parroy Forest scenario I tried to pay attention to how my tanks behaved in the mud; which was a key tactical issue for the attacking US. The attrition rate on forcing a platoon sized unit even at the slowest pace through a muddy sideroad was atrocious. I lost 3/5ths of them to immobilization despite the low speed.

I haven't had the time or inclination to set up a test on a small map but its on the list of things to do when I'm finished with my next AAR and map editing.

7 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

would probably be far too complicated to create a "churned up" graphic effect.

It can be done though, CM already has active ground deformation with cratering - when many more modern games try to emulate it instead with a texture and a bump map. Debate around complications aside it would probably put more unneeded load on your CPU for something niche enough to be abstracted without taking away from the fidelity of the game.

Lol, I assume you guys haven't done a lot of "off-roading". You can get bogged and the vehicle following you sails right past you. A lot of factors to take into consideration, including which muddy rut you are trying to track. So for me, if the 3rd vehicle bogs but the 4th doesn't, it doesn't kill the immersion.

Mud terrain tile and 'muddy conditions' are different things. In muddy conditions anything beside hard/rocky ground or paved road is a menace. I've found myself hop-scotching my vehicles from rocky patch to rocky patch in bad conditions. Also, I recall hearing that if you have heavy rain the ground will become increasingly problematic. You may not start with muddy conditions but you could still end up immobilized halfway through gameplay.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2017 at 10:11 AM, Rinaldi said:

When I was playtesting the excellent Parroy Forest scenario I tried to pay attention to how my tanks behaved in the mud; which was a key tactical issue for the attacking US.

Thanks for the kind words Rinaldi. Mud is a pain to deal with. But it's a must in this historical scenario, 

Kevin

ForetDeParroyBattlebook.pdf

http://www.privateletters.net/featured_foretdeparroy.html

Edited by kevinkin