Creating Commandos?

I want to make some british commandos wearing the green beret instead of the usual tin helmet, I was thinking i could adapt the Tank forces beret, the only thing is i'm on a Mac and we still CANT see the original files, so i havent got the original bmp's and MDR files. Is this doable and if so can somebody send me over the relevant files. Cheers

• 1 month later...

I did this once. British use two kinds of Helmets, one with net and the other without net. So with a lot of help from kohlenklaum I managed to create a mix of helmet and bereted troops. The downside is that you can't use commandos and regular troops on the same battle. It's basically Darknight (DC) Mod updated to work with the latest files, so all the files where created by him.

There might be better Commando uniforms out there, don't remember which one I used.

I would recommend using Engineers to represent the Commandos, their platoon structure is similar.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rwq4lj3dpys5uu/Commandos.7z?dl=0

On 19/12/2016 at 2:45 PM, Father Ted said:

To me the green berets represent the Royal Marines.

In 50% of cases, they're the same thing.

Dunno what the Army Commandos wore in 1944 - tin helmets I suppose. The knit hats were more for raiding than conventional warfare (which is basically what the Commandos - be it Army or Royal Marine - were doing in 1944).

3 hours ago, JonS said:

The knit hats were more for raiding than conventional warfare (which is basically what the Commandos - be it Army or Royal Marine - were doing in 1944).

Good point. By this point in the war, the policy of hit and run raids just to be doing something, anything, against the German empire had become superfluous. But now you had these bands of highly trained fighters who needed employment. One solution might have been to disband them and send the men back to their original units, where their training, experience, and leadership might have proven invaluable. But organizations once created can be very hard to get rid of (and besides they were Churchill's pets). So, from about the time of Torch onward, their primary role became more and more as spearheads of large scale amphibious operations.

Michael

7 hours ago, Sailor Malan2 said:

Of course, whether anyone really wore berets or other soft headgear in CM style combat (i.e. not ultra-stealthy raids) is probably debatable...

Pish and posh, I never understood the obsessive need for historical accuracy with mods. You want knit wool watch caps, go ahead and do it!

Go nuts!

3 hours ago, TheForwardObserver said:

I thank you! Let's have some silly hats!

• 2 weeks later...

31460755984_f01f48a6de_c.jpg

Lord Lovat on the way to the Orne, lol so we got berets and shoulder patches, the only thing is how can i lose the cloth cap as i dont think any comms used these during the Normandy campaign? Suggestions please TheForwardObserver. And thanks for posting bud coming on really well. Cheers