The Best War Movie

Hey All,

What movie do you all think is the best war movie made?

We all know there are going to be a lot of Saving Private Ryan fans, deservedly so, but what other movies do you think could knock this monster from the top of the heap?

Personally I really liked "The Beast" but I have others...

Jeff

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say "das boot" too, its an alltime classic. "A bridge too far" will also be high on my list. I would also like to recommend "a midnight clear", its not the best warmovie but its a nice little one...

Goodnight!

Pesonally I think the Russian movie "Come And See",is the best war movie,or it really should be Anti-war movie,that ive ever seen.Its an absolute masterpiece,and if it doesnt send an icy shiver down your back and leave you emotionally drained and open mouthed at the end then you aint Human.Incidentally does anyone know of a source for this movie on video,pref' wide screen,as my copy was made from a TV showing and is pretty poor quality.

I'd have to agree w/Speedy. "Das Boot" A true classic, directors cut or theatrical release.

However, I'd like to HIGHLY recommend one that is often overlooked.

"Battleground." It was released in 1949, starred Van Johnson and James Whitmore. The director, William Wellman won the Academy Award for it that year. It is a very realistic, gritty movie about a 101st Abn squad in the Battle of the Bulge. A "film noir" war movie if you will. It was quite a controversial movie as it portrayed American troops breaking under fire and running away (which was still a "no no" at that time). The battles are staged quite realistically; quick chaotic firefights, and not the huge, staged epic battles ala "The Longest Day" (I dig the "Longest Day" too . . . any movie w/the Duke AND Sean Connery is cool).

------------------

I used to have a life, now I have CM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mg:

I have to say "das boot" too, its an alltime classic. "A bridge too far" will also be high on my list. I would also like to recommend "a midnight clear", its not the best warmovie but its a nice little one...

Goodnight!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

midnight clear is a GREAT flick

"Battleground" is what started my into WW2 wargaming. Amazing movie.

"That's fer dang sure."

Amazed that no one has said Saving Pvt. Ryan. Whether you liked the movie or not, simply the greatest war scene of any movie, anywhere.

------------------

Jeff Newell

TankDawg

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TankDawg:

Amazed that no one has said Saving Pvt. Ryan. Whether you liked the movie or not, simply the greatest war scene of any movie, anywhere.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd definitely put "Saving Pvt Ryan" in the top 5. The Omaha Beach scene was utterly stunning on the big screen (ain't too shabby on DVD). I think the sound effects were particularly good. The sound of bullets smacking the sand or zinging through the air actually made me want to scrunch my head down.

"The Battle of Britain" and the original "All Quiet on the Western Front" would round out my top 5 ("Das Boot" and "Battleground" being 1 & 2).

------------------

I used to have a life, now I have CM.

Go here if any of u are looking for rare WWII videos. http://www.sonic.net/~bstone/blitzbooks/reich.html

On the topic of war vides/dvds etc.I

have got Greatest Battles DVD 3 Pack.

Its ok for a documentary, an American perspective, to me propaganda showing why they fight.

From the "WHY WE FIGHT SERIES"

Id rate it a 6 outta ten for value.

I hate propaganda crap, theres alot of non war stuff on thee as well.

As for movies well SPR on DVD has got awesome sounds, the movie was ok 8/10.

DAS BOOT extended on DVD 9/10 its pretty good.

I enjoyed Kellys Heroes more for humour but 9/10 all the same.

The thin red line was ok as well, but it went a little too psychological 7/10.

Im after the Finnish war vid which im waiting for, and im ordering A rare SS video hopefully they will be sweet. They will be 10/10 i hope.

I prefer real war footage movies at present as the movies tend to suck.

Im still waiting for that perfect war movie like most of us.

Fingers crossed "enemy at the gates" might be half decent.

anyone have any more "new: info on it?

Gotta say Saving Private Ryan is my fav movie of any kind period. I left the movie theater shaking and in a cold sweat. (shell shock?)

Das Boot would be second.

Midway would have to be my third cuz the day after a saw it i went out and bought the game and started my war gaming career.

Another vote for "Das Boot".

------------------

"You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

--Dr. Strangelove--

"We shall crush this evil...and rangers and hamsters everywhere shall rejoice!"

--Minsc, Baldur's Gate II--

Guest Silesian-jaeger

"Heaven And Earth" (no not the Vietnam movie, the Samurai movie by Haruki Kadokawa, filmed w/ over 10,000 extras. You thought Braveheart had great battle scenes? "A Bridge Too Far", and yes, "Saving Private " you know who.

------------------

"In one (German) town, Private Honey stood next to an

elderly German man and a ten-year-old boy. As the Shermans and brand-new

Pershings rumbled by the boy said,'Deutsches Panzer lind besser.' Honey

looked down at him and asked,'If

German tanks are better,

why aren't they here?' "

quote from Stephen E. Ambrose, "Citizen Soldiers"

[This message has been edited by Silesian-jaeger (edited 10-11-2000).]

"The Winter War" was great also. It was a "foreign-made" film that was obviously about the Finnish-Russo conflict. Lots of good battle sequences, down in the trenches, good violent family fun! biggrin.gif

And just to back it up, the exerpt from the above mentioned site.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>VHS­032. THE WINTER WAR. (1990) This is the best war film we have ever seen, bar none! Based on Antti Tuuri's book Talvisota, this is a dignified tribute to the tenacious Finnish heroes who preserved their country's independence as the Soviet army ceaselessly stormed tiny Finland's borders with massive artillery, a powerful air force and well­armed infantry for 105 days during the Soviet invasion of 1939­40. Finnish language, English subtitles. 125 min. $ 30<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Coming soon to a web near you...

The Maximus CM Mod HQ

This site will be host to a plethera of mods from myself and others.

Please send questions and comments to: davem@shawneelink.net

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 10-11-2000).]

I dunno what everyone sees in that Sub flick "Das Boot". A bit slow paced for me, but hey, that's my personal opinion.

I loved Cross of Iron and SPR.

Im about to watch Winter War and "Come and See". I especially expect great things from the latter, but until I watch it I can't really tell. Can't beat Russians for showing a good anti war movie though, with all the butchery of the Eastern front you only have to look up some records.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

A Bridge too Far, especially the hat scene, where the guy gets killed trying to bring in a canister of berets. Although in real life, he made it.

Saving Private Ryan. I have GOT to get the DVD. I have Tu es Partout as my intro music for CM, still sends chills up my spine when I hear it. The waiting...

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska