Lot of shooting to kill one man!

Was this from the scenario "Out On a Limb"? If so, I had the same thing happen there only it was even more shooting over a longer period, some thing close to two turns. That Kubelwagen was insanely tough, and the driver didn't get nailed until, like in your case, he got out of the car. I guess it must have been the specially armored version...

;)

Michael

I think this tends to reflect the game tendency for troops to shoot at "centre of mass". Thus the Kubel takes a pounding, but no one is aiming at the driver. Only once the vehicle is KO'd and the riders get out are they direct targets.
Note how quickly the driver gets nailed once he's out.

Gamey jeep rushes with 3-4 guys armed with Tommy guns and the like can be much more successful ( versus infantry only ) than you'd expect despite the passengers being totally exposed, for this reason ( note: only my opinion ).

Well, you still would think that some of those rounds might have gone through a door or the windshield or into the engine block.

Why build tanks when a kubelwagon can stand up to that?  Just put an 88 with a turret on it and you have won the war!  :)

Edited by markshot

1 hour ago, markshot said:

Well, you still would think that some of those rounds might have gone through a door or the windshield or into the engine block.

Why build tanks when a kubelwagon can stand up to that?  Just put an 88 with a turret on it and you have won the war!  :)

If it had a turret, it'd've drawn heavy calibre fire... and Kubels don't like that stuff...

7 hours ago, Baneman said:

I think this tends to reflect the game tendency for troops to shoot at "centre of mass". Thus the Kubel takes a pounding, but no one is aiming at the driver. Only once the vehicle is KO'd and the riders get out are they direct targets.
Note how quickly the driver gets nailed once he's out.

Gamey jeep rushes with 3-4 guys armed with Tommy guns and the like can be much more successful ( versus infantry only ) than you'd expect despite the passengers being totally exposed, for this reason ( note: only my opinion ).

Yes, me thinks the same...

I know we just had this discussion just recently (and over the yrs), but just wish BF would do the same Small Arms Center-of-Mass shooting (it might, but I don't see it) for ALL Vehicles that are unbuttoned/passengers instead of directly shooting at the Vehicles Crew (top part of vehicle)...This will at least give Crew members a better chance to button before getting hit. I think the premise would be that the initial Small Arms fire would attempt to suppress the exposed vehicle crew by hitting the Vehicle in general to force a button (easier to hit a whole vehicle then the crew), then afterwards try and hit any Crew who didn't button...Basically a progression of Small Arms Fire that might take an Action Cycle or so to complete.  

Yeah, as it stands now it seems you are better off exposed in an unprotected vehicle, then you are unbuttoned in an Armored Vehicle.

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

On 5/22/2016 at 9:32 AM, markshot said:

I didn't really have a point or criticism.

I was just impressed with how much shooting it took to take down one close target.

Also, the German soldier impressed me.  Although he died, he never even broke into a sweat.

I don't think Mounted Crew has it's Moral modeled the same as one that is dismounted...So, it's likely he was cool & calm and able to return fire.

52 minutes ago, JoMc67 said:

I don't think Mounted Crew has it's Moral modeled the same as one that is dismounted...So, it's likely he was cool & calm and able to return fire.

Mounted crew has very much the same morale mechanics as gropos. They don't ever get fatigued though, and the graphics don't show sweat. I've seen "utility vehicle" drivers with Panic and Shaken morale states, as well as full suppression meters. Not sure about "Pinned", since they always seem to be prepared to reverse their vehicle out of the frying pan, whether over a fire, or on the cool grass.

• 2 weeks later...