Fort McMurray

It's pretty horrific. And unfortunately there are now fatalities as well. The office is holding a pool to gather money to send to the Red Cross. 

What is encouraging is the many many instances of basic human compassion to those in need:

The folks who bought tons of clothes at Costco because people lost everything they had.

The people who bought water and gas and drove hundreds of KM to be able to help people who were stranded without gas on the evac route.

The recent Syrian refugees who went and bought basics like food and diapers to help strangers to them when they have so little themselves. 

The people who just opened their homes to strangers to offer them a place to stay. 

It gives one hope.

On 7. Mai 2016 at 4:43 AM, Michael Emrys said:

All I know about this is what I read in the news, but horrific sounds like the right word to describe it. How could this happen? More to the point, how can it be kept from happening again?

Michael

Eh, try to fight climate change?

Though this may be a very challenging and out-of reach target.

Worghern,

Welcome aboard!

Here's a bit on what the Fort McMurray damage horror story looks like from space, with side by side comparisons. Worse, this terrible wildfire's grown since Monday. Offhand, I don't recall anything remotely as bad here in the States, but I believe our Australian colleagues have had some major trauma several times near Sydney. Best wishes to all affected by the Fort McMurray conflagration!

Bud Backer,

Those are indeed heartening stories, and I'm especially touched by what the newly arrived Syrians did. I hope Costco provided generous discounts, too. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

19 hours ago, SLIM said:

Don't be absurd. Wildfires are common in North America, with or without climate change.

Well, the world is quite excited about this wildfire. So, it's probably not THAT common.

Otherwise: A question was asked and I offered one answer. If you have any better proposals: Share them with us.

2 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Well, the world is quite excited about this wildfire. So, it's probably not THAT common.

The world is excited because it's the first one of the year, and it's a big one. I should know, half my family lives in Fort McMurray. They sent me pictures.

By the time July rolls around though, you won't even see them in the news, except when they hit some rich suburb of Los Angeles.

Wildfires are good for forest ecosystems, they clear out the dead wood and make way for new growth. For a long time, we fought wildfires aggressively, but now the U.S. forestry service is advocating a "let it burn" policy so long as it doesn't threaten human settlement, or grow completely out of control. Environmental studies done at Yellowstone National Park after the 1988 wildfire support this idea.

So the question is not 'How do we eliminate wildfires?', but 'How do we keep wildfires, but prevent them from burning down whole towns?'.

An addendum: The vast majority of wildfires are caused by direct human activity (campfires, fireworks, negligence, etc.), so a more aggressive education policy, or more effective forestry policing would be a great start.

1 hour ago, SLIM said:

An addendum: The vast majority of wildfires are caused by direct human activity (campfires, fireworks, negligence, etc.), so a more aggressive education policy, or more effective forestry policing would be a great start.

Ah, yes, that's another front to work on.

You are right, of course, even the tiniest little step counts as a start to reach a very challenging target.

2 hours ago, SLIM said:

So the question is not 'How do we eliminate wildfires?', but 'How do we keep wildfires, but prevent them from burning down whole towns?'.

Which is the question I was trying to make. And I think you are right about getting the message through some dense noggins about fire safety is a good place to start. Another one is to not build in areas where wild fires are likely to happen. In my state in addition to occasional wildfires, one of the biggest hazards for home owners is mudslides. Another is flooding. For the former, the message is don't build at the bottom of cliffs. People are just now starting to get that message after a century or so of having their homes buried, maybe with them still in them. For the latter, the message is DON'T BUILD ON FLOOD PLAINS, STUPID. They still don't seem to have gotten that one.

Michael