Crossing open ground with minimum casulties.

Looking for some advice here. I know in most situations this is a very bad idea. But when there is no other choice what is the best way. Running, moving, or crawling. It probably depends on quite a few factors, visibility, distance, resistance. How about if you crossing 100m of open ground in the daytime into the woods. Usually I just run for it with cover fire, and hope for the best. Any suggestions? Hints? Tips? Tricks?

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

Smoke ahh yes. let's say it's late in the game my bad tactics didn't save any or predict my crossing. Now what? Thanks for the reply.

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

I was reading the book Band Of Brothers and one of their officers was reviewing tactics after the Normandy invasion. His conclusion was to lay down a base of fire with MG and advance the infantry. Even if you don't suppress the target completely they will duck once in a while. It my not eliminate casualties but it will minimize them. Also get down on the same level as your soldiers you would be amazed at the cover that is available using the contour of the land.

[This message has been edited by Chris5110 (edited 11-10-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne:

A tactic that I use, though not always successfully, is to run and zig zag.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that much like Alan Arkin (playing a dentist) used when fired on at the South American airstrip in that film titled, from memory, The In-Laws? One of the funniest scenes I have seen in a comedy film.

Regards

Jim R.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne:

A tactic that I use, though not always successfully, is to run and zig zag.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

smile.gif. I try that sometimes with my armor, but it seems that at every waypoint I change direction there is a long enough pause to prove fatal.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

smile.gif. I try that sometimes with my armor, but it seems that at every waypoint I change direction there is a long enough pause to prove fatal.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim R, It was funny but they survived.

Juardis, A friend of mine turned me on to a tactic that seems to work with armor. What you do is to give fast move and hunt commands alternately and zigzag your path. If ground conditions don't allow fast movement for fear of bogging don't use this tactic except on roads.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Is that much like Alan Arkin (playing a dentist) used when fired on at the South American airstrip in that film titled, from memory, The In-Laws? One of the funniest scenes I have seen in a comedy film.

Regards

Jim R.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Precisely.

"Serpentine, Shel, Serpentine."

------------------

"Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" — Oddball

"Crap." — Moriarty

Lay down some suppression, either mg fire or artillery, or better, both, then run like a bat out of hell. If the distance is too great, then use smoke for cover at least until you can make a rush without getting tired. Exposure to fire is what you want to limit, so always run if possible when in open terrain, but make sure everybody does it at the same time. Having them dash out in ones and twos just gives the enemy the leisure of picking off your men one by one. If they all go at once the enemy will have a much harder time of figuring out who to shoot.

You are going to have casualties without a doubt, but if you limit the time your men are exposed to fire, and send them all out at once to blow enemy situational awareness, then you'll be doing your men no wrong.

As the Germans said, "Move fast, or not at all."

Does moving zig-zag with your armor really work? Using alternate fast/hunt commands? Thanks for the replies.

------------------

Chris 5110 - I am currently reading that exact same book! (Band of Brothers)

In fact, I just scrawled that quote into my tactics notebook!

So far I'm finding the book to be very enjoyable.

I've just started a PBeM game where we can each see basically all the way across the map... so I'm about to get a big chance to try out these tactics...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crumply:

are you more likely to bog down with a fast move command than with a move command? are you sure?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, if ground conditions are damp or wet. This tactic is best in dry conditions when tanks can cross open ground. In wet or damp conditions you can't just go charging across the fields, your tanks can bog.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joeski:

Does moving zig-zag with your armor really work? Using alternate fast/hunt commands? Thanks for the replies.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used against the AI and my friend used it against me, and it worked both times. I may try it in 3 or 4 more games and if I find that doesn't work as well, then I will discard this tactic, but it makes good sense to me so I'll keep using it as long as it works. Sometime a tactic that works in a couple of games may just be a fluke, but trial and error is the one good way to find this out.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>A tactic that I use, though not always successfully, is to run and zig zag.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're just drunk Wayne!! tongue.gif

Try to have a squad in position to put some fire on the advancing troops, if you have a machinegun or vehicle even better (I will usually position at least a single squad to cover any areas of open ground that warrent it just for this purpose). The advancing troops will usually fall to the ground, giving your mortar fire the time needed to start raining down on them, obliterating the advance over open ground. Don't forget to correct mortar fire after it's had its effect, keeping it on the retreating remnants. While the mortar fire is keeping the advance down, move nearby units in to plug the gap. If there is no gap, just sit back and enjoy the carnage.

-johnS

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger:

you're just drunk Wayne!! tongue.gif

Try to have a squad in position to put some fire on the advancing troops, if you have a machinegun or vehicle even better (I will usually position at least a single squad to cover any areas of open ground that warrent it just for this purpose). The advancing troops will usually fall to the ground, giving your mortar fire the time needed to start raining down on them, obliterating the advance over open ground. Don't forget to correct mortar fire after it's had its effect, keeping it on the retreating remnants. While the mortar fire is keeping the advance down, move nearby units in to plug the gap. If there is no gap, just sit back and enjoy the carnage.

-johnS<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not drunk, can't drink because of a heart condition,just trying to get the heck under cover.

I use suppression fire as often as I can but I find that when I'm advancing I don't always see an enemy to fire at and I don't like using up precious ammo on unseen enemy units. I'm still learning like the rest of you guys but these tactics seem to be good ones under the right conditions.

------------------

Joeski,

Here are some pointers you might find useful:

- Establish a smokescreen if available.

- Establish a firebase. You can use tanks, MG, mortars, or even a squad if others are not available. HE round in particular can make ambushing troops jumpy, revealing their positions early.

- Use "run" to rush all assault elements at the same time to overpower the enemy. Run until in cover (e.g. in woods) but do not continue running afterwards, as you might run into an ambush.

- Assault with as many troops as you can.

- Make sure the leader of every element leads from the front, i.e. he assaults along with his squads.

- Make sure you select high quality troops as they won't stop if fired upon. Try to use at least veteran squads as assault elements.

- Prefer to assault with platoons whose leaders have morale enhancing abilities.

Hope this helps.

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

[This message has been edited by coralsaw (edited 11-12-2000).]