Welsh place names

I came across this one in the Wikipedia today: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch. Wikipedia has this to say about it: "...with 58 characters it is the longest place name in Europe and the second longest official one-word place name in the world."

You can't say that the Welsh lack a sense of humor.

:D

Michael

How on earth did you just " came across this one in the Wikipedia today"??

It's one thing to start watching youtube videos on M1 Garand firing rates, and 3 hours later find yourself watching DIY videos on how to do an oil change on your car....

But you are doing the same on Wikipedia??  :lol:

1 hour ago, gnarly said:

How on earth did you just " came across this one in the Wikipedia today"??

Since you ask... I regularly look over the main page of Wiki because there are frequently some interesting links to articles there. This one caught my eye, so I followed the link, and then further links. You'll never guess where the absolute longest name (85 characters) is from; this according to Guinness who for god only knows what reason evidently keeps track of such things.

:wacko:

Michael

On 18/04/2016 at 1:15 AM, Michael Emrys said:

I came across this one in the Wikipedia today: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch. Wikipedia has this to say about it: "...with 58 characters it is the longest place name in Europe and the second longest official one-word place name in the world."

You can't say that the Welsh lack a sense of humor.

:D

Michael

You seen the size of the sign as you come into the village?

llanfair.jpg

10 hours ago, Childress said:

There were several saloons in Childress until 1904, when a fatal shooting prompted the authorities to adopt local prohibition of alcoholic beverages. Population has been steadily declining since the 19th century.

That's what happens when you prohibit booze. No drunken parties=fewer unplanned pregnancies.

BTW, when you copy-paste from another source, not naming the source is a violation of copyright I believe.

Michael

• 10 months later...
On 4/20/2016 at 11:01 PM, Michael Emrys said:

That's what happens when you prohibit booze. No drunken parties=fewer unplanned pregnancies.

BTW, when you copy-paste from another source, not naming the source is a violation of copyright I believe.

Michael

oh good god don't start having everyone marking "fair use" on their quotes.  And no it isn't necessary if it is a public source unless you intend to write a paper on long ass names of the world.