Hold Fire - CMBN 3.0?

Hi.  I'm a returning player.  Picked up CMBN when it first released.  Found it somewhat lacking compared to the previous games in the Combat Mission series, and stepped back to allow it to mature.  

Anyway, here I am five years later.  I picked up CMBN 3.0.  I know in previous versions there was no hold fire option short of using tiny firing arcs.  I thought the latest version fixed this.  Is there some way to order hold fire, or better yet, fire only if fired upon?  

Searching turns up a lot of old posts release, so I'm asking.  Thanks.

Covered arcs *are* how you tell units to hold fire. When i play scouts and FOs often get a 50m circular arc so they will defend themselves if the enemy get close but they will refrain from giving away their position.

30 Meters is standard for me. When they open fire, they can immediately start throwing hand grenades.

That sounds good. I also make sure I take into account the terrain too. I make sure that if the scouts spend any time in a location their covered arc is big enough to cover near by hiding spots. Nothing is worse than having the enemy show up behind a near by wall and fire in my scouts only to realize that location is just outside the covered arc.

I sometimes feel that trying to ambush is a double edged sword:

If you only use Covered Arc then your unit will probably be seen before the enemy is within the arc - or if you set the arc too large then the ambush wont be as effective. 

If you just use Hide(with the intention of unhiding at the end of a turn) then your unit runs the serious risk of having the enemy get closer to you than intended, and getting the drop on your men and wiping them out.

If you use both Hide and Covered Arc then you still run that same risk, especially if your unit is behind a wall, hedgerow, or in a building.

It seems some terrain is favorable to certain types of ambushes. Maybe someone should run some tests and make a matrix of cover and suggested method of setting an ambush?

I sometimes feel that trying to ambush is a double edged sword:

If you only use Covered Arc then your unit will probably be seen before the enemy is within the arc - or if you set the arc too large then the ambush wont be as effective. 

If you just use Hide(with the intention of unhiding at the end of a turn) then your unit runs the serious risk of having the enemy get closer to you than intended, and getting the drop on your men and wiping them out.

If you use both Hide and Covered Arc then you still run that same risk, especially if your unit is behind a wall, hedgerow, or in a building.

It seems some terrain is favorable to certain types of ambushes. Maybe someone should run some tests and make a matrix of cover and suggested method of setting an ambush?

I just had the exact same problem in my recent game. A unit that had a covered arc behind a hedgerow was immediately spotted and destroyed. Another unit that was hiding with a covered arc did not unhide, even as the enemy spent a lot of time crossing a ford less than 40 metres away. The hiding unit got clear sound contacts for a long time duration but did not react. The enemy just ran straight up to their position and grenaded them.

Edited by Bulletpoint