OT: what makes a tanker

LukeFF

It also forgets to mention if you happen to be shorter than 5'-8"

First time I saw a Marine Corp tank unit  I was shocked. They had basically found the smallest marines I had ever seen and placed them all together in that unit.

It made me realize I would never be a Tanker. 6'-6" is not what you call as being the best size to work with when dealing with armor.

It also forgets to mention if you happen to be shorter than 5'-8"

First time I saw a Marine Corp tank unit  I was shocked. They had basically found the smallest marines I had ever seen and placed them all together in that unit.

It made me realize I would never be a Tanker. 6'-6" is not what you call as being the best size to work with when dealing with armor.

We're clearly dealing with some stolen valor crap here.  Every Marine I've seen that's been short or of slight build has been a SMAW, M240, or .50 cal gunner.  

Joking aside, I'm serious.  All the same on the army side we ran the pretty wide range.  We had some cats would could pretty much hang out of the turret standing on the floor all the way through folks I swore had phone books placed under their TC seats.  Abrams remains pretty comfy as long as you're like, sub 6'3 I'd say though.   

Yes, but Russian tanks are designed for starved hobbits.

On US tanks I wouldn't contend a major advantage to small dudes.  There's a downside to being significantly taller from what I've seen (I'm 5'9, so it's not like I'm experienced with "tall") but there's the interior volume for a guy of such and such height, simple as that.  You don't cram much extra stuff inside the tank because you want the fighting compartment free of flying objects and space to operate.

Now the Bradley, that would be a good thing to be one of those 5'5 and built of nothing but muscles and anger sort of dudes.  It was designed for 1980 when at most a soldier might be wearing the old flak vest type armor.  The turret has now been crammed with BFT and CITV related stuff, and if you're a vehicle commander, you're likely also a squad leader so you're either wearing your body armor, or have to put it on on the way out so getting out of that thing can be problematic.  Same deal with the troop bay, it's less a seating location and more a wall of humanity and hardware when it's loaded for combat.  

Yes, but Russian tanks are designed for starved hobbits.

On US tanks I wouldn't contend a major advantage to small dudes.  There's a downside to being significantly taller from what I've seen (I'm 5'9, so it's not like I'm experienced with "tall") but there's the interior volume for a guy of such and such height, simple as that.  You don't cram much extra stuff inside the tank because you want the fighting compartment free of flying objects and space to operate.

Now the Bradley, that would be a good thing to be one of those 5'5 and built of nothing but muscles and anger sort of dudes.  It was designed for 1980 when at most a soldier might be wearing the old flak vest type armor.  The turret has now been crammed with BFT and CITV related stuff, and if you're a vehicle commander, you're likely also a squad leader so you're either wearing your body armor, or have to put it on on the way out so getting out of that thing can be problematic.  Same deal with the troop bay, it's less a seating location and more a wall of humanity and hardware when it's loaded for combat.  

Not to mention, an Abrams rides like a Cadillac, and a Bradley rides like a rusted out VW Microbus! And I was a 6'1" Bradley gunner and Commander.

Not to mention, an Abrams rides like a Cadillac, and a Bradley rides like a rusted out VW Microbus! And I was a 6'1" Bradley gunner and Commander.

So what you're telling me is you were medically discharged for both mental health reasons, and having your entire skeletal structure vibrated into dust?  

The ride on the Abrams was something else the first time out.  It doesn't feel so much like a vehicle as much as a boat, as you're still rolling and rising with the terrain, but any of the bumpiness is either crushed flat, or rolled over.  

So what you're telling me is you were medically discharged for both mental health reasons, and having your entire skeletal structure vibrated into dust?  
The ride on the Abrams was something else the first time out.  It doesn't feel so much like a vehicle as much as a boat, as you're still rolling and rising with the terrain, but any of the bumpiness is either crushed flat, or rolled over.  

Well, when I got to Ft Stewart, they still had M113's. Although that's not much better! I just got volentold to become a Bradley guy when 24th ID upgraded to them in '87.

As for the mental health thing, that's pretty much the case, as I became an 11B voluntarily.

Edited by Splinty

It's okay.  I was once a Troop XO and my vehicle on paper was our M1068 (which is to say a M577 with a bigger generator).  

I don't rarely turn down tracked vehicles, but blessedly our Troop's mortar section was questionable idea'ed away*, so I spent no time in stealing their HMMWV.  

Speaking as a 19 series guy, the Bradley was less rough in that regard, you only had twoish guys in the back, and less of a push to dismount the vehicle commander**

*In one of the Army's wonderful ideas, they'll let infantry officers wind up in command of Cavalry organizations.  Ours decided troop level mortars were silly and they should exist as a Squadron level mortar platoon, which then morphed into his personal security detail.  While the mortar carriers followed the personnel, the mortar section sergeant's soft top pickup truck style HMMWV remained.  

**Of course, this may have just been my corner of the Army.  Finding a consistent and sane way to make the old 3 and 5 ARS MTOE work is pretty hard!

LOL, yes. Truth be told, though, I'm not hardly as uptight as some around here think I am. :) It was too funny not to share.

nobody could be that uptight.  :PFrom a line my father always used to taunt me with

"Steven you aren't as dumb as you look, but then nobody could be that stupid."