Machinegun team not using their rifles?

I just noticed something odd: When you have a deployed machinegun and it spots an enemy, only the actual machinegun opens fire.

The rest of the team just stands around, even though they would have a clear shot with their rifles. Although they run to windows to take up positions as if to open fire, they never do. Is this intentional, and if so, why?

Hmm, usually the guys that are with the machine gun are there just to keep the machine gun operational, so I guess that in a real life situation they will just stay behind the gun. To be honest, I find more weird the fact that the soldiers take actual fire positions than actually the abscense of shooting to enemys :wacko:.

Team leader is looking for targets, gunner is shooting, and the loader is well...loading. Firing their rifles could distract them from their duties as people tend to get tunnel vision when engaing a target.

The machinegun is considered to be the most casualty producing weapon a platoon can bring to bear. Firing a few extra rifle rounds would be rather insignificant in the grand scheme of things. 

@ Op good question. Does the loader have to watch the belt the whole time it seems as though at least the US side when the belt is loaded it's good for awhile until it runs out again. The loader in the meantime I would imagine is using the rifle or spotting. Can't the gunner hold the belt and fire or no? Doesn't it unfold from the box ok? It might depend on the machine gun. And mg team doctrine if anyone can find it. May be here http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/FM/

625c9ef2749517b7c667d7a5dea38f2a.jpg

267568_5_.jpg

Edited by user1000

Loader's job is to keep the belt being fired from kinking up or getting jammed, also when nearing the end of one ammo belt to attach the next belt allow the gunner to keep up fire.  Also changes the barrel when needed.  The rest of the team is supposed to keep their eyes open for enemy movement from other angles & let the leader know asap, plus close defense if necessary. 

Oh, and the loader also carries the tripod in an MG-42 squad.  45 lbs.

Leader, loader and gunner are of course busy :) But the German MG team has 5 members. I was wondering why the other two guys didn't shoot. If they are trying to keep their eyes open to prevent flanking, that would make sense, but then why are they not looking the other direction instead of looking towards the target?

Edited by Bulletpoint

I´d also wish for the (german) ammo bearers to stay low as was historically the case, unless they were forced to engage in close combat. If the latter happens, then I´d consider a players HMG employment in the game somewhat ....faulty, so to say. HMG´s need to be covered with infantry and preferably engage targets only at ranges above 300m.

Still wonder about BFC decision to just have for a selected number of MG units (US MMG i.e) the ammo bearers seperated in a 2nd team. Maybe too much of a burden for an AI player to handle them properly...

I´d also wish for the (german) ammo bearers to stay low as was historically the case, unless they were forced to engage in close combat. If the latter happens, then I´d consider a players HMG employment in the game somewhat ....faulty, so to say. HMG´s need to be covered with infantry and preferably engage targets only at ranges above 300m.

I agree, but often, doctrine meets reality. Maybe as a player, I'm supposed to undeploy the MG team if the combat takes place at close ranges? In that case, the gunner would fire the MG as "semideployed", and the rest of the team would also fire. I guess at very close ranges you don't need the extra accuracy of the mounted machinegun... maybe.

Still wonder about BFC decision to just have for a selected number of MG units (US MMG i.e) the ammo bearers seperated in a 2nd team. Maybe too much of a burden for an AI player to handle them properly...

I wonder the same thing, until now I just assumed it was a doctrinal difference.  Surely if the AI can handle American MG ammo carriers being separate teams, it should also be able to handle the Germans the same way. Or so it seems to me.

I wonder the same thing, until now I just assumed it was a doctrinal difference.  Surely if the AI can handle American MG ammo carriers being separate teams, it should also be able to handle the Germans the same way. Or so it seems to me.

I notice that one consequence of the separate ammo bearers is that if need be, they can run back to a vehicle or ammo dump and grab some more while the MG stays in place and carries on its good work.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

I notice that one consequence of the separate ammo bearers is that if need be, they can run back to a vehicle or ammo dump and grab some more while the MG stays in place and carries on its good work.

Michael

Yes, it's very useful for many things. Also for watching the flank. Or even  just to have one more team to create more contact markers for the enemy and cause confusion.

I agree, in my opinion all MG teams should be split in two teams like mortars and ATGs. In fact, some already are, at least in some German recon TOEs where the infantry is driving around in VWs. The way it is now the MG teams are just too large to fit in one action spot and since the ammo bearers often don't stay low they are unnecessarily prone to suffering casualties.

I agree, in my opinion all MG teams should be split in two teams like mortars and ATGs. In fact, some already are, at least in some German recon TOEs where the infantry is driving around in VWs. The way it is now the MG teams are just too large to fit in one action spot and since the ammo bearers often don't stay low they are unnecessarily prone to suffering casualties.

Yep, the (only) german ones are in Para regimental recce company. The reason maybe is that it´s the only way to have a full HMG team fit among the Orbat´s single kubelwagons.

Could be that BFC figured initially that the german HMG teams will not stay long in battle if the gun team just contains the 3 main guys (leader, gunner, assistant). If the gunner is KIA, the remaining guys rotate til the last man is fallen (assuming the MG does not get knocked out, or the whole unit routed beforehand). So a 5 man team generally gets the HMG to stay longer in battle. Then it´s mainly a (somewhat doubtful) gameplay decision and not related to RL WW2 tactics and doctrines. If that´s the case, BFC could at least offer 2 variations, with one beeing the "normal" full team and the other with the ammo beares in a seperate team.