Looking for Interesting Tactical Scenarios

Cpl Steiner

Hi All,

I want to make a new scenario for the Repository and I am looking for sources of ideas. The scenario must be a pretty small action - no more than a company - as I think CMx2 really shines at the platoon to company level. Anything bigger and a feel that you get swamped with information overload and can't really keep track of what each unit is doing.

So, does anyone know of any good sources for tactical situations? I am thinking maybe training manuals for the military (doesn't have to be US, Russian or Ukrainian doctrine would also be interesting) or articles on wargaming sites.

Thanks in advance.

I had a specific scenario in mind but never managed to make it.

The idea is simple: get a company sized force, maybe something like a 2nd line unit moving forward after a rapid advance to catch up with the front, and have such unit being ambushed while performing a forward march in a terrain considered secured. A straight road, a few points of interest around, a forced placement for the units (a column on the road) and multiple contacts of enemies all around it.

Then, you might add a reinforcement catching up as well as heavies enemy units joining the fight.

I had a specific scenario in mind but never managed to make it.

The idea is simple: get a company sized force, maybe something like a 2nd line unit moving forward after a rapid advance to catch up with the front, and have such unit being ambushed while performing a forward march in a terrain considered secured. A straight road, a few points of interest around, a forced placement for the units (a column on the road) and multiple contacts of enemies all around it.

Then, you might add a reinforcement catching up as well as heavies enemy units joining the fight.

That sounds like it might be fun. It could be similar to the "Jessica Lynch" wrong-turn convoy of the 507th Maintenance Coy during the invasion of Iraq. Navigational error or bad intel results in supply convoy getting into a firefight it was not expecting. I would place this mission after the US has halted the Russian assault on Kiev and has begun to pursue the retreating Russians. In the confusion of battle pockets of Russians are bypasssed and intel on their exact positions is sparse, resulting in a Maintenance Convoy following on behind the US counter-attack making a wrong turn and running into Russian stragglers it was not expecting to find along its route. US forces would be lower quality than typical and the Russians would be perhaps higher quality but low on supplies/morale and just looking for a way to get back to their lines. When the US convoy blunders into them they see it as an opportunity to maybe scavenge some fuel for their vehicles to head back to Mother Russia.

Does this fit your idea?

Edited by Cpl Steiner

I ran a tournament at www.thefewgoodmen.com many years ago ago called Escape from Falaise.  Basically a large map and you need to guide a force towards the exit zone whilst Allied units arrive on your flanks piece meal.  The winner of the tournament was the person that got the most equipment out of the pincer.  :)

It was fun.

• 1 month later...

This is nearly finished now. Just need a few tips on how to do the Victory Points.

I have designated each type of US unit (Truck, Humvee, Infantry) as a Destroy objective for the Russians and have painted an "Exit" objective on the opposite side of the map for the US. If I ceasefire at the start the US gets a major defeat - all well and good. If they get everyone off the map then presumably it will be a draw because the Russians won't get the points for destroying them. So, how do I make it a Win for the US if they get say 50% of their stuff off the exit zone?

Looking forward to your replies.

Edited by Cpl Steiner
gramma

If you're still looking for more scenario ideas (or anyone else is), my recommendation is to find some memoirs or operational documents on units during WW2. They tend to talk about the stuff that goes on behind the big offensives - what military units have to do day to day that might only get a single sentence in a larger narrative. "3rd Armored Division encountered little resistance on the road to XYZ" can easily translate into a platoon of Shermans running into an anti-tank gun and losing a tank. And the stories are still relevant today, a high intensity conflict will have the same vignettes, only this time it's a pair of ATGMs against Abrams.  http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/ is good for the US perspective and http://www.allworldwars.com/Small-Unit-Actions-During-German-Campaign-in-Russia.html has the German side.

For your question, you could use a touch objective as well, so that the US player get's the points for reaching the edge of the map as well. Then the degree of victory for the US goes up as more units are removed from the battlefield and can't be destroyed by the Russians. You can also use the bonus points to help even out the scoring.

I see WW2 Russian Front scenarios, suitably "modernized" as a good source of ideas. For example, late in the war, US forces have made a penetration into Russia and are close to a small town called Prokhorovka. At this point the Russians mount a major counter attack. 

The game covers a small part of this battle, say a US Company Team which must defend in place or counter attack depending on the part of the WW2 battle you wish to represent. The battle is fought on the same ground as the WW2 tank battle but with modern weapons.

A similar game might take place on the 1943 Mius River battlefield. This time US and Ukrainian forces are fighting to eliminate a well defended Russian bridgehead similar to that the Red Army had in July/August 1943

Or one could draw inspiration from the Third/Fourth Battles of Kharkov. Again the action takes place on the same ground in similar tactical situations but with modern weaponry,

So, how do I make it a Win for the US if they get say 50% of their stuff off the exit zone?

Someone created a really handy victory point calculator recently. It let's you put in your current values and then perform what if analysis. Searching on my phone is annoying so I'll look for it later if no one points you to it in the meantime. 

My suggestion would be a US bonus value set so that if all their vehicles get destroyed they still loose but if they all get across they win. Not sure how easy that would be but the victory calculator will help you figure out the correct balance.

Hi All,

I want to make a new scenario for the Repository and I am looking for sources of ideas. The scenario must be a pretty small action - no more than a company - as I think CMx2 really shines at the platoon to company level. Anything bigger and a feel that you get swamped with information overload and can't really keep track of what each unit is doing.

So, does anyone know of any good sources for tactical situations? I am thinking maybe training manuals for the military (doesn't have to be US, Russian or Ukrainian doctrine would also be interesting) or articles on wargaming sites.

Thanks in advance.

Just a thought, but would there be any scenarios or campaign info in winSPMBT (Windows Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank) that could be converted for use in CMBS or even CMSF (Euroscape mod as well).  After all it is a free game: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/MBT/MBT_page.html

Maybe one could even use the winSPMBT's scenario /campaign generator to come up with some good randomly created games that could be converted to CM.  Even the basis for maps could be randomly created, let alone maybe using the already created maps included with the scenario's and campaigns.  Like I said just a thought.

Edited by Blazing 88's

It was really enjoyable. 

Great map. And although it seemed easy there were some twists due to some well place red units. The only thing I would do slightly different, is to give close range ambush orders to far red units in order not to reveal themselves too early and become targets for the F15s

Here are two videos from the same round