Demo Driver Conflicts post here!

Guest Big Time Software

Guest Big Time Software

In case you have had any video driver problems, post as much information as you can here. Please keep it to this thread as it might get "lost" otherwise.

Thanks!

Steve

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen,

I really like the demo so far, but I have had a couple of problems that seem to be video related, but I'm not sure if they are driver related. (Okay, so I'm not a computer guru <g>)

When I start the demo, the screen goes black and nothing ever comes up except a white arrow cursor. If I click around long enough, I get into the options screen with fog of war, etc., settings.

Once I find the start button by accident, the program asks for where the scenarios are (or something like that). Anyway, then the normal windows 98 file window comes up for me to select the proper directory, etc. This works, except all of the icons (such as the file folders, etc.,) are above the files (and into the top part of the dialog window) and are distorted. Once I get into the game itself, however, the program seems to run fine. I did notice, however, that if I hit the escape key and then return to the game, the edges of the screen flicker.

If this isn't a video driver problem, then I apologize for wasting your time.

My system specs are:

Gateway PII-400

64 meg

3dfx Voodoo Banshee Video AGP Card

The drivers for the Banshee are as follows:

(This may be not what your are looking for, so let me know what you need)

GDI Driver Version 4.10.01.0232-1.00

Glide 2X Driver Version 2.60.00.0126

Glide 3X 3.10.00.0126

Open Gl Driver 4.00 (not accelerated)

Direct 3D Driver Version 4.10.01.0232-1.00

Like I said, if this isn't a driver problem, my apologies.

Thank you.

Darren

Well it isn't a Video confict, actually beside the 2 instances it isn't a conflict at all, but the sound that is played at the end the action phase and when I quit the game is just a really high pitched squeal

(I mean hurt you ears kind of squeal smile.gif. My guess is that isn't what I am suppose to be hearing. All other sounds are fine. In fact, better then fine, there Great!

Configuration:

PIII 450, 196 ram, Viper 550 (16 ram), Sound Blaster Gold 64 (ISA), Cambridge Soundwork speakers

Any ideas Steve? If you need more config info just let me know.

Thanks,

PS: Love the demo so far, great job guys!! and to release it on my day off, life is good smile.gif

[This message has been edited by HAL (edited 10-28-99).]

Guest KwazyDog

Guys, Id also add what version of Direct X you are using as it probably is important too smile.gif Direct X 7 is now out, if you havnt already downloaded it.

Hi I also seem to be having a sound problem. I am not getting any sounds at all, I toggle to be sure sound is on (including ambient) but there is none.

I have a 200Mhz 604e Mac 7500 with 160 megs of RAM running OS 8.5 with an 8meg MacMagic Voodoo I card.

I've double checked the sound control panels and volume but it seems to only be a problem in the demo. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: I increased the memory allocation to 90meg and when the scenario started, I heard about 5 seconds of what I think is ambient sound but then back to silence. I do hear a "beep" though after a turn's film finishes.

[This message has been edited by AD (edited 10-28-99).]

I am able to run the demo, however, about

30% of the textures are missing - just white.

For example, infantry have textured uniforms,

but no faces or weapons. Shermans have sides

and guns, but no fronts or tops. Some buildings have fronts and backs, but no sides.

My system is a P2-400 with an STB Velocity 440 AGP (Riva TNT) card running the latest

Nvidia Detonator 3.53 drivers and DirectX 7.

I have 128 megs of RAM and I'm running W98.

Sound seems fine, I'm using a Turtle Beach

Montego.

I have tried turning hardware acceleration

down a notch, moving texel origin to upper

left, changing mipmap levels to 0, 4 and 12

in the direct3d settings. Not sure what

else to try. Everything else seems functional.

Any info appreciated.

David Pipes

Well, this is a surprise.

I use a Mac G3/233 (beige) with 320 MB RAM, OS 8.6, and a MicroConversions GameWizard 12MB 3Dfx card, with the latest drivers for Glide and Rave that are still at MicroConversion's website.

When I double-click on the CM Demo icon to start the game, I get a black screen and no cursor. By randomly clicking the mouse all over the place I occasionally get a 'beep', but no activity, and to get out must reboot (Cmd-Cntl-Power). (The usual Cmd-Opt-Esc to get out of a busted app doesn't work).

I've tried different screen resolutions; no help (normally I run in 800x600). I've tried different color depths; no help. I've tried expanding memory; no help.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I seem to have a little bit of strange flickering around the very edge of the screen which is most pronounced while using the ground level view-nothing major,just an irritant.

I have a Celeron 300A,O/C'ed to 450,128 megs ram,Viper V550 card,using the nVidia 2.08 drivers.DirectX 6.1,I believe.

Mike

OK... an update to the problem I noted above and hopefully some help in case someone else has a similar problem.

I went back and tried one more thing. Normally I leave the RAVE and Glide extensions both on for the MicroConversions card (it's never been a problem with any other app). This time I disabled just the Glide extension, and lo and behold, the game started and runs just fine.

So the takehome message, if you have a MicroConversions VooDoo 2 card, is to have the RAVE extension on, but the Glide extension off.

Great game, by the way <g>.

Guest Big Time Software

AD - do you have Apple's Game Sprockets installed? You need SoundSprocket or else the game's 3D sound cannot work.

Charles

Guest Madmatt

Like Oberly, I am also getting some 'video corruption' at the very edge of the screen. It is perhaps 1 or two pixles wide and runs pretty much across the entire viewing edge. Not at all bad and after a bit very easy to ignore. I am using DirectX7 and the new TNT 3.53 drivers. I have seen similar 'artifacts' in other games and they are usually attributable to VSync settings. Alas I have played around with these and some other advanced settings but it has not made any difference so far.

System Specs:

P3-600

TNT-2 Ultra

Win 98 SE

DirectX 7

128 Mb Ram

250mb Perm. Swap File

Madmatt..

p.s. I have seen at least one other post re: the keyboard response being 'sluggish'. I concur but I have a recomendation. Why not include a preference for both mouse and keyboard 'sensitivity'? Many games have such options and this would make it so everyone could tailor the scroll speed to whatever they like. Perhaps make it a slider with settings 1-10 with 5 being the default or something... Thanks for a great product. Check is in the mail! wink.gif

Guest Big Time Software

The 1-pixel-wide edge-of-screen "video corruption" is actually one of our bugs, not your drivers. So don't worry too much about that. We're working on fixing it.

Charles

I'm getting the same thing as davidh: when I double click the app icon, I get a black screen and no amount of clicking changes anything.

As much system info as I have:

Celeron 300 overclocked to 450

64 MB PC100 SDRAM

3GB IDE hard drive

Hitachi CDR 8130

Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro, running reference drivers

Diamond Monster2 8MB VooDoo2 chip, running reference drivers

Diamond Monster MX300 soundcard running reference drivers

WIN95 version 4.00.950.B

If you want to ask me for more info please email me doug-beman@home.com

DjB

Just a curious note while playing the american attack scenario. No I don't have the name memorized yet. Any hoo when guys were moving from the second story of a building to the ground below they were floating. They would continue to float meters away. I'm running a rage orion with the latest drivers from os 9. I did the extract thing. Not sure if its a bug or a feature. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

Guest Big Time Software

Ithai,

If they were floating within the bounds of a two story building this is intentional. We don't have staircases so the guys must get from one floor to the other. Instead of just"warping" them from one to the other they glide up/down. if the turn ends and they are inbetween floors they will seem to "float"

Steve

Well it's me again, whatever was causing the ear piercing high screech sound at the end of the Action phase & when I ended the game has stopped. Now at the end of the Action phase & when I quit the game, it is the correct sound being played (at least I think it is). Not sure why it seem to correct itself, I didn't change anything.

Ah, the wonder of windows.

I've had similar problems with other games myself.. My recommendation is to be grateful and be quiet before Bill hears you're happy again and hits the "make a screeching sound" button again wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Hello --

Newest available vid drivers (just downloaded).

Matrox G400. Following behaviors noticed:

1) Transparincies are not. Explosions/big guns shooting etc... The 'ball' is opaque.

2) The roof of houses (the part that units sit on) covers the orders menu. Makes it difficult to see some orders.

3) Flicker of garbage pixels along left hand side of screen.

Also, where is the promised 3d sound? I have four speakers, but Combat Mission is only using two. I was really looking forward to this.

Game looks good, other then those issues.

Sage