Demo Driver Conflicts post here!

Guest Big Time Software

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to have a sound problem related to the download. I can get the game to work OK but the only sound I can get is a generic beep at the beginning and a gun sound when I exit the program.

I have a P3 processor with 128 megs of ram, Voodoo3 accelerator card and a ESS Solo 1 PCI Audio Drive card, Windows 98 2nd ED.

When I go to the Wav file and try to open one of them my computer attempts to open aol and take me to a microsoft sit to try and cure the problem i get the following error: 80040200 cannot download the appropiate decompressor file.

Can you tell me what this microsoft gibberish means? I have already loosened security measures and restarted the computer like the site told me but to no avail.

Ralph

As with Fatherof4, the only video problems I have had with the demo was while I was using a custom animated cursor with win95 - it locked up about 6 seconds into the replay after the first phase, and had problems updating the area behind the cursor at any time. Soon as I went back to the default windows cursors, not a problem (aside from having no time to do anything else smile.gif).

Ralph, I am having the same problem. Charles suggested downloading Direct x 7 (didn't make a difference) and the newest drivers for your card. I haven't done this yet because the SB Live drivers are 28.8mbs!

I almost the exact same system confige to you so if you figure anything out let me know.

ps - its still great fun even without the sound!

Hi everybody!

I know the requirements state that the videocard should have at least 4MB.

I have a PII 300 with 64 MB RAM, ATI mach 64 with 2 MB, righteous voodoo 2 with 12 MB.

I have directx 7 installed.

Now my problem is that the demo goes all black on me, i get the introduction screen, get to choose campaign and side but then when the game should begin then it freezes.

Is my graphicscard the problem? i thought my voodoocard should do it (it does have 12 MB).

my mainboard doesn´t have an AGP-slot so getting a new AGP-graphicscard is a problem and getting PCI-graphicscards are not that easy nowadays.

i tried to change the resolution to 800*640, the game still freezes when i accept the mission, have to ctrl-alt-delete to shut it down (not respondning).

Should i try to get newer drivers for my soundcard (AWE 64)?, i don´t think i have done that for a while, when i think about it i don´t think i have heard any sounds from the demo, i thought that would come when the game started.

Any suggestions anybody??

// Jocke

[This message has been edited by jocke (edited 10-30-99).]

I think there's a problem when a computer has multiple graphics cards... I think Charles mentioned it somewhere.

Can you take out the 2 MB one and see if it works then?

A 2 MB card won't be doing much for you anyway wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Hi Fionn!

I can´t remove the first card. that´s my main 2D-graphics card, it´s connected to my righteous voodoo2-card via a cable. My voodoo-card needs a i main 2dcard it doesn´t work alone.

Thanx anyway, i need every suggestion i can get, it´s so frustrating i have been waiting for 6 months to try it out.

The only good thing is that i´m waiting on my new system, a PIII 650 with creative riva TNT2 ultra. but i won´t get it for another 1,5 months, that´s a long time to wait to play the demo smile.gif

// Jocke

My game works fine against the AI but e-mail games freeze upon creating pbem file. I get stuck at the screen with the "go" button and Esc seems to the only command functioning. The Pbem file is updated so I am still able to play but must reload CM each turn. frown.gif

Jocke,

Remove the Voodoo and play it unaccelerated. Sure it won't be as fast or good-looking BUT it will play. A P 300 should be more than enough to play without a 3D card.

I know someone with a P 166 without a 3D card who is playing it.. Apart from that I'm about the least techie person here.. *If it can't be fixed by hitting or screaming then it wasn't worth fixing anyway.*

Lokesa,

Known bug. I think you'll find that hitting spacebar also gets you out of the game when the PBEM freeze occurs.

BTW. Care for a game? Any scenario, any side.. Send me the first turn and we'll start ok? (I am suffering a dearth of opponents right now when I thought I'd be swimming in PBEM games wink.gif )

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

To the guy with the ESS sound card.

ESS is NOTORIOUS for bad drivers (I have had all sorts of problems with their cards).

Again everyone make sure via dxdiag that you have certified drivers. That should always be the first part in determining if you have a DirectX problem. Once you are certain that all drivers are certified and the game still has problems you can cross out DirectX as your problem.

Charles,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm already running 16 bit at 800 x 600. I noticed somone else who had a blacked out screen was running a voodoo 3 like I am. I wonder if there is a problem there.

Also, I've heard people mention a text file included in the demo. I can't find one in my download. There isn't more than one version of the download around, is there?

thanks for your help,

Mike

Another Matrox G400 problem:

I played CM last night in 1600x1200. Worked like a charm. But. Came back this morning to play and the following things were no longer displayed:

-- Selection boxes around men.

-- Order vector/lines.

-- Tracers.

-- Interior building walls.

-- The box around 'okay' and 'cancel' when you quit the game.

I tried:

-- uninstalling, reinstalling CM.

-- loading different save game files.

-- uninstalling, reinstalling current vid drivers.

-- uninstalling, reinstalling newest Matrox drivers.

-- Installing DirectX 7.0

The only thing that worked? Swapping my TNT back in.

Thoughts: since Matrox is a competitor of the company I work for, don't bother fixing any of this stuff. As a matter of fact, feel free to throw in more Matrox specific bugs.

:=)

Mac and video card conflict?

When attempting to run CM on my iMac/233 w/ MicroConversions GameWizard Voodoo2 card, I also get a black screen and no response. Force quitting the application gets me to a setup screen, but the games locks at that point. I have the latest available GameWizard drivers.

Conversely, running the game with the GameWizard disabled (driver extensions off) is great! I played until 1:30AM...thought it was midnight =) Performance under the built-in 4MB Rage chip is actually quite good, but I sure would rather use the voodoo2.

FYI,

------------------

Steve C.

Guest Big Time Software

scarr,

Maybe try manually setting your screen resolution to 640x480 (or possibly 832x624) first before running on the Voodoo card? That might help.

Charles

ATI 3D RagePro, chipset "Mach 64: RagePro", 8MB software version 4.02, Win98:

after ESC to bring windows up, I click the CM icon, it comes up, but the whole top half of the screen flashes, alternating between the CM screen and the windows screen.

FYI.

I have no conflicts and I have the following system: (except for the visual artifacts at the edge of the screen)

K6-2 350

Matrox MGA-200 AGP 8MB SDRAM

Driver version 4.11.01.1000

DirectX 6.0

Soundblaster Live! Value

Driver version 4.05.1026

Jason

Great demo - looking forward to the game.

I'm puzzled however. 9 times out of 10, when I try to run the demo, I can get through the initial screens, but as soon as I click to start the game, I get a black screen freeze.

(I'm fed up of restarting with disk scan!) Yet every so often, it works - and continues to work. I don't see how I manage to get it to work, yet next time I try to play, we're back to the big freeze!

I've up-graded to DirectX 7 but that hasn't done the trick.

Howdy,

my setup is

P3-450

DirectX 6.1

Riva 128 ZX

ESS Solo-1 (1938)

1024x768

The problems with the video I have are two:

- The last pixel line on the right is blinking

and moving, which I gather is a known bug ?

- I have have some areas on the map blinking

in highlighted colours. It seems to be in areas

where different "tiles" meet, and there's a

difference in elevation. To my eyes, it only

happens in non-city areas, ie in open ground.

Anybody else experiencing the latter problem ?

I am also getting the black screen after the briefing. Unlike others, my cursor locks up as well and I have to reset, Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work. I also am not getting any sound.

PII 266

64 mb RAM

Cirrus 548x video card (4 or 8 mb)

SB 16

Memorex CD

DirectX7 (if it installed correctly)

Win95 4.00.950a

Logitech mouse

Northgate keyboard

The Vyrdolak - try downloading the latest drivers for both your sound and video card, or reinstall the drivers for both. This worked for me, (with SB Live) and if that doesn't work, buy a new sound and video card smile.gif If you haven't heard the sound yet, it's worth it, adding a whole new dimension to the immersion experience.

Anders J - I have also noticed this.