Demo Driver Conflicts post here!

Guest Big Time Software

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KRM,

What did you do to get the sound to work in CM? I suspect uncertified sound card drivers but so far have not been able to get updates(The manufacterer of my PC claims all the drivers are up to date). What a bummer!

Ralph

With respect to sound driver problems, I got my sound to work by disabling DirectSound hardware acceleration. My card is a Diamond Sonic Impact S90 which uses the Aureal Vortex 1 chip. I'm currently using the 4.06.1187 Aureal reference drivers and DX 6.1. I see now that the 4.06.1189 driver version is available (not sure if this version also requires that DS be disabled). DirectSound can be disabled in the A3D control panel.

I downloaded the latest drivers (Cirrus doesn't support patches any longer, I had to pay $5 to DL the driver from ISDnet...) and got the demo. The terrain looked really crappy, objects were decently rendered in color (although now I wish I had splurged for 8mb vram) but the ground itself was white. I reset my color from 16-bit to 32- and 24-bit, but the demo hung up again, with just a black screen at 32-bit setting and the initial announcement" screen at 24-bit. The hourglass appeared and I could move it with my cursor, but I waited more than several minutes each time and nothing happened. I had to reset my machine both times.

I'm bummed.

When i try to drag a losline or target line 50% of the time the line commes down from the sky and often make a turn at the losobstructing object

after saving the screen goes black and when i move the mouse their is a trail of flashing cursors.....fixed by : ESC and then back to the game=normal screen

My friend dont have that problem !

grafik cards/drivers

Aopen PT60 4mb (S3)

miro Highscore2 (Voodo2 12 mb)

directX 7

great game !

Hi Steve and Charles,

I just got a problem today. The demo crashes on the end of turn #9 as the US in the Last Defense scenario. I downloaded the new drivers for my video card and this happened. I have a P2 400, ATI Rage pro 8mg, 128 meg, win 98 4.10.1998, direct x 6.something.

It is funny, it plays and looks fine and runs way better with the new driver, but locks up on turn 9. I have played the scenario 10 times before and never had this problem. It now has locked 4 times in a row. I have deleted the program and reinstalled and it still locks up.

Help, this is my favorite scenario.

dano6

Folks,

I am experiencing the same, odd,

flickering on the edge of the screen

as that of the fellow who's post

I quote below.

I'm running a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP

card, an SB16 and DirectX 6.1

>>I seem to have a little bit of strange >>flickering around the very edge of the >>screen which is most pronounced while >>using the ground level view-nothing >>major,just an irritant.

my turn...

Symptoms:

Sounds are chopped up: the first fraction of a second of a sound file is being repeated over and over / looped for the duration of that sound file. This means the game sounds are a collection of wewewewewew...tototototot...dadadadada...in all kinds of pitches and lengths.

With regular hardware support the game freezes up about (average) 10secs into the game (varying in length but always *does* freeze up sooner or later).

When I reduce hardware support to 25%, the game does not freeze up, but in the resolution phase movie it runs at - I am not exaggerating - about 1frame / 1-2 seconds. This means soldiers/vehicles jump quite some distance between frames in the game. during resolution phase, the mouse cursor and the keyboard are largely ignored.

It all makes the game not only not enjoyable, but really unplayable. Help!

System:

I have an AMD K-6/2 400, 64 MB RAM, 4MB Diamond Viper V330 (nvidia Riva 128), onboard sound card, OS Win98, DirectX 6.1...oh wait I'll let the little applet collect the info...

Processor:: AMD-K6 3D (Model 8) (MMX) (3DNow!), 400 MHz

Operating System:: Windows 98 Version 4.10 build 1034.1998

Cache:: L1 cache: 32 KB code, 32 KB data L2 cache: 0 KB

RAM:: 65,016 KB

Winsock version:: Microsoft wsock32.dll, ver2.2, 32bit of Apr 28 1998, at 19:33:24.

IE Version:: 4.72.3110.0

Raid Environment:: L3T2F8:AMD-K6 3D (Model 8) (MMX) (3DNow!), 400 MHz:Windows 98 Version 4.10 build 1034.1998 :127.0.0.1 :65,016 KB:Microsoft wsock32.dll, ver2.2, 32bit of Apr 28 1998, at 19:33:24.:

--- Display 0 ------------------------------------------------------

Display 0 Name:: Diamond Viper V330 (Nvidia Riva 128)

Display 0 OEM:: Diamond Multimedia Systems

Display 0 GDI Driver:: nv3disp.drv

Display 0 GDI Version:: 4.10.0.1713

Display 0 GDI Date:: 5/15/1998 8:01p

Display 0 GDI Size:: 658,128 bytes

Display 0 GDI Attrib:: Final Release

Display 0 PNPID:: PCI\VEN_12D2&DEV_0018&SUBSYS_10921092&REV_10\000800

Display 0 VRAM:: 0.5 MB (0 texture)

I would really like to play the game!

I might add that so far the only problems I ever had with games on this computer was a memory leak with cc3 (which was the game's fault) and froze occasionally in Hidden & Dangerous (which was remedied with the H&D patch and reducing the hardware support). Other 3D games are running fine.

yours sincerely,

M.Hofbauer

oh, btw, two more things:

I too notice what Bamse described, namely that when targetting far ahead of the unit, the LOS / order line comes down from the top of the screen instead of back from the unit (bottom of screen).

Also, when I save the game and return into the game, the cursor remains the CLI-line instead of reverting to an arrow.

[This message has been edited by M Hofbauer (edited 11-02-99).]

System:

7500/200 604e PPC

200+ Megs of ram

12Mb Game Wizard VooDoo2 Card

256K L2 Cache

OS 8.6

Problem:

First let me say I love the game it's great. OK heres the problem, I have tracked the glitch to the Rave drivers for my VooDoo2 card. When I start the game up the screen goes black as it switches into acceleration. But since the title screen is in 2D there is no screen. Once I do muddle around and get the game to run it crashes with an error code 2. So I have been playing with out the Rave Drivers. My Glide works fine but is unsupported by CM. Are there any plans by BF to fix this glitch on the Mac version since VooDoo cards are a very poppular comedity? After all there are only two companies supporting us right now, ATI and 3dfx. And drivers from 3dfx are with out rave so all we have is Glide and Mesa(OpenGL).

Upgraded from default Win98 drivers to latest from ATI (ATI Rage Pro 8MB).

- able to ESC/ALT-TAB and get back.

- explosions are now transparent.

- paths now show reliably.

however, the quit and save and abort screens show intermittently. luckily, I know where to click on the screen smile.gif