Full-squad graphics

The FAQ has a little segment about implementing full squad graphics (showing all 10 members of a squad instead of just 3)... they say the reason that this is not done is because it would require a 1ghz processor... Well, seeing as AMD is sitting on their 1ghz Athlon right now and is shipping to hardware testers, this may not be all that far off. (and yes there are a few of us mad souls who will burn a deep hole in our wallet to be one of the first to 1ghz) Is moving to full-squad graphics on the docket or is its just something planned for the indefinate future (if at all)... I only ask because I'm a stickler for realizism and I think it would be cool to see the whole squad.

I'd also like to say that I love the Game (I don't think I made this clear in my other post)... Its quite simply completely unmatched in any regard by anything else on the market. My thanks To Big Time Software, I've only had the demo two weeks but I'm drooling for the full game (and passing the demo out to everyone I can).

Guest Big Time Software

Probably not for the remainder of the Combat Mission series (i.e. the next 4 games). There are two reasons.

First, the reworking of the game system to handle this is far from trivial. It involves almost an entire game with a game to be written. If people see 10 men, then they will want all 10 men to behave differenently (like Close Combat), otherwise you will be commanding armies of like minded robots.

The second reason is the impact on the rest of the game, both graphically and user interface wise. Put two 3 figure squads together in some woods. No picture there not being 6 figures there, but 24 (US has 12 each). Picture what a mess that would look like at the standard, usefull, graphics scale of +1 (don't even bother thinking about +2 or +3 smile.gif).

We can overcome #1 with a lot of hard work. But #2 is not something we can work around. Graphics have to be larger than life to be seen at any distance, so if we triple or quadruple the number of figures, there are going to be LOTS of problems no matter what we do. And for this reason alone, we probably won't even try to solve the first one.

Steve

The good news is that BTS is thinking to the future of this game. (Already thinking in terms of the Combat Mission Series...the next three installments.)

Keep up the good work BTS. I continue to be impressed by the demo and wait with baited-breath for the release of the full product.

------------------

73 de kb9sog

Support Amateur Radio

BJ Simpson

Guest Big Time Software

Actually, what CM needs is IBM's 300DPI monitor technology that hasn't hit the market yet. That is the major limiting factor here. Why can't you see a 3 man (or 12 for that matter) squad at any distance? Because the stupid monitors we all have are 72DPI, that's why! WAY too low resolution. Faster CPUs and graphics cards are also a good thing, but until we get rid of our "blocky" monitors we are going to be stuck with certain limitations no matter what.

CM2 - EF 1941-45

CM3 - Med. Theater 1941-45

CM4 - Early War 1939-40

CM5 - Not sure, might have moved on to something else by then smile.gif

Steve

BTS said:

"Picture what a mess that would look like at the standard, usefull, graphics scale of +1 (don't even bother thinking about +2 or +3...you will be commanding armies of like minded robots"

I can see it now: a squad of infantry is sheltering in a small house, awaiting a counter-attack that Regiment has said is coming.

(out of the treeline a few hundred meters away march 24 monstrously huge men, marching in lockstep)

Soldier1 "Here they come...MY GOD they're HUGE! What are we going to do? We can't fight them!"

Sergeant "Get a grip on yourself, son. Just hit shift+C a couple times!"

(the soldiers grow suddenly, until they are marginally bigger than the now-very-close enemy)

Soldier2 "That's better...LET'S GET THEM!!"

(the enemy infantry suddenly grow again, and both sets of soldiers are approx 14 feet tall

when they collide and meld into a giant, shapeless mass with a couple dozen arms and legs sticking out at odd angles)

Soldier3 "Well, at least we've stopped them!"

DjB

Geez, guys. Since the first platform I ever played games on was a TRS-80 model I, I'm tickled pink every time I see the guys in my squads turn their heads!!

In my own, personal, humble opinion, I would want the next gamesets to leave graphics where they are (superb) and tinker with the other things.

Although I also have to say that if CM is going to rock my world as much as the demo does, and I know it will, then I'd hate to see so much "improvement" in the next step that it's a different game. All I'd really want are more toys to shoot with/at and different places to do it.

-dale

I would like to see Vietnam in CM5...you could show whole squads because there would be smaller confrontations and few tanks to keep track of....the only thing would be the amazing landscape designer you would need...but by then a 1ghz Athalon is gonna be really old..so we could simulate the whole world and it would be like one of those online RPG's...sorry....i got carried away there...i just really like this game

------------------

"I'm tired of quotes, tell me what you know"

-Mark Twain

Late 70s, early 80s European land war. wink.gif

That's what I'm gonna lobby for wink.gif. Hell BTS will probably want a complete change of pace by then and will want to do something completely non-landwarfare.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

In the Combat Mission scale of things I don't think you would need too much in the way of Spanish Civil War politics IMHO - as long as you don't have anarchists and communists together. Then you'd probably need a random chance they start fighting amongst themselves smile.gif

Just think of using all those improvised armoured trucks the anarchists built from old boilers!

Keep the black flag flying guys!