Operation deadstick

Hi all ! I played op deadstick campaign, had obtained a victory in every scenario - maybe once it was a small victory. Never a defeat. However - after the last scenario , I got an Overall Allied defeat :-/ does this happen ? Could it be I lost Major Howard along the way ?

• 6 months later...

Sorry for the very late reply: i understand your frustration but when I made this conversion I realized I had to simulate the historical outcome too, hence you'll need at least Major Victory for each battle to successfully complete the scenario. If you play on the German side the Benouville Battle you'll be OK even with Minor Victory.

It has been play tested quite a few time with different players and even if you have Elite/Crack/Veteran troops on one side against even Conscript on the other, still you have to play it hardcore on either and avoid unnecessary losses and fatal mistakes while at the same time moving very fast and decisively.

This also reflect the ASL campaign: not that easy.

You may say it's a kind of tricky trick but that is just to represent the difficulty faced on both sides to actually win the battle...

It's also an old scenario I'm thinking to update since now we have so many different AI tools we can use, and a few touches on the map (the famous bridge included) will also help to recreate the authenticity of the battleground for which I spent a lot of time researching...

Sorry for the very late reply: i understand your frustration but when I made this conversion I realized I had to simulate the historical outcome too, hence you'll need at least Major Victory for each battle to successfully complete the scenario. If you play on the German side the Benouville Battle you'll be OK even with Minor Victory.

It has been play tested quite a few time with different players and even if you have Elite/Crack/Veteran troops on one side against even Conscript on the other, still you have to play it hardcore on either and avoid unnecessary losses and fatal mistakes while at the same time moving very fast and decisively.

This also reflect the ASL campaign: not that easy.

You may say it's a kind of tricky trick but that is just to represent the difficulty faced on both sides to actually win the battle...

It's also an old scenario I'm thinking to update since now we have so many different AI tools we can use, and a few touches on the map (the famous bridge included) will also help to recreate the authenticity of the battleground for which I spent a lot of time researching...

glad to hear you intend to update this..thoroughly enjoyed playing it GVT

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Dunkelheit said:

Hi. Why the german campaign ends with defeat on the second mission if the result is Axis minor victory?

I don't know the exact answer but it is possibly due to the conditions set by the designer in the Campaign Script.  If the Campaign Script says that Minor Victory = 'Defeat and end of campaign' then there isn't much you can do about it except replay the mission and get a sufficiently good result to advance to the next stage.

On 1/24/2016 at 5:14 PM, Gen Von Television said:

...It's also an old scenario I'm thinking to update since now we have so many different AI tools we can use, and a few touches on the map (the famous bridge included) will also help to recreate the authenticity of the battleground for which I spent a lot of time researching...

Was this campaign ever updated? I loved the old ASL campaign and would love to play a CMBN version that makes full use of all the new capabilities and includes the famous bridge.

3 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I don't know the exact answer but it is possibly due to the conditions set by the designer in the Campaign Script.  If the Campaign Script says that Minor Victory = 'Defeat and end of campaign' then there isn't much you can do about it except replay the mission and get a sufficiently good result to advance to the next stage.

Firstly, Gerd von Television said " If you play on the German side the Benouville Battle you'll be OK even with Minor Victory." And, secondly, it seems impossible in this mission to have a Major victory: it is almost impossible to take the West Approach entirely, not to say the East one (on Veteran skill).

Edited by Dunkelheit

• 5 years later...
On 3/2/2017 at 12:12 AM, Erwin said:

Had same issue with other campaigns. Designer has set victory conditions where you have to have a certain level of victory or campaign ends.  That's fine, but Designer should make that clear in the briefing.

Thanks for all these comments and thoughts. I kind of understand why I got stuck and surprised to be kicked off the campaign (saying major defeat !) after the second scenario whilst being able to reach the two western approach victory locations ... and only getting a minor victory condition.

The map conversion from ASL is superbe but the play is a little frustrating. I wonder if there are other scenarios in this campaign or if it has only two. Too frustrating to replay the whole thing to see - though I liked very much the 'short' duration of those scenarios (only takes half a day to play each when take time, as I love to do, to watch the action replay from different angles after each turn ... though even the smallest scenario takes ages for me to complete 😁)