Squad based war game that is also turn based?

I'm wondering if you war game fans can help me with a question.

I used to have Ambush and Squad Leader as board games when I was a kid.

I enjoyed controlling a squad and there were also RPG elements to that game, since soldiers could survive

and return in other campaigns.

I am wondering if there a pc game that is squad based war combat and similar to those squad boardgames?

I have CMBO, and I enjoy it, but there are no individual soldiers.

Thanks in advance.

Possibly.  I have not played this but it seems well received by those who have.  Available on Steam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_of_War:_Assault_Squad

I'm wondering if you war game fans can help me with a question.

I used to have Ambush and Squad Leader as board games when I was a kid.

I enjoyed controlling a squad and there were also RPG elements to that game, since soldiers could survive

and return in other campaigns.

I am wondering if there a pc game that is squad based war combat and similar to those squad boardgames?

I have CMBO, and I enjoy it, but there are no individual soldiers.

Thanks in advance.

I *think* what OP is asking about is a WW2 turn based game that lets you control individuals sorta like X-Com.

Yes, there is such a game, but it's old. It's called 101st, The Airborne Invasion of Normandy. I remember playing it back when it was released, and still have it in a box in my basement, along with dozens of other games that I haven't played in years.

Found a YouTube video that supposedly shows the gameplay (haven't watched it myself):

From what I remember (and this was many beers ago) it was a decent game and I enjoyed playing it for a month or so. I have no idea if it is still for sale or if it would run on a modern PC.

Edited by Doug Williams

Combat Mission doesn't let you control individual squad members, and one icon can represent 12 different soldiers.

Well....  how much control do you really need?  In CMBN and the follow-on games you can split squads down into two or three teams with from 3 to 5 members each..

Sounds like you might want to look at ARMA 3 if controlling individuals is your cup of tea (I think you control individuals in that game).  There is a WW2 version too I believe.

Possibly. I have not played this but it seems well received by those who have. Available on Steam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_of_War:_Assault_Squad

I played that game a lot some years ago...before I discovered CM. :D

In it you have squads but can give direct orders to individuals. I found it of limited utility in an RTS game. A friend of mine used to want to manage everything down to the individual man, and lost every game to me because it simply was so much work he could not focus on situational awareness of what was going on everywhere other than that one farmhouse, or tree line, etc. It was fun, but I enjoy CM much more.

Edited by Bud_B

Well....  how much control do you really need?  In CMBN and the follow-on games you can split squads down into two or three teams with from 3 to 5 members each..

Sounds like you might want to look at ARMA 3 if controlling individuals is your cup of tea (I think you control individuals in that game).  There is a WW2 version too I believe.

Or Theatre of War, maybe. It' s basically like RT CMx2 but you can control single suqad members as well as whole formations of infantry. Personally i would recommend TOW2 Kursk, it' s my favorite of the series. You can buy the ToW games at the Battlefront.com store.

Edited by agusto

Controlling individual members of the squad in a turn based game, all the way down to the weapons they carry can be fun, if the game is done properly and the scale is small enough. Think X-Com, but set in WW2. Each individual has a certain number of "action points" that they can use to perform actions (move, fire a weapon, kneel, go prone, etc.) during your turn. If you end your turn with enough action points left over, a soldier could take a shot of opportunity during your opponents turn. This is the type of gameplay in the 101st Airborne game that I linked earlier in this thread. The one thing I sorta remember about the game was that there was a lot of moving around the map searching for enemies. It was very slow paced and caused the game to drag.

X-Com (the original) perfected this type of play, without the boring wandering around the map with nothing going on. The new X-Com that came out a year or so ago is also quite excellent.

• 2 months later...

Whilst @waltero is pseudo-necroing this thread :ph34r:, I'll jump in. 

Trying searching for 'tactical turn-based' style games when researching for PC options; this will quickly help you filter out all the RTS stuff.

I'm a devout fan of both the original XCOM and it's most recent iterations, as well as games like Jagged Alliance (but not the recent poor 'Flashback' remake). There have been a host of (mostly poor) spin offs as well.

One really fun one on my wifes ipad was Breach and Clear:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266130/

Silent Storm was excellent, with great tactical options and RPG elements for your team, until the stoopid well-overpowered robots completely nerfed your infantry.

Just remebered another one, which meets the original request perfecty: Matrix Games' "Lock 'n Load: Heroes of Stralingrad".

The computer version, dated 2014 so not too old, of a board game. Looks pretty good and was quite successful as board game. Unfortunately I never played it, because I got hooked to GMT's "Combat Commander" series at that time.

• 1 month later...