Would like to see this fixed in next patch, please.

This is my very first "whine posting" (and yes, I would like some cheese and crackers with my whine).

I have noticed that the Heavy Machine Gun Crews break down the gun when moving even one action tile. I checked this against a WW2 Army training film and to move the gun short distances they just picked it up by the tripod. I would appreciate it if using the "move" or "slow" command for a short distance move kept the gun together the same way AT guns can be deployed and rolled into position.

Edited by mech.gato

This is odd, because I have noticed repeatedly that mounted machineguns can in fact be moved 1 action square with a very short pack up/deploy cycle. If you move them further, they need the normal setup times.

I'm using version 2.12

Edited by Bulletpoint

Unless it has been stealth-changed at some point 4 action spots is the distance they can be moved without packing up. However, it is only allowed for 3 machine guns: MG42, MG34 and M1919A4 (Soviet machine guns on wheeled carriages have no pack up time at any distance even though the DShK has one listed in the UI).

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

The Ma Deuce can be (and this is trained for) moved for short distances while fully assembled, as described here on pages 5-32-5-35, found in FM 23-65, Browning Machine Gun, Caliber .50, a rather authoritative source. For unknown reasons, every single time I tried to put up the planned post, I kept getting blocked by some boxed message to the effect that type of image extension isn't supported here. I've stripped out the empty boxes (pics didn't transfer via Copy/Paste) for the graphics altogether and was still getting nowhere fast! In desperation, I stripped down the Figure numbers by removing the parentheses. (VO Homer Simpson) "Stupid software!" Someone at BFC please look into this apparent ridiculous problem!

"The Ma Deuce can be (and this is trained for) moved for short distances while fully assembled, as described here on pages 5-32-5-35, found in FM 23-65, Browning Machine Gun, Caliber .50, a rather authoritative source.

g. Relocation of Tripod-Mounted Gun. When the gun is mounted on the tripod, it can be moved for short distances by dragging or by a two- or three-man carry. (In the latter, the men should move in step to make carrying easier.)

(1) Dragging. The gun is dragged when there is limited cover, or when the situation requires the gun to be moved in this manner. The gunner and assistant gunner drag the mounted gun to the desired position, Figure 5-25.

(2) Two-man carry With the gunner on the right and assistant gunner on the left, each grasps the front leg with his forward hand and a trail leg with the other hand, just above the traversing bar, Figure 5-26.

(3) Three-man carry. When the barrel is hot, the gunner gets behind the tripod with a trail leg in each hand. With the assistant gunner on the left and the ammunition bearer on the right, each grasps the carrying handle. In addition, the assistant gunner carries the ammunition in his left hand, Figure 5-27. When the barrel is cool, the ammunition bearer and the assistant gunner each grasp the front leg, Figure 5-28.

NOTE: Carrying the gun by the barrel may cause damage to the barrel support and the barrel extension. "

While the graphics didn't carry over in my Copy/Paste, there is zero room for doubt regarding what is said above, and the graphics merely confirm what's said. The "cola barrel" referenced in the Figure 5-26 caption is yet another example of the rich Americans' approach to warfare! In the section immediately preceding the one I quoted, the procedure for longer weapon displacements is fully described. There, the MG is separated from the tripod prior to movement, then set back up at the new location. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

poesel,

Here's the Russian standard for pushing an ATG. Taken from Russian field trials of two LL 17-pdr and reported on Archive Awareness. Somehow, I doubt BFC is going to let us do a 500 meter move by pushing (not pulling).

The gun has a series of drawbacks:

1. It is not possible to push the gun 500 meters by hand over rough terrain. The 7 man crew can only push the gun 100 meters on flat terrain. Pushing the gun is further complicated by a lack of convenient rails.

Regards,

John Kettler