Troops arming themselves with AT weapons - Dev questions

GAZ NZ

Do troops get there AT weapons on them ready to fire if you

put an armour arc on?

If they are near an area where a Tank was seen and a ? is in the area with armour marker?

If they know a tank is there confirmed?

How many will use AT4s the AT guy or others if there are lots of AT4s to go around?

As i had a game where in one part the AT guy in my half squad of US troops pulled out his AT4 when a last seen armour marker was nearby there position. I was wondering why he had it out.

I had another US squad who knew a tank was behind a house but didnt arm there AT4s. They also didnt run through side of house blown up and open but ran around to door on other side in front of tank where they died.

I had other squads with multiple AT4s just shoot one instead of more when they had 4-6. If theres a main Battle tank would they not shoot a few off.

I was curious as to when they actually use these and how we can make them use or prep to use

or fire them all off.

Cheers

I am no dev, but:

The cover armor arc is your best option, even if you don't see a soldier embracing his AT be sure he will in a matter of little time when a tank shows up.

This is the best option if you want your soldiers to use all possible AT assets only for AT use.

When you got a unit that can effectively shoot the enemy tank, but doesn't, there can be different reasons, soft factors such as: squad training level, motivation level, etc. Also, some soldiers could not be able to see the target, or the range is not favourable for the use of AT weapons etc. there could be many reasons, so the example should be very detailed to get an explanation.

If you have a house with a blown up side, while there might be a pathfinding bug where the soldiers don't recognize the opening, be sure to use short movement commands and guide your unit in small details right over the opening, so avoid using a generic and long movement command.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Kieme(ITA),

How I miss the Ambush command! It made handling problems like this so much easier and could, I believe (memory's fuzzy) be used to spring an infantry ambush, too. Presently, I think the process is altogether too iffy. In my second QB, I used a Cover Armor Arc in an effort to secure the road into town after having an entire BTR-82 platoon wiped out (Abrams showed up and found a perch from which it could and did massacre my guys who were otherwise masked) practically as soon as the game began. Late in the game, with American infantry already inside the VL, in comes an armed Humvee. Naturally, Murphy decreed the blasted thing would veer left and put a fairly high wall between it and my RPG team before entering the kill zone, leaving only the  exposed turret as a target. Blam! Whoosh! It was now truly a blasted thing. That was the only RPG hit, still less kill, I got in the entire game. The AI was pretty rude and parked an Abrams and a Bradley on the outskirts of town, in front, where, from hull down positions they machine gunned everything in sight. Or tried. They never got close enough that my keyholed guys (split MR squad) could see them. But they couldn't see my guys, either. Which is how they survived!

Regards,

John Kettler

Kieme(ITA),

How I miss the Ambush command! It made handling problems like this so much easier and could, I believe (memory's fuzzy) be used to spring an infantry ambush, too. Presently, I think the process is altogether too iffy. In my second QB, I used a Cover Armor Arc in an effort to secure the road into town after having an entire BTR-82 platoon wiped out (Abrams showed up and found a perch from which it could and did massacre my guys who were otherwise masked) practically as soon as the game began. Late in the game, with American infantry already inside the VL, in comes an armed Humvee. Naturally, Murphy decreed the blasted thing would veer left and put a fairly high wall between it and my RPG team before entering the kill zone, leaving only the  exposed turret as a target. Blam! Whoosh! It was now truly a blasted thing. That was the only RPG hit, still less kill, I got in the entire game. The AI was pretty rude and parked an Abrams and a Bradley on the outskirts of town, in front, where, from hull down positions they machine gunned everything in sight. Or tried. They never got close enough that my keyholed guys (split MR squad) could see them. But they couldn't see my guys, either. Which is how they survived!

Regards,

John Kettler

There has never, in any version of CM, been an ambush command John.

There has never, in any version of CM, been an ambush command John.

At least not one the player can access. There is an ambush mode that scenario/QB designers can assign to an order in the AI script.

Kieme(ITA),

I used a Cover Armor Arc in an effort to secure the road into town...in comes an armed Humvee. Naturally, Murphy decreed the blasted thing would veer left and put a fairly high wall between it and my RPG team before entering the kill zone...

And there you learned the peril of setting your TA (Target Arc) too short. Next time you'll anticipate cover the enemy might seek and set your range to interdict their approaches to the cover. Unless, of course, you set your range as what you consider "effective" (I know I set my bazooka Target Armour Arcs to around 100m as a default, to stop the over-optimistic TacAI taking the shots beyond that range which amount to a "Hail Mary"), at which point, it's just unfortunate that there wasn't a position that would interdict that turn, close enough and secure enough.

The AI was pretty rude and parked an Abrams and a Bradley on the outskirts of town, in front, where, from hull down positions they machine gunned everything in sight. Or tried. They never got close enough that my keyholed guys (split MR squad) could see them. But they couldn't see my guys, either. Which is how they survived!

This is a bit confusing: the AI does not, cannot, indulge in speculative Target Area fire. So it must have been able to see something. I suspect your troops survived because of heavy cover, rather than concealment. Or the AI was firing at something other than that MR squad.

Do troops get there AT weapons on them ready to fire if you

put an armour arc on?

If they are near an area where a Tank was seen and a ? is in the area with armour marker?

If they know a tank is there confirmed?

Using an armour arc does not automatically mean anyone with an AT4(or other AT weapon) will stow their rifle and hold the AT weapon. They seem to make the choice on their own - as you seem to have observed.

How many will use AT4s the AT guy or others if there are lots of AT4s to go around?

Any team member packing at AT weapon can use it. Something like the Javelin does not seem to switch from person to person (not including buddy aid) but other AT weapons do.  Depending on how you split a squad you will get different distributions.  At any rate whom ever has the AT4 will use it.

They also didnt run through side of house blown up and open but ran around to door on other side in front of tank where they died.

Yuck,  that happens occasionally and I do not believe it is intentional.  It could be a bug or it could have been caused by something in the orders.  People would need more info and probably a game save to have much hope of figuring it out.

I had other squads with multiple AT4s just shoot one instead of more when they had 4-6. If theres a main Battle tank would they not shoot a few off.

Well they will keep firing, eventually. What are they doing / not doing that concerns you?

There is an ambush mode that scenario/QB designers can assign to an order in the AI script.

Which just uses commands that we all have access to to implement - cover arcs.

Indeed, and only at a few discrete ranges too, with a 75m minimum. I'd largely expect approaching enemy to have spotted at least some of even Bocage-hidden defenders in good light by 50m, so that seems reasonable to me.

Using an armour arc does not automatically mean anyone with an AT4(or other AT weapon) will stow their rifle and hold the AT weapon. They seem to make the choice on their own - as you seem to have observed.

Any team member packing at AT weapon can use it. Something like the Javelin does not seem to switch from person to person (not including buddy aid) but other AT weapons do.  Depending on how you split a squad you will get different distributions.  At any rate whom ever has the AT4 will use it.

Yuck,  that happens occasionally and I do not believe it is intentional.  It could be a bug or it could have been caused by something in the orders.  People would need more info and probably a game save to have much hope of figuring it out.

Well they will keep firing, eventually. What are they doing / not doing that concerns you?

I WAS WANTING THEM TO SHOOT ALL 4 AT4s OFF AT ONCE lol

MAKE SURE THE TANK IS DEAD haha

I WAS WANTING THEM TO SHOOT ALL 4 AT4s OFF AT ONCE lol

MAKE SURE THE TANK IS DEAD haha

NO NEED TO YELL :)

Got it. Yeah I'm not sure if you really want that. Perhaps you might want more then one fired at once to as you say make sure it's dead but if they fire all of them then they have none left.  You might not like that later...

But on the other hand if they don't take the tank out...

Yeah I'm not sure if you really want that. Perhaps you might want more then one fired at once to as you say make sure it's dead but if they fire all of them then they have none left.  You might not like that later...

But on the other hand if they don't take the tank out...

Could be useful if the tank has APS. Firing one at a time could allow the APS to defeat each shot.