Avenger AA unit.

I'm small surprised, but it's certainly no 2S6.  I'd almost rather the difficulty of conducting CAS in contested air space be better modeled.  Right now it's very much either no planes show up because the scenario writer decides CAP is especially strong, or the CAS shows up and bombs with impunity unless it gets MANPADed or something.  The possibility of anyone's CAS bombing over and over against either NATO's massive air element, or Russia's still respectable defensive capabilities is pretty remote.  

Will we ever see this bad boy in game?

Where I lived 10 years ago, there was a unit close by that had these. We would see them in almost every parade.

I thought they were interesting but really have no clue as to how effective they are.

I really lost interest with modern stuff once I was out of the marine corp. It has only been since this game has come out that I have invested any time to get back into understanding what all equipment is out there and what it is capable of.

The Warrior,

Frankly, I don't understand why they aren't already in the game, considering they occupy something akin to the niche of an SA-13, already in the game, with a  .50 MG thrown in as an afterthought. The SA-13's radar doesn't find the target or track it, it only ranges it and computes lead for crossing targets. The Avenger has no radar at all (can receive and engage targeting data from assets which do), but it does have, in addition to Eyeball, MARK 1, MOD 0, a FLIR and a LRF. The Ma Deuce is of the fast firing M3 aircraft type (950-1200 rds/min). Avenger can also fire on the move.

Regards,

John Kettler

The Warrior,

Frankly, I don't understand why they aren't already in the game, considering they occupy something akin to the niche of an SA-13, already in the game, with a  .50 MG thrown in as an afterthought. The SA-13's radar doesn't find the target or track it, it only ranges it and computes lead for crossing targets. The Avenger has no radar at all (can receive and engage targeting data from assets which do), but it does have, in addition to Eyeball, MARK 1, MOD 0, a FLIR and a LRF. The Ma Deuce is of the fast firing M3 aircraft type (950-1200 rds/min). Avenger can also fire on the move.

Regards,

John Kettler

Yeah I agree, Avengers are certainly a strandard piece of US close-range AAD; so it would only make sence to have them in game. Then again though, where do you draw the line?  Should the Russians (and to a lesser extent Ukranians) have SA-8s, SA-15s, Pantczirs and such? AAD seems to be quite abstracted in CMBS right now; it's a bit too much abstraction to my liking and I would rather see it fixed before more AAD systems are introduced.

Personally, I don't care for CAS in my scenarios that much; but I would love to see ZU-23-2 (both stationary and mounted) in future modules... more so as a ground support platform, than AAA piece.

The Avenger's real downside is it literally has no armor, like less than the LMTV cargo trucks in the game.  The whole turret assembly maxes out the weight the HMMWV can handle and still meeting the ability to go offroad and handle terrain.  

In terms of actual ADA abilities it isn't too bad against certain flavors of threats.  The Stinger is still quite potent against attack helicopters and certainly drones, and the .50 cal would be great at smoking the smaller types of drones (given the abject lack of survivabilty and low altitude of course).  Also given the fact that in-game CAS missions insist on flying within MANPADS range it'd make life harder on SU-25s and somesuch.  The real trick would be as I mentioned earlier that you literally cannot place it anywhere that stray bullets may pass through. 

Re: Duster

I was always of the mind a platform like that, or a revised quad .50 would have been nice for Iraq/Afghanistan simply because of the amount of hurt it could dump out on ambushes.  Not so much against actual planes though.  

The Warrior,

Regards,

John Kettler

Dang. That one dude had a piss pot on his head.

The Avenger's real downside is it literally has no armor, like less than the LMTV cargo trucks in the game.  The whole turret assembly maxes out the weight the HMMWV can handle and still meeting the ability to go offroad and handle terrain.  

The chassis has been upgraded to M1152 level armor, so it's as well protected as a LMTV these days.

Huh.  Go figure, the last ones I saw still were soft and squishy, and that was late 2014.  Last Avenger guy I talked to seemed pretty emphatic it was max armored too.

Anyway.  Not exactly something you want out in front armor or no.

Agreed.  ;) 

The chassis has been upgraded to M1152 level armor

Was Avenger on the original M998 Humvee chassis or the beefier M1097? Humvee suspension has gone through a lot of fine-tuning in the last dozen years as the weight has gone up. I can imagine  them able to find a chassis version stout enough to take the launcher unit plus a bit of armor too. I doubt the original M998 chassis could take the strain.

Edited by MikeyD

If I remember right from my brief stay with a PATRIOT unit at Bliss before I got out, Avenger units are now tied directly to them.  They are like AA point defenses for PATRIOT units nowadays, and not attached to the front line units anymore.

The way it's working out is more the parent unit owns both, but the Avengers still get farmed out as required.  Case in point while the PATRIOT batteries in Korea all live near very sensitive things, the Avengers are based out of Camp Casey with the rest of the US ground forces.  This does not preclude the point defense role, but it was not as cut and dried as being linked together.

Was Avenger on the original M998 Humvee chassis or the beefier M1097? Humvee suspension has gone through a lot of fine-tuning in the last dozen years as the weight has gone up. I can imagine  them able to find a chassis version stout enough to take the launcher unit plus a bit of armor too. I doubt the original M998 chassis could take the strain.

Would have been the M1097 from my understanding.