Inf team member runs away, through impassible terrain!?

Not sure what is going on here but I am playing a PBEM where i noticed that the icon of one of my 4 man split infantry teams was no where near hovering over where I last gave them orders to move.

On further inspection, when I looked where on the map I last ordered them (up against some bocage), I could only see 3 of them.  A fourth member was missing.  I had to reload the previous PBEM files to find out what happened to this fourth team member.

It seems for some reason he decide to just run away, but not normally.  He ran way in a straight line through blocking terrain like bocage!  He must really not want to be there.

Anyway, here is a string of videos showing the unit when it was together and the point at which the rouge team member decided to split.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kzpbvfu8bhf3jr/Rhino-man.mp4?dl=0

Ok womble, lets see if you explain this away as a feature working as intended. This PBEM is on hold as the unit is unresponsive.

Edited by Lt Bull

[snip]

Ok womble, lets see if you explain this away as a feature working as intended. This PBEM is on hold as the unit is unresponsive.

That's beyond me, since it isn't. Nice attitude, by the way, since I was bang on with the PEBCAK issues you had with mortars. If one team getting hosed by random bugs is putting your whole game on hold, it's a pretty small game; you could probably restart for little effort.

You've published videos; and you've got some saves. Bung a selection in a DB folder and put a link here, and maybe one of BFC's reps can push it on to someone who might be able to use it to find what's causing the bug.

I haven't watched any of the videos, but the description matches a bug that has been around since at least CMBN v1.0 and even CMSF from what I've been told. The incidence has been reduced over the years -- I personally haven't seen it happen in about a year -- but it has never been completely squashed because it is not reproducible in some cases.

The usually way of dealing with it is to cancel all current orders then issue a new movement order, but if the unit is unresponsive for some reason then you may have to write it off as an act of Charles god.

That's beyond me, since it isn't. Nice attitude, by the way, since I was bang on with the PEBCAK issues you had with mortars. If one team getting hosed by random bugs is putting your whole game on hold, it's a pretty small game; you could probably restart for little effort.

You've published videos; and you've got some saves. Bung a selection in a DB folder and put a link here, and maybe one of BFC's reps can push it on to someone who might be able to use it to find what's causing the bug.

What do you mean nice attitude? All I do is report stuff that isn't NQR with as much detail and supporting info as I can. Of course your were right about the CMFI mortar ammo issue I had, but what was more surprising was the way you replied.  The explanation was simple, two dot points as I summarised at the end, that were oversights on my behalf anyway.  I appreciate your assistance but if you seem to be calling me out on attitude in this thread because of a light hearted faux challenge thrown your way in my opening post then I think you need to lighten up and take some happy pills. You have mistaken me for someone else.

The actual PBEM is one of the best/most fun I have had actually.  Green Hell.  There is no way I am restarting this.  I am sure I have tried to cancel the orders/give new ones etc. I am pretty sure the team will remain unresponsive up until every pixeltruppen is at the same action spot. So eh either runs back (will take even more time, or he just disappears). That runaway pixeltruppen is next turn away from reaching the edge of the map.  Who knows what happens when he croses the abyss? Will he disappear from the team leaving them to function OK without him?  be happy with that.

Its off to BFC support I go again.

Yeah the concept of somehow killing him did cross my mind...but he is running away from the enemy... would try friendly fire too but he is now well away from everyone.  He will reach the edge of the map next turn.  Waiting on what Helpdesk will recommend.

What do you mean nice attitude?

I mean this:

Ok womble, lets see if you explain this away as a feature working as intended.

If that's all you think my shared knowledge and insight is worth, after I totally pointed out your understandable errors in appreciation of the situation with those FI mortars.

if you seem to be calling me out on attitude in this thread because of a light hearted faux challenge thrown your way in my opening post...

Your entire attitude is "It doesn't work how I think it ought to work! It's rubbish and weird! How can this be! Oh noes!" That's what I'm combining with your "little dig" to synthesise your attitude. Or perhaps you don't understand how dismissive claiming all I do is "explain away" things is in English when I've clearly just helped you out?

You have mistaken me for someone else.

Are there two Lt Bulls? Did you not just claim ownership of the other thread?

The actual PBEM is one of the best/most fun I have had actually.  Green Hell.  There is no way I am restarting this.

Then suck it up, man. Try, just to maintain your immersion, imagining the team just had someone vault a wall and break their leg, and they're not going anywhere til their bud gets some help.

LOL I agree with @Pak40 that is how I read it first too. B)

Anyway back on topic.  This is a new flavour of wondering team member bug.  I was going to suggest killing him off too - I have done that before.  But it seems like that is not going to work in this case.  Here is what I have done in the past for situations like this.  First turn cancel the movement order - give no further orders.  Wait a turn.  Next turn give them a movement order back to where the bulk of the team are.  This does not always work though only some times.

Oh right I forgot to say if you have game saves for this could you share them, please?  Either PM me with a link or to get a conversation started to have them sent.  It looks to me like you have gone back in time to the turn where things stated to go side ways.  So if you have the turn before bad things happened and the turn they started going off plus the one after that just to be sure. That would be helpful.

Also if you are agreeable to sending saves the version of the game you are playing would be required too.

Thank you.