Truck with mounted infantry refuses to follow movement orders?

Hello

I am playing a PBEM scenario WEGO in which I have encountered a situation where the two Opel Blitz (mortar ammo) trucks I have loaded up with infantry refuse to execute the movement orders I give them.

What is strange is that earlier in the scenario, they had no problems shuttling units when I used them to transport units of the 3rd Infantry Plt.

I have never seen/heard anything like this before..

What is going on here?

Yes, I have loaded, unloaded then reloaded the infantry in an attempt to break the glitch.  I have also unloaded the infantry, given the trucks the same move orders, watched them move, reloaded the infantry and issued the same orders again and have the trucks refuse to execute the movement orders.

Bull

30xee6q.jpg

Drivers in and OK (the other driver is actually wounded (yellow)), no pause on order, no damage to vehicle, all infantry on board, no stragglers.

Trucks will respond to movement orders when I dismount the infantry.

This screenshot was taken at the end of a replay where I had already realised the trucks weren't moving and as a test just gave them shorter waypoint move orders just encase there was some odd path finding issue.

NOTE:  This is happening within a PBEM I am currently playing.  The screenshots are from my saved PBEM files.  I have since given up on wasting more time trying to get these infantry transported by truck, they are now on foot to their destination and the trucks are back with the mortars. The inability to move these units by truck has of course affected the battle, but I am still prepared to try other things, like maybe load other units in, or dismount, remount the driver or try transporting other units.

Edited by Lt Bull

Just curious, but are you able to reproduce this problem with a new game against the AI?  If the issue can be reproduced then that makes it much easier for the programmer to isolate the problem.  It may also isolate whether the problem is related to something PBEM specific or if it shows up in both PBEM or single player.  Otherwise if you have saved your PBEM files where the issue was occurring you might be able to send the file to the help desk so they can take a look at it.  Just to be thorough, I'm assuming that you didn't have the vehicles moving into prohibited terrain or across a wall or hedge or something.

I have already cranked up the scenario as a single player WEGO game and attempted to recreate the problem.  I even first loaded 3rd Plt then 1st Plt.  The trucks did not have any problem moving.

I was unsure if the help desk would find the PBEM file useful.  Wouldn't they need both players passwords?

I have already cranked up the scenario as a single player WEGO game and attempted to recreate the problem.  I even first loaded 3rd Plt then 1st Plt.  The trucks did not have any problem moving.

I was unsure if the help desk would find the PBEM file useful.  Wouldn't they need both players passwords?

If you just send them your own file then just your password should suffice.  If they need a file from your opponent then they'll ask for it and perhaps they could even just get the file and password from your opponent (thus preserving your game).

More info on this strangeness!  I have just received the latest PBEM back from my opponent.  Last turn started with 1st Plt in the two problem trucks.  I wanted to have the trucks wait while I infantry dismount the trucks and start moving on foot elsewhere  at the start of the turn and then have the trucks reverse to some other part of the map. In an attempt to achieve this ends, I gave the following orders:

-a MOVE command to the mounted infantry to some nearby place on the map

-a pause command on the trucks of 20 sec to allow the infantry to first embarkation (or so I thought)

-a move command on the trucks to have them move away once the infantry have disembarked,

However, it turns out that regardless of this apparent problem I talk about, I was never going to be able to do what it is I said I wanted to within that one turn.  I just tested it on another map.

If you give the commands I mentioned, what actually happens is that the infantry WILL NOT disembark at the start of the turn while the trucks are PAUSING.  They will actually only disembark after the truck reaches it's final movement destination waypoint, of course which is some time after the PAUSE period expires.

Anyway, in the PBEM replay, neither my truck nor the infantry moved.  At the end of the turn, the movement waypoint orders for both the truck and the infantry persisted.

Just to clarify: normally you have two choices for when your infantry disembark their vehicle: before the truck moves or after it stops.

If you give move orders to the truck and move orders to the infantry that they are carrying the infantry will disembark once the truck stops moving.

If you make sure the truck has no move orders and you give the infantry a dismount command then you can give both the infantry and the truck move orders. In this case the truck will wait for the infantry to disembark and then both will execute their move orders.

Note: the dismount command cannot be cancelled.

In this case though the guys stance seems to indicate he is in the truck and there is plenty of room. Very odd.

Aye, the "plenty of room" thing is a bit odd; my "left behind guy" was, IIRC, in a "sitting in a truck" pose, rather than the default "trooper static on open ground" crawl or kneel. And it's obviously not an exact occurrence of the same problem, since the transport could move off, but it might point at something...

• 2 weeks later...

Lt Bull, run your turn and just let the clock run down.  When the text done displays, check the rear truck of the two.  Do you see some guy sitting on the ground facing the rear of the truck?

get%20in_zpszgv0ay4x.jpg

No I don't.

Here is what I see:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbm34r16ivk5j6w/truck.png?dl=0

BTW your post/screenshot here and my chats with support kind of surprised/confused me. You don't appear to be support but you got access to my ema file and password without my permission?

Support have subsequently closed the ticket and said you are filing an official bug report.

PS:  I notice in your sceenshot you don't get the blurred textures that I do.  Any idea how you are doing that? When I take the screenshot in game the textures don't look like that, but when the screenshot is created it ends up blurry.

Edited by Lt Bull

BTW your post/screenshot here and my chats with support kind of surprised/confused me. You don't appear to be support but you got access to my ema file and password without my permission?

Support have subsequently closed the ticket and said you are filing an official bug report.

sburke is a beta tester and sometimes the help desk will ask beta testers to assist them with an issue either for general information or through replicating it.  The help desk is not staffed by the game programmers but rather by helpful individuals who use all the resources they have available to them to assist the customer in solving a particular problem or issue. 

What he said :D

As to screenshots, I use fraps to take screenshots and picassa to edit. Beyond that I wouldn't know why mine may show up differently.

Your screenshot is actually the command phase. Mine is the end of the replay just prior to hitting the end turn. Once you hit that button, the figure no longer shows. It is only there a brief moment at end of turn.

There are actually several beta testers responding here. When you have a save and a verifiable problem there tends to be more involvement. The requests in various threads for saves etc isn't just idle or lazy support. To be able to open a ticket and not just annoy Charles requires having some kind of data to work with. In the case of your save I was able to see something that you apparently did not catch. That figure showing in my screen shot would seem to be the source of why the vehicles don't move. The issue has been escalated and the save attached. Whether it can be replicated beyond the save is another question, I have never seen this prior in game.

Edited by sburke