How to stop units from wasting javelin missiles?

kraze

In my experence, sometimes it can be the other way around. I want to fire Javelins but the unit has other ideas.

We have stepped ino the combat boots of a Combat Team or Task Force commander. Our job is to make tactical decisions regading how we fight the overall battle. We cannot be micromanaging every squad or vehicle all the time although we can make certain decisions. Uness we specify certain restrictions such as arcs of fire our subordinates, who (hopefully) know their jobs are quite capable of performing their tasks.  

Your squad commander percieves an armoured unit threatening his command and his perception is quite probably different from your perspectie at Combat Team Commander level. So my advce to you is don't try to micromanage everything. Concentrae on doing your job of managing your command and let yur subordiates do their jobs,

In my experence, sometimes it can be the other way around. I want to fire Javelins but the unit has other ideas.

We have stepped ino the combat boots of a Combat Team or Task Force commander. Our job is to make tactical decisions regading how we fight the overall battle. We cannot be micromanaging every squad or vehicle all the time although we can make certain decisions. Uness we specify certain restrictions such as arcs of fire our subordinates, who (hopefully) know their jobs are quite capable of performing their tasks.  

Your squad commander percieves an armoured unit threatening his command and his perception is quite probably different from your perspectie at Combat Team Commander level. So my advce to you is don't try to micromanage everything. Concentrae on doing your job of managing your command and let yur subordiates do their jobs,

Hmmm, micro managing every unit is the core of the game.  I generally let the AI choose its own targets but if you want to suppress a building, area fire, split a team, mount a vehicle, acquire ammo, use Hunt....you get the picture.

Most posters in these forms would argue that in CM you are playing every leader down to the individual squad leader, particularly in WEGO.

The mere fact that the AI has been modified to be more conservative with its javelins generally should tell you that perceived armour threats are not part of the conservation decision making process.

Edited by Jock Tamson

F.e. in one of the first 'battle's where you must destroy 3 AA sites soldiers waste javelins on any infantry they spot first

Is there a command to stop them from wasting javelins or make them hold fire altogether?

Question for you - did you issue a target command for any of your squads?

There is not command to prevent firing of Javelins but you do have some control. If you manually issue a target command to a squad that includes a javelin launcher they will use a missile if they can. So, don't do that. You can either split the AT team off the squad so you can issue a target command to the bulk of the squad or you can just let the full squad choose their own targets. Having said that they still might decide to target an infantry position with a missile on their own. In general they save their AT assets for enemy vehicles just not 100% of the time.

BTW, Is a real Javelin able to track moving human targets? In one scenario I was playing as the Russians and my ATGM soldier was running from cover to cover. The Americans nailed him with a Javelin. Range was about 900 meters.

This is absolutely possible with a real Javelin. Here is an actual briefing series on Javelin employment in Afghanistan, not 1-to-1 applicable to Black Sea obviously, but there is some good tactical stuff in there.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2012armaments/Tuesday14015schlabach.pdf

Hmmm, micro managing every unit is the core of the game.  I generally let the AI choose its own targets but if you want to suppress a building, area fire, split a team, mount a vehicle, acquire ammo, use Hunt....you get the picture.

Most posters in these forms would argue that in CM you are playing every leader down to the individual squad leader, particularly in WEGO.

The mere fact that the AI has been modified to be more conservative with its javelins generally should tell you that perceived armour threats are not part of the conservation decision making process.

My point is tht you can micromanage too much. I prefer to think in terms of operating my companies and platoons. On ccasion I pay attention to individual squads and more often with AFVs. Tiis is because I view my role as most often being a company, battlegroup/combat team commander. \That said thee are times when you want to concentrate on critical small unit actions at platoon level. The trouble of doing so constyntly is that you can lose track of the big picture of the overall battle at company/combat team level.

This is absolutely possible with a real Javelin. Here is an actual briefing series on Javelin employment in Afghanistan, not 1-to-1 applicable to Black Sea obviously, but there is some good tactical stuff in there.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2012armaments/Tuesday14015schlabach.pdf

That's some interesting info. Shooting Javelins into caves!

So we found out that the Javelins, you could fire straight into the mouth of a cave, ...it would just blast out the inside of that cave. ... and it was perfect.

My point is tht you can micromanage too much. I prefer to think in terms of operating my companies and platoons. On ccasion I pay attention to individual squads and more often with AFVs. Tiis is because I view my role as most often being a company, battlegroup/combat team commander. \That said thee are times when you want to concentrate on critical small unit actions at platoon level. The trouble of doing so constyntly is that you can lose track of the big picture of the overall battle at company/combat team level.

The problem is if you don't manage the individual squads, no one will. They won't take any action other than shoot and react to extreme threats. There's no squad or platoon leaders under you.

Combat Mission is much more battle chess than being in the boots of the commander, and as such you'll be very ineffective if you don't play squad leader for every squad. Losing focus of the big is of course a problem with this, so I usually don't like large battles (and I wish CM would focus more on a smaller scale). 

On topic, that does mean that carefully managing the fire orders is important as in a lot of cases you should be suggesting what sort of weapons to use for them. Generally for a javelin team, my opinion is keep them on tight leash and not issue any target orders until you have a javelin worthy target. Don't expose a team with that valuable of a weapon to return fire until you need them.   

(of course when you do actually want them to fire a javelin at a building or infantry, it's like pulling teeth to get them to use it).