Up, Close and Personal - Fighting

Hi All.

Speaking of updates and improvements. How possible is it for current and future versions to beef up a bit when infantry gets close. I mean.. during the middle of a fight, and the rare occasion that you get two companies very close to each other... there is a very high chance that the units/soldiers are within arms reach.

shouldn't they 'fight' with their bayonets, or hit each other with the rifle stub? and knockout rather than throwing a grenade at just 3 to 4 feet away ?

I dunno - is the Assault function for this very reason? i never zoomed in under assault key. Perhaps i should.

What do you all think?

Yes, it would be very cool and 'wet work' did occur most commonly on the Eastern front but also in other marquee battles like Arnhem. And, yes, one questions whether the additional animations are worth the effort given the coding complications. What CM needs, imo, is a better surrendering algorithm- which is also challenging to implement due to the situational nuances. The solution may not exist.

At least this would be easy to implement - BF could simply toggle spotting off for surrendering units.

Actually I thought it already worked this way.

not immediately no. I have seen it last quite a while in a hth fight as the unit was on that thin line of trying to surrender and being urged back into the fight. I finally area fired on them and resolved their... umm dilemma. Bastards were sitting their saying we surrender to me while yelling back to their buddies where my boys position was. Not acceptable.

There's a scenario in FI, Primosole Bridge, iirc, in which British paras battle Italians reinforced by an arriving German force. Historically the near totality of the low-morale Italians surrendered before the Germs arrived. A not insignificant fraction of the British was then detailed to POW herding. Thus the CM battle plays out in never-never land.

You have, for example, situations in which an attacking squad assaults into a house defended by a wavering enemy team. The latter typically fights to the death. Unlikely given average motivational factors.

Perhaps, the AI needs to be aware of the precise grand tactical situation, their troop's distance from supporting units. That may require cheating on its part. Not to mention the player's frustration as bleeding chunks of his force are removed from his control.

Edited by Childress

Hmmm,

I see this:

• Members(sic)
  • 2,058 posts
  • 1 warning points(sic)
nah I have one as well.  What is strange was for a couple days there mine was indicating two even though I never had a second.

Apparently it's forever. The sin can never be washed away. Like blood stains. In fact, your son may inherit it. Prepare him.

Edited by Childress

A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them.

:) What do the warning points translate to anyway ? banning from posting of comments ?

Thanks, Ralph Waldo, for the edifying comment. ;) 

I 'think' your entitled to three transgressions. A sum surely attained or surpassed by the of the more, uh, incendiary posters on this board. After three you get paratroopers rapelling down from the roof into your bedroom.

Breaking news! The 1 Warning Point(s) has been removed, At last, I feel whole, no, make that reborn. Through the mist I can at last glimpse the glittering path. I will walk carefree and  unencumbered upon it. 

I assume this is due to the groundswell  of support from sympathetic forum members. Thanks, boys. ;)

This is usually the state one attains before stepping on the mine.

:D

Michael

There was in fact a mine, Michael. And sburke and I were walking, arm in arm, down that glittering path. Tragically he pranced ahead to smell a rose. BOOM. Sburke, we hardly knew ye.

I've had some PM inquires about my avatar. Who is that guy? His name is Mikhail Illarionovich Golenishchev-DiCaprio,( Russian: князь Михаи́л Илларио́нович Голени́щев-DiCaprio), Field Marshall of the Russian Empire, Hero of the Radetzky Redoubt and womanizer extraordinaire. His end was melancholy. He perished when his troop transport met an iceberg in the Gulf of Finland.

Edited by Childress

That iceberg was actually part of an outpost line of defense. Darn sneaky, those Finns!

;)

Michael

Yeah, they're a menace. And they said that ship was unsinkable. The sad part was that  Golenishchev-DiCaprio had just fallen in love with a perky English girl in steerage before the accident.

Michael, I took the liberty of coming up with this pic to remedy your deplorable lack of an eye-catching avatar.

images.jpg

Or, if you prefer we can go the imposing route . No back talk, guaranteed.  Your choice.

Dawe_George_ZZZ_Portrait_of_Konstantin_M

Edited by Childress