Up, Close and Personal - Fighting

Since I am the challenged, I get to choose the battleground.

Er, no you don't. This a RUSSIAN duel. It will take place by theTchernaya Rechka (google it) in Saint Petersburg next Tuesday at 4pm.  So you'll need an airplane ticket. And you'll be fighting Mikhail Illarionovich Golenishchev-DiCaprio IV, his great, great, etc grandson, still touchy over the family honor after all these years. I forgot to mention you will have your choice of weapon. I suggest heavily filed-to-a-point fingernails.

So will we see some

Up, Close and Personal

fighting?

I really know how to put threads back on track.

Regardless, while I liked how CM1 abstracted close fighting I don't think it would  be possible to implement it in CM2. In CM1 we had groups, in CM2 we have single soldiers organised in groups. Abstracting close combat would lead to all kind of weird issues. How would you handle spotting? What if a mortar dropped close?

If soldiers aren't where we see them the game will become less logical. Unless you have an idea how to keep the soldiers in place and handle close fights.

Edited by Jargotn

Er, no you don't. This a RUSSIAN duel. It will take place by theTchernaya Rechka (google it) in Saint Petersburg next Tuesday at 4pm.  So you'll need an airplane ticket. And you'll be fighting Mikhail Illarionovich Golenishchev-DiCaprio IV, his great, great, etc grandson, still touchy over the family honor after all these years. I forgot to mention you will have your choice of weapon. I suggest heavily filed-to-a-point fingernails.

Sorry, I don't fly anymore. Too many planes winding up at the bottom of the ocean lately. Please accept my apology for besmirching the honor of Illarionovich something-or-other. ;-)

So will we see some

Up, Close and Personal

fighting?

I really know how to put threads back on track.

Regardless, while I liked how CM1 abstracted close fighting I don't think it would  be possible to implement it in CM2. In CM1 we had groups, in CM2 we have single soldiers organised in groups. Abstracting close combat would lead to all kind of weird issues. How would you handle spotting? What if a mortar dropped close?

If soldiers aren't where we see them the game will become less logical. Unless you have an idea how to keep the soldiers in place and handle close fights.

That's a good point. I'm not sure how it could be properly handled, but then I'm not a programmer (well, I did a bit of BASIC back in 1984ish). 

more persistent suppression effects across the board. 

Nice try. And invalidate all the existing scenarios? You haven't thought this through.

There is a rumor floating around that there are two separate versions for each CM2 title. The official one with the (alleged) current easygoing, resilient suppression effects for the unwashed masses and another that imposes grittier, more punitive standards. Your troops go to ground at the first sound of enemy movement or rout off the board like headless chickens. Crack CM players meet quarterly at an inn in Vermont for tournaments using the latter rules. It's open for all, but you need to know the secret handshake.

Please accept my apology for besmirching the honor of Illarionovich something-or-other. ;-)

I passed it on and he accepted. Just as well. 'Four' (as his friends call him) is said to be  an Olympics caliber swordsman and deadly with a pistol to boot. You wouldn't have had a chance. Provided he's sober.

Crack CM players meet quarterly at an inn in Vermont for tournaments using the latter rules. It's open for all, but you need to know the secret handshake.

Thanks, Bil! The thingie with the pinky was a bit tricky. I'll bring the hors d'oeuvres.

So, it's true that your units will go into Panic mode at the first spotting round? Their own spotting rounds? Challenging! I like it.