The next generation of Gamers

Well described - I feel the same way.

I know that this is not what @womble meant when he differentiated between "goal focused" and "process focused". I play like I am process focused as described by @womble but I definitely have goals in mind - taking out the enemy I am facing and winning the day!!! I just don't have to do it *today* :D

:)Those goals are part of the process. Without that level of goal setting, you're just stirring pixels with your mouse...

Goal-focused vs process-focused. Couldn't give a fig, personally, whether I finish a game in any given session. It's the playing that's the draw, not the finding out whether I won or lost and then starting something new. For me, because I'm process-focused not goal-focused. Diff'r'n't strokes...

+1. Sometimes I just like watching my units. Sort of like creating an animated diorama, and then try to get a video or screenshot of it.

Add to that, that he was stopping every few seconds to type something, and, I mean...Combat Mission is slow?

I was arguing that CMx2 doesn't have to be slow. And yeah, there are a lot of slower-paced games played by younger gamers. Part of the problem is that there is no way to quickly drop in and find a multiplayer game.

I'm pretty sure I've said before that a rudimentary lobby system for real-time players and more streamlined connection process for everyone would be a boon.

I think the future lies in how CM will work with the likes of Oculus Rift.

It will bring a whole new world of wargaming.

I don't see very much value in an OR display for CM. A bit of immersion, perhaps, but for me, the main advantage of OR is in situational awareness (being able to keep looking around in a very natural way) with a secondary advantage in being able to access features like "lean" or "peek" in a similarly instinctive manner. There might be more advantage conferred on a Real Time player who needs to be able to look about a bit more than a WeGo player, but the game's viewpoint isn't personal, so having a personal viewpoint isn't much advantage most of the time.

I don't know.

I don't think it would take anything away from the game or playing WEGO.

I think if you were able to move down to the level of the turret commander and look around in panoramic 3d or zooming out above the battlefield and seeing the undulating terrain and just moving your head back and forth to see the whole map instead of using the keyboard would be an enhancement.

Perhaps you could just reach out from a height, touch units, and give them voice commands (or the option of bringing up menus).

Just my opinion.

Of course this is all very much in the future.

(But it's knocking on the door.)

From this day to the ending of the world,

But we in it shall be remembered-

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.

:-) The fact that the series has been going with a certain momentum... speaks for itself, that they will take care of us, our needs, and the more holistic approaches required to take the game into 2015 and beyond.

I don't know.

I don't think it would take anything away from the game or playing WEGO.

No, it wouldn't take anything away. But the opportunity cost of developing for headset-vision would mean that other things didn't get added. If it's as simple as a monitor resulution change is now, to plug in some API for the headsets, then maybe it'd be worth it. Maybe it'll be a "gimme" when they move their platform off of OpenGL. But its presence or otherwise will neither kill the game nor propel it to the top of the bestseller list: I'm disputing your "... the future lies in how CM will work with the likes of Oculus Rift," statement.

I think if you were able to move down to the level of the turret commander and look around in panoramic 3d or zooming out above the battlefield and seeing the undulating terrain and just moving your head back and forth to see the whole map instead of using the keyboard would be an enhancement.

So would about a thousand other things that have already been asked for more than once. This is the first time I think I've seen anyone asking for Rift functionality.

To re-emphasise: yes, Rift would be cool, but the game doesn't need it enough for it to be a high priority. Also, the game's camera mechanisms would need a lot of smoothing for Rift-vision to be other than disorienting: stepwise height alteration, for one.

Oh yes, I do agree it would be a major software effort to get CM, or any software, to work with a 3D platform.

Probably be a whole new game start to finish.

And perhaps I misstated that the "future of CM" lies with working with the Rift (or some other 3D platform.)

I know, for one, I will always be playing CM in any dimension ;)

However, although I can't say that I "know" it will, but rather, that in "my opinion" I strongly believe that, how should I put this, the highest selling games, especially with the younger generation, will be in 3D.

This may not be for another 10 years or sooner even but it's coming and I feel it may be closer than we think.

I feel like I sound like a commercial.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/how-palmer-luckey-created-oculus-rift-180953049/?all&no-ist

https://www.oculus.com/rift/