3.0 and Splitting Squads

Don't get me wrong I think it would be nice to have that option in some situations but personally I like the fact that you have to use different tactics. I find they really need to stick together as there firepower is very weak IMHO. To answer your question - I don't recall Battlefront saying they would allow splitting squads for the Italians.

I just wish I had it for scouting and for fighting in villages. Run into a couple situations where there were far too many men in a single shack. They would have split off men for these things in real life anyway, I cannot see why they couldn't have just gone the way they did with the Russians.

I agree, and if Bolshevik Squads can Split, then so should Wop Squads.

Joe

You need to frame a better argument than that if you want to persuade BF. Not that they shouldn't but that argument won't get you there. Now go back to your desk and get to work, we expect a 500 word essay with footnotes etc. by tomorrow.

This seems to be an unhappy medium that we have to settle with because of the limits of CM. While these are half squads they definitely should be splittable. The current system leads to an absurd number of unrealistic situations that artificially hamstring the Italians.

On the other hand allowing the squads to be split would allow the player to abuse that ability to create a whole bunch of unrealistic situations.

Personally going the Soviet route makes a whole lot more sense to me as it seems to allow the player full tactical flexibility while realistically limiting the capabilities of the Italian half squads to operate as quarter squads.

*My understanding of the Soviet solution is that a split squad out of CC with their Squad Leader takes a morale hit. Assuming this is true the Italian morale hit could just be much larger than what the current Soviet version is.

When the game first was released I complained about it and was put in my place with Steve being part of those that commented.

Since then, I have learned to play with them better and don't think it is a terrible problem as it is presently done within the game. The Italian's were prone as to having to work in large groups in RL

But I had thought about it all this time and what I thought might be the perfect solution is not allowing additional splitting of the unit. But programming that would get the unit to spread out into adjacent action spots more often. But I bet that would be like trying to program a whole new game since they are the only units who would need it and all programming has never been designed for such a feature.

But it would sure help resolve the problem of so many soldiers bunching up into one action spot so much at times.