Uncontrolled AIR in CMBN

"...there is a certain amount of war gaming ecstasy that can be derived from watching your preparatory plan blow up half the map..."

Don't give up that Battle ecstasy :) It is just fun to let the fly boys have at it in a "test" set up. Not realistic or historical but can be satisfying after a hard day;)

"...it's generally better for the scenario designer to model the effects of assumed preparatory strikes on the condition of the defense at start, and go from there. Sometimes it's appropriate to include a couple of modules of heavy support that can be assumed to represent the last bits of the preparatory strikes as he attack starts.."

A most reasonable and enjoyable design idea YankeeDog.

"...designate certain indirect support assets as "Pre-Planned" only....not be to include whole 40 minute+ prep plans with dozens of guns and/or planes, but rather to give the SD the option of including the very tail end of the prep strikes -- the last phase of the gun fire plan, and/or the last few aircraft to make their attack runs."

Superb suggestion YankeeDog. Should be on a "wish list."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I started playing the MG Campaign Road to Nijmegen when MG first came out. I made a comment a while back about the British Air strafing my 82nd Airborne troopers.

I stopped playing the campaign, but restarted it after upgrading to 3.0. I'm now playing Breakout From the Neerpelt Bridgehead.

Air support is now automatic and as unpredictable and as deadly to your own troops as the enemy. A squad was decimated with just 1 survivor due to a strafing and a Bren with Vickers got a 500/1000 bomb or rockets from a Typhoon attack.

Due to the nature of the battle where I have to move fast and exit the map, its not really feasible to just stop and take cover.

Well at least one German 75mm got strafed. I hope my FO is in communication telling them to stop or at least tell them where the front line is cause I can't tell them to cease fire...

...Road to Nijmegen...restarted it after upgrading to 3.0. ...

Air support is now automatic...

...I hope my FO is in communication telling them to stop or at least tell them where the front line is cause I can't tell them to cease fire...

...With the fly boys killing my own men I think that I will find it damn near impossible.

Did you boys read the rest of the thread where it's clear that this is unintended behaviour and should be fixed. Are you playing the hotfixed version, and still finding air in the BN family to be uncontrolled?

Did you boys read the rest of the thread where it's clear that this is unintended behaviour and should be fixed. Are you playing the hotfixed version, and still finding air in the BN family to be uncontrolled?

I'm playing with version 3.0. I bought the update and installed over a previous version. Is there a later hotfix I'm not aware of?

An updated 3.0 installer for CMBN and CMFI was released on the 21st:

"Updated installers for the 3.0 Game Engine Upgrade for both Combat Mission Battle for Normandy and Combat Mission Fortress Italy are now available for download (PC only)! The updated installers address a number of additional issues found after the original release, mostly specific to certain hardware and graphics drivers:

- The building entry bug should be fixed.

- ATI decal-related lighting issues should be fixed.

- General shadow performance and looks have been improved.

- Air support should now behave as it used to in CMBN and CMFI."

If you updated to 3.0 before the 21st, I would re-download the 3.0 installer again and run it. I did that and everything is fine.

ah yes...another turn and another squad decimated by my air cover. At this rate I'll have little infantry left to exit the map.

I'll have to remind Monty the next time he's handing out medal to the flyboys to award them Iron Crosses with Oak Leaves. They're doing the Germans job quite well.

db_zero, If you have the latest version of 3.0 you will have to start the scenario from scratch other wise you will find that the air support has already been called and is on a target area bigger than the map! hence the friendly fire.

Restart the mission and you will have full control of the planes again(you might have to load a save from the end of the LAST mission but i'm not 100% sure on that).

It was too late as I was pretty far into the game. The damm air also hit my FAC and killed 1 member and fried the Bren carrier.

I'm now onto the next mission with a much reduced force...

To comfort the blow myself I just ordered a EVGA GeForce GTX760 SuperClocked w/EVGA ACX Cooler 2GB GDDR5 256bit, Dual-Link DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI,DP, SLI Ready Graphics Card (02G-P4-2765-KR) Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2765-KR.

This will replace yy Radeon 5500. Hopefully this will allow better framerates with the huge battles.

I also get the impression that you'll get better eye candy with Nvidia in CM.

It was too late as I was pretty far into the game. The damm air also hit my FAC and killed 1 member and fried the Bren carrier.

I'm now onto the next mission with a much reduced force...

To comfort the blow myself I just ordered a EVGA GeForce GTX760 SuperClocked w/EVGA ACX Cooler 2GB GDDR5 256bit, Dual-Link DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI,DP, SLI Ready Graphics Card (02G-P4-2765-KR) Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2765-KR.

This will replace yy Radeon 5500. Hopefully this will allow better framerates with the huge battles.

I also get the impression that you'll get better eye candy with Nvidia in CM.

Love Nvidia cards. I had a bad experience with a Radeon card several cpu's ago and have never went back.

I've had both Nvidia and ATI cards in the past and like both. The ATI 2 gig 5850 card I currently have a 4 years old. It does a decent job running at 1650x1024 with everything maxed out, but I get clipping and sometimes the screen redraws lag.

I hope to see a decent improvement with the new 760 card which I should get tomorrow.

On the huge battles which get bogged down I don't know if the new video card is going to make a huge difference. I'm have a AMD Phenom IIX4 955 processor and 8 gigs of RAM.

Will also be interesting to see how A-10, DCS world and Flight Sim X does with the new video card.

I have a 1 Gig Radion 6800.

WH plays fine. FSX plays fine. I haven't done any maps in CMBN that I know slowed down the sim. Maybe I haven't played any big enough.

FSX is almost entirely CPU driven so no matter what card you have, it won't go any faster than your CPU which does 80% of the rendering in that sim.

-Pv-

LOL. Timing, lad, timing! AMD has just released the new architecture R9 285 within the last day or two. (Specs are boring. $250, replaces/improves upon the R9 280 which can be had for sub $200 now.) It hints that the 285x/295/295x cards will be along shortly. At the same time, Nvidia is almost ready to release their next generation. (Skipping the 8xx series for desktops since mobile gpu's have those numbers.) It'll be the 9xx series. This pending release is causing the 780ti prices plummet.

Timing!

Regardless, you'll see a bit of an improvement.

db_zero, If you have the latest version of 3.0 you will have to start the scenario from scratch other wise you will find that the air support has already been called and is on a target area bigger than the map! hence the friendly fire.

Restart the mission and you will have full control of the planes again(you might have to load a save from the end of the LAST mission but i'm not 100% sure on that).

Well I bit the proverbial bullet and decided to start over-from the very beginning of the campaign.

I also did a complete uninstall and reinstall of CMBN yesterday and in the process wiped out my "z" mods folder. That may have been a blessing in disguise as in the past some of the mods I installed didn't function.

Now that I did a complete re-install and re-applied mods that I wanted its all good. The maps look different, portrait, grid, sound and terrain mods are functioning and the game has a completely new feel.

Makes me want to do the same for Italy.

Dare I say Combat Mission is like Windows XP? You have to do a complete reformat and install every year or 2 to get it functioning like new.

I should get a new Nvidia graphics card tomorrow. Maybe Christmas has arrive early for me.

In addition to restarting the Allied Marget Garden Campaign, I'm going to have to restart the CW Normandy Campaign as it appears that upgrading to ver 3.0 has made my saved games vanish.