Machinery

Anybody know what this is? It looks like it is laying down canvas or something similar, and it looks like it is for an airstrip. But I have trouble making sense of it all. Why canvas for a landing strip? I can see laying PSP over it, but then why bother with the canvas in the first place? This is all new to me and I'd love to know what is going on.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/photosnormandie/6108781593/in/photostream/

Michael

Use it to SMOTHER enemy troops lying in a trench! The only weakness is if they have bayonets or flamethrowers...

Ken, I think only your troops would ever have the... erm... intestinal fortitude to use a flamethrower to burn through something covering their own trench...

It's to provide a more stable roadway across a beach. See also the AVRE with bobbin here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobart%27s_Funnies

I don't think so. That doesn't look like a beach to me. It looks like an area that has been cleared to make a hasty landing strip. I would hazard a guess that the canvas was laid down before the PSP to try to control dust, which could raise havoc with engines. It might also help to keep the PSP from sinking into the mud when it rained. Thing is, I never heard of the practice, let alone a specialized vehicle for laying it down. Sometimes the amount and variety of equipment that was created for the war is amazing. Try going through the entire inventory of vessels designed and built for amphibious warfare just by the Allies, for instance.

Michael

http://www.ronaldv.nl/abandoned/airfields/FR/lowernormandy/manche.html#Querqueville

Air field Querqueville (l'aèrodrome Cherbourg-Querqueville, also known as ALG A-23C Querqueville) was an airfield 3 miles (5km) west of Cherbourg in Normandy, France.

In 1944, after Cherbourg fell to US forces following a lengthy battle, US IX Engineering Command, 830th Engineer Aviation Battallion began rebuilding the airfield.

Assisted by 826 EAB they found and cleared 4500 landmines at the airfield. As the mines could not be detected by their mine detectors, this meant an extraordinary effort, for which the units' men were awarded with several Bronze Stars. 830EAB then proceeded to convert Querqueville into a transport airfield, designated ALG-23C. They constructed a large platform and managed to squeeze in a 4600x120ft runway.

4131463059_947abf64ff_z.jpg

Men of 850th Engineer Aviation Bn (EAB), IX Engineer Command, Ninth Air Force place Hessian Matting on ALG A-23C. This photo has some very crude censor marks. See the next photo for more subtle censoring of the same photo (PhotosNormandie, on Flickr).

You're right Michael.. It isn't on a beach. The caption to the original photo calls it a "piste d'envol"... i.e. a runway in French. The photo shows an airfield close to one of the Cherbourg forts that had been captured in late June.

As far as I know, as well as using the rigid metal PSP type of "matting" strips. The Allies also used rolls of linked chain, placed on a Hessian base.

http://www.afcec.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-120925-105.pdf

Airfield Damage Repair: The Beginning

...Another material WWII engineers used was prefabricated bituminous surfacing, better known as "Hessian Matting." This was a heavy burlap type material delivered to sites in rolls and laid lengthwise down a runway at a 50 percent overlap using a machine known as a "stamp-licker." As Hessian Matting came off the rolls, a coating of solvent was applied to the bottom to produce a sticky surface. Hessian Matting had no load-bearing capacity; it served primarily as ground cover. When the material became too slick for the aircraft, a light coat of solvent or diesel fuel was spread on the runway, followed by a sprinkling of sand that was pressed into the surface with a roller. This provided adequate friction for aircraft using the runways.

Repair of the Hessian Matting from bombing attacks could be easily done by removing the damaged strips, replacing the sub-grade, and laying new matting using mops and buckets of solvent. The advantage of Hessian Matting over PSP was its lighter weight. A 3,600-foot runway required only 800 tons of Hessian Matting versus 4,800 tons of Pierced steel plank (PSP). Engineers built more than 100 Hessian Matting airfields in Europe following D-Day, including 30 in the Normandy area alone.