Classic CMBO "Last Defense" Revised for 3.0

You Can Find in the Repository-CMBN/Market Garden section.

What's New:

1. Triggers and timers are fully used in all their varieties

2. Used More Group Orders

3. Changed the Victory Objective appearance and numbers

4. Altered the Reinforcement timing.

5. Made various map changes to improve playability.

6. Added more Time.

7. And finally got the Hellcats in (why you must have MG to play).

PS Added Last Defense V3 QB Map (Attack Style Only) to CMBN Base game/Maps section

This is funny. I was showing my cousin, CMBN last night, and loaded up Tom's remake of Chance Encounter. I was telling him about the CMBO demos and how we all played them at least 50 times a piece waiting on the full game. And here, the first CMBN scenario with triggers is Last Defense. You can't argue with the classics.

Actually, I just got off the phone with him and he said he can't wait to get back to my house tomorrow so he can watch the game get finished. He said he's been thinking about it all day while he's been working. I think he may be CMilated.

Mord.

Curious if the older scenarios will work well with V3.0 since you updated Last Defense.

I would guess they work the same way they always will but they could be better?

They could be made better by utilising the improvements to AI plan possibilities that have been introduced since CMBN 1.0, but until someone actively does that, they'll run exactly as they always have.

They could be made better by utilising the improvements to AI plan possibilities that have been introduced since CMBN 1.0, but until someone actively does that, they'll run exactly as they always have.

That's what I was attempting to say. Cool stuff for the price of a ballpark beer.

The Real value of 3.0 is totally under the hood. Perhaps that's why I see some unhappy posters. The AI engine has moved forward a lot. triggers are, of course a big part of that, but the ability of the AI to assess threats and remember them after they've been spotted is very much improved.

But how much will that affect 1.0 made scen? Depends on the scen. Let's consider my original CMBN Last Defense.

Of the several re-makes I've done, CMBN/LD 1.0 was the worst. It just wasn't fun to play. It was out of balance for the map size, arty usage, and most importantly, AI response on the defense. I could of done better. Attempting to use the new tools of CMBN v.0 while remaining slavishly to old CMBO standards proved to be a real bust. But two modules and two new titles worth of CMx2 improvements has allowed me another chance to breath life in the old girl. Obviously the players will be the arbiter of my efforts, but I feel much better about LD V3.0 than any other I've made.

The Real value of 3.0 is totally under the hood. Perhaps that's why I see some unhappy posters. The AI engine has moved forward a lot. triggers are, of course a big part of that, but the ability of the AI to assess threats and remember them after they've been spotted is very much improved.

Thanks, Mark, for pointing this out.

But why did you have to? It's not mentioned in the announcement, nor the actual download page. I can't see a link to a Readme or patch notes page. It's a big deal, surely, especially for the majority demographic that is the solo player.

Rhetorical question, really, though it does seem to be par for the BFC communication course.

The AI has been able to "remember" for short periods of time for a while (CMFI?) now. That and a general accumulation of graphics and fine tuning of AI since RT was released are understandably hard do define. Beta testers test, bitch, re-test, and bitch some more at a near constant rate. I keep my eye on the QB Ball and so often miss advances in game mechanics until post release the frenzy.

Played this scenario this evening, don't think I played it before (and never played CMx1). As this scenario is a classic I guess I don't have to be afraid posting any *** spoilers *** ;)

Without being able to compare it to any previous scenario I think it is a very good CMx2 scenario with a well orchestrated AI attack. I managed a total victory (enemy surrender with 7 min left) at the cost of 2 hellcats, 33 KIA and 23 WIA.

Decided the forward posts where suicidal I vacated them directly. Took out a stug first, than the tiger got a very fast spot and shot on my hull down hellcat and brewed it up. While peppering the enemy with mortars my troops in the town hid till the enemy came in close range. Took a lot of casualties but was just able to hold on when I finally managed to kill the tiger and 2nd stug on the edge of the town with my last hellcat and help of bazooka teams. Last 76mm HE rounds were used to silence the overwatching MG-42's. After that the German advance ran out of steam while I moved 3rd platoon forward in the town and routed the rest of the doggedly attackers. All in all very enjoyable scenario!

CM Normandy 2014-08-13 01-17-31-88.jpg