Idea for uniform modder to pursue...

The uniforms in the game have very good trouser creases and wrinkles already there for the taking. I suggest going back to the original monochromatic coveralls, but if feld gray trousers match the model that is better.

Convert to gray scale. Super contrast these monochromatic trousers (not camo uniform) until you have a very light and very dark portions. The darkness corresponds to the wrinkles. Now covert to 2 colour black and white. Use the magic wand selection tool to select. Then shift ctrl I, to select just the black inverse...as in the black blobs, you don't want the white. only the shadows and creases. Now copy paste into your original flat ameba camo coverall texture as a layer, and adjust the opacity so the black creases and shadows look appropriate in the game, maybe 40%...go into the game have look, back out and adjust til you get it right. That's how you apply stolen creases and wrinkles that fit perfect to the model you are using. You can always dodge tool a bit to add wear and tear after.

Ofcourse this works for the whole uniform not just the trouser, so if you are using the vanilla tanker coveralls this will be a perfect fit. Probably easier to work with olive ones from the brits if they are the same model, not sure, but you can hue first the Russians so they covert to grayscale nicer.

Try adding a layer of fabric texture over the camo, also once you figure out where the seasm are you can break the camo down into the actual fabric sections. Also instead of adding the splotches for the camo onto the base layer try building a swatch of the camo pattern and then clone stamping it to the UV map. Then you really need to play with color balance and other elements to bring out some depth. This can be difficult but start by adjusting your gray scale and then maybe add a cavity map to help with the shading

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

@waffelmann

I do not exactly recall BUT my memory seems to vaguely think I had to first trick the skeleton file and then that trumps trying to modify JUST the skins.

As F&R brings more uniform possibilities, then it SHOULD work to have Soviet troops in their new quilted uniforms and THEN have the Amoeba replacing non-winter uniform for these engineers as "guest stars" in the scenario. I think that is how it would work.

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I've just read the Germans developed a new camo in 1945 for both Heer and Waffen SS uniforms called Leibermuster. Pretty ugly, but it would be a good idea for a mod.

That sounds like a cheese! Maybe I will go down to the local delicatessen and order a pound of Leibermuster...

It is so odd that @Aragorn2002 decided to send a post to this very thread BECAUSE AT THAT VERY MOMENT I WAS FINALLY GOING BACK AND DOING THE SAPPER UNIFORM! Isn't that so strange...!

7 years ago! I have learned a lot more since then and though I am still no benparks or anybody with those photoshop talents, I have been crawling slowly forward.

I just focused on outfitting a platoon of sappers modtagged as [sapper]. Now trying for a little variety in the layout of the garments. 

lqPScxI.png

AND GET THIS! I am actually now playing a PBEM as Romanians attacking against the opponent with his platoon of sappers in amoeba defending a train station.

I will get an AI plan in place and then return here to paste a dropbox link for the entire mod and offer the scenario of course.

Just now, Aragorn2002 said:

Really, Phil, you're all over the place. Where do you find that energy? Personally I'm recovering from a CM burnout after all the delay with Fire and Rubble.

well, it was work left unfinished...

All the effort put in and NOT to finally complete it seemed inappropriate.

CM Burnout is a real thing. Get away for a while!

Just now, kohlenklau said:

well, it was work left unfinished...

All the effort put in and NOT to finally complete it seemed inappropriate.

CM Burnout is a real thing. Get away for a while!

If only. It's a bit of an obsession, especially since the world is a very small place at the moment. I know it did you a lot of good though.