German M1A2 MK4s battlefront

I tried playing an authrie battle-- and for me it is unplayable--because no matter what I do with my M-4s at 1880+ yards-- MK 4s destroyed me- if even JUST a part is not covered 6-8 MK 4 opened fire and killed each tank-- so must be the Borge again or M1's-OR MAYBE i WAS PLAYING cmsf //love the game but this does diminish my fun -- I do have enough sense to hide, move, use smoke -- will not play that battle again as "RESISTANCE IS FUTILE" --hope the spotting gets more real but still will purchase CMRT next week

If 6-8 MkIVs fire at a Sherman, you'd expect it to suffer, even at that range. It's also possible that there are better tubes firing that you haven't seen (ATGs). Without save games or at least some screen shots, there's no way to tell what your problem is, but it sounds like a problem with the player-scenario combination rather than the game system. I've certainly had Shermans survive hits (and I've seen misses too) from 75 L/48s without any registered damage at much lesser ranges than you mention, so it's not that it's some kind of supergun that's overmodelled. If the Panzers are being driven by Elite crews, they'll have an improved spotting and hit chance (and there's the much-vaunted German optics operating at their intended ranges), and the Sherman isn't impervious. And there are a couple of platoons firing. Quantity has a quality all of its own.

It's funny you complain about the spotting being too easy; most of the complaints recently have been about tanks not spotting other tanks.

Except as the German player! :-) Historically the Canadians were hit hard in this action and, if you play Canadian you must expect this

If you can, try and get hold of a copy of Milner's "Stopping the Panzers" article, from this edition of JMH. (An much expanded version is due out as a book later this year)

thanks for the thoughts --MK4 only had a 2.4 x gun sight -- so spotting did not seem right -- I know that if one M4 is fired at by 4-5 MK4 the result is a given- the MK4 were really VERY co ordinated- never got a chance to return fire or even engage the German pixel truppen--I tried to flank the large mass of MK4 ( really needed some cab rank Tiffies) no go -- I do not mind losing -- just seemed ahistorical as to the performance-- at sometime I will try it again as soon as I remember which one --I am over 60 :)

I have played this one, the Mark IVs with their flatter trejectory guns have an advantage over the Shermans. The Fireflies tend to be the only tanks able to reply effectively due to their own flat trajectory guns. Best bet is to hide your tanks behind houses and foilage and wait for the Mark IVs to get close.

Having scratched my head and gone to my bookshelf. The first time I would have seen it being used was back in 1984 in Max Hasting's "Overlord". He states that "The Allies" called the later versions of the Panzer IV, the "MK IV Special". Although whether he means SHAEF, the British, or the Americans I'm not sure.