What was the moment that got you hooked on this game?

From way back when ... CM was fun. It only seems to get better.

Last PM in a desperate feint to allow my T-34 to get the right angle for the kill, I flame thrower toasted a Tiger Tank.. enough to slow it and "disorganized" the tank's riders! It was a very Impressive Ivan Ignition! All the while (playing RT) plenty of action was happening on the battlefield. I only discovered the other significant events after watching level 2 zoomed... Axis AI realisticly responding to the flames and almost pulling it off.

Hooked again on this game :D

CMx1 was fun. Computer ASL, but better. Far better.

CMSF had teething issues, and that got me motivated to poke at it and try to improve it. That got me an invite to be a beta tester, which is something BFC certainly rues to this day. (Silly them! I refuse to give up the secret decoder key they sent! Bwah-ha-ha.)

The hook? Beta testing CMBN.

I was US, attacking the Germans. One US squad was attacking some Germans behind bocage from the north. I was also flanking the Germans from the east with another squad.

The North Squad overwhelmed the Germans. The surviving Germans knelt and surrendered. Meantime, a little later in the same wego turn, the flanking East Squad saw the German "?" icon and fired on them. The kneeling, surrendering, Germans were cut down. It was a kick in my gut. The emotional impact of that small act has stood out, ever since. Any game that can produce that level of emotional connection with the enemy is a game that is truly outstanding.

The key to this game, for me, is the ability to replay these types of low-level actions and connect with the pixeltruppen.

One day when I was living in a hostel I saw some guys moving bits of cardboard on what looked a bit like a map! Good old Squad Leader! Since then the genre has always held my interest and I think CMx2/3 is the best descendant of that classic game. Plus you don't have to spend an hour between turns arguing about some clause or meaning of a word in the rules!

Always had an interest in the WWII Genre ever since my Dad introduced me to it back in the 70's with HO & Micro Armor using a Tabletop Gaming Table...First Rules set was called 'Tractics'.

Later yrs I migrated to some WWII Computer Games such as SSI series, and Talon Soft's-East & West Fronts series ( now John Tiller's Campaign Series ) while still playing Tabletop Minis.

I came upon the CMBO Demo back in late 2001 when surfing the net and hooked ever since ( this is when I showed Dad how to play a Computer game, lol ). I then purchased BB & AK from Battlefront, and have played them for past 10 yrs.

Found my new "Hookness" ever since I started playing the CM:BN Demo this past year ( have CM:BN & CW now ). I will continue my enthusiasm for this great game system and eventually get all the WWII series ( Italy, RT, etc ).

*Side Note*

Interesting, No matter how many times I come over and show Dad how to play the CMx1 series, he still hasen't fully mastered it yet. ( he has his own style of play so to speak, lol ).

When I showed him the newer version from Battlefront, aka the CM:BN Demo, he said this game is to difficult to play and went straight back to CMx1.

Joe

CMBO Demo, playing Chance Encounter and learning the hard way the WeGo style of gameplay. :D

The second hook (a bit patriotic on my part) was commanding Australian Troops in North Africa, Greece and Crete in CMAK. Never thought I'd get to do that in any form of computer game.

The North Squad overwhelmed the Germans. The surviving Germans knelt and surrendered. Meantime, a little later in the same wego turn, the flanking East Squad saw the German "?" icon and fired on them. The kneeling, surrendering, Germans were cut down.

I'm not sure what you mean here, because as far as I know, troops don't fire on "?" icons on their own. And they won't open fire on surrendering troops either (would be cool if they might, depending on training and morale level). You can order area fire on the spot, but doesn't sound like you did that.

Was this a feature of the beta version that was later cut out?

Or was it actually what happened that the surrendering Germans stopped surrendering and tried to pull back? I've seen that happen a couple of times.

Couple that with the fact that troops actually do sometimes shoot at ? or even enemy that are not even showing up as ? yet. I have seen this several times when watching units up close. You can see soldiers aiming and firing and then a few moments later the subject of their shooting shows up as spotted.

I'm not sure what you mean here, because as far as I know, troops don't fire on "?" icons on their own. And they won't open fire on surrendering troops either (would be cool if they might, depending on training and morale level). You can order area fire on the spot, but doesn't sound like you did that.

Was this a feature of the beta version that was later cut out?

Or was it actually what happened that the surrendering Germans stopped surrendering and tried to pull back? I've seen that happen a couple of times.

East Squad did not get a solid spot on the Germans. The North Squad did. The East guys fired. It may've been that I'd given them area fire orders but I don't think so. The Germans decided to surrender, but the East squad didn't see that. They just saw the Germans before they surrendered.

That's the great thing about replay, otherwise I would've missed it.

I played CMx1 once, without a manual (ahem), didn't understand it and soon lost interest.

Years later I played DropTeam which unfortunately didn't create much interest and died off after a while. Some time later out of curiosity I looked back in the DT forum and there was a post from jby about BN.

That was the time when the Beta AAR 'Bois de Baugin'(?) was running. There was IIRC a video of a Sherman driving cross country. The detail and the movement of the tank - that got me hooked ever since.