What was the moment that got you hooked on this game?

Just wondering if you had any defining moment that made you like the game.

For me, it probably was when (as a complete beginner) I sent a squad running forward gung-ho style and a shell exploded quite far away from them, yet killed two guys.

At first, I looked tired at the screen, angry about the "bug". I mean, my guys were nowhere near the blast, the only way to explain something like that was if there had been some... ehhh... pieces of shrapnel...

Hmmmm!

I've loved the CM design philosophy since the very first game. It's great to see that the series has kept up with computing power to make each version of the engine more detailed, more realistic, and more intuitive.

For me the quintessential CM moment is when contact is made and my soldiers scramble to react on their own as my orders no longer make sense. It's something that's only possible with this kind of TacAI and fog of war.

The deciding moment for me was in one of the BO demos before the full game was released. I ran a Sherman around behind a patch of forest to get behind a Pz. IV. It got there and got off a shot at fairly close range but didn't get a kill. The Panzer started to slowly rotate its turret to lay its gun on me, so it was a race between my loader and the turret. When my guy won, there was great rejoicing in Mudville!

:D

Michael

It took me a while to get the hang of the CMBO demo. New way to think about controls, different instruction set, it all seemed confusing. Don't remember the exact ecstatic epiphany episode. I do remember I spent a long rainy afternoon playing the demo for hours with a big smile on my face. Wife walked past asking about the game. She said you must have gotten the hang of the instruction set because you have been "blowing the crap out of stuff!" She heard the explosions and gunfire coming out of the speakers. "You are going to buy this game aren't you? Sounds like you and your buddies on range day."

2002 CMBO/CMBB Mac Bundle . Afrika Korps Mac followed

Apple upgraded their OS.

2008 CMSF & Marines for PC in bootcamp

CMBN & CW &MG Mac

CMSF Mac Bundle

CMFI & GL Mac

Apple updated their OS again.

Build EVO Hackintosh to bypass Apple's development update issues and play CM at best settings, fast and visually pleasing.

CMRT Mac v3.0 :D

Only a brief time with this jewel of a game but it is amazingly good!

Kudos to BFC staff for building such great gaming fun and giving us ...

"FIRE!"

Fire good :D

I came from Close Combat 2 back in what...'2000 or something.

Always enjoyed the real-time aspect of that game, but at the same time I found the new WEGO system of CM very intriguing. This allowed for players to take their time with turns, strategizing the perfect tactical move before sending off the turn to his opponent. This chess-like play style of the game got me hooked.

I've always looked at this game like an advanced version of chess and not a simulator like others apparently do.

I liked it when it first came out in the 90s and as well as when CMBN came out as I got the nice special edition.

I didn't really get seriously hooked until I started playing h2h. That put it into a different league.

I also have all of the Shock Force games, but I'm not as into it as the WW2 stuff. I suspect once Black Sea or whatever they call it comes out I'll get hooked on h2h. I just wished they would be more adventurous and do the Arab-Israeli wars and modern Asia.

Chance Encounter CMBO demo. I vividly recall sending a squad into the isolated house on the left, feeling pleased with myself for getting forward without any significant opposition. Then the AI landed a barrage on the house and it catches fire, panic sets in. Terrific moment and I was hooked.

Chance Encounter CMBO demo. I vividly recall sending a squad into the isolated house on the left, feeling pleased with myself for getting forward without any significant opposition. Then the AI landed a barrage on the house and it catches fire, panic sets in. Terrific moment and I was hooked.

I don't understand why everyone likes this scenario. It's quite possibly the most restricted, boring map of the bunch. By the way, if my last opponent is reading this...I quit our game because I hated this map.

I was hooked just hearing my two friends talk about this game :D Then I picked up CMAK and CMBB and loved from the first moment.

If I had to pick a moment it would be the first time I figured out that actual tactics worked in game. I do not remember the scenario but it was in CMBB and the Germans are trying to get convoy across the map and the Partisans are trying to stop it. I tried to push the Partisans out of a tree line and my first attempted failed badly. I just ran a squad across the open ground expecting them to make it. There were wiped out or routed I forget but it was bad. I told my dad and he told me what he would have done. I tried that, suppressive fire leap frogging a larger force all the while keeping up the area fire into the trees. The next force made it in good order and took it to the enemy.

Once the CMBN demo came out there was no looking back. I finished the PBEM game from the old series and never loaded the games again. They are not even on my new machine.

I do not remember the scenario but it was in CMBB and the Germans are trying to get convoy across the map and the Partisans are trying to stop it.

I remember that. I think it was the only scenario with partisans. I can't recall whether I played it to a conclusion or just took a look at it and set it aside though.

Michael

WEGO mechanic with replay..did it for me

That did it at first for me, trying out the CMBB demo on a crappy mac laptop. Couldn't run it past a few turns until it overheated. As soon as I got a new computer I got the game. However, the learning curve was very steep and I nearly gave it up. Then I played a scenario in a blizzard with almost zero visibility. Then all of a sudden, in the bleak landscape a flame shot forward against my approaching squads - I didn't know there were flamethorowers in the game! That did it finally. I have played CM-games almost daily for the past 8-9 years. I must also add that the factor of spotting and not knowing where the enemy is, and the intensity that creates, is also a great feature in all its simplicity.

CMBO demo did it for me. BTS/BFC and I have been married ever since, with a brief estrangement between the initial release of Shock Force and CMBN.

Yep. Same here.

To pick up on a few comments from other posts: WEGO plus 3D graphics and turn replays made every other WW2 board game or set of rules I possessed irrevocably obsolete.

While I don't recall a particular epiphany for the CM game, I do remember a recent moment when I decided I'd probably never be satisfied with a tabletop WW2 figures wargame ever again, kibitzing on a Flames of War tournament. The abstraction layer is just too near the surface.

While I don't recall a particular epiphany for the CM game, I do remember a recent moment when I decided I'd probably never be satisfied with a tabletop WW2 figures wargame ever again, kibitzing on a Flames of War tournament. The abstraction layer is just too near the surface.

Yeah I can't say there was a moment I was hooked other than simply starting the demo and knowing this was far too cool...

Since then though the number of amazing moments is beyond count and there is simply no way anything else is going to fill this niche.

The only bummer is knowing a pbem that you had and really enjoyed is beyond your reach unless you mark down what version it was played in if you ever want to see those turns again. :D

Fion's AARs on the old website made me aware of it. Valley of Trouble was my first scenario. The graphics were a little off putting at first but I remember dropping artillery on the town and it arriving at just the right moment and I was sold.

For my part, it was a sidebar reference about "Combat Mission Battle for Normandy" in PC Gamer magazine a year or two ago. I never knew of the earlier iterations of the game systems so I never played them. I was looking for something more substantive than "Call of Duty" or "Company of Heroes". I found and played the CMBfN demo for months. Once I mastered the learning curve, I was hooked forever. Like Adam said of Eve in Eden, "This one is for me!". These forums just re-affirmed my choice.