Question about Russian campaign

mvp7

I'm just getting the hang of CMRT at the moment. Played tankovy desant and am now switching to this beast. I'm company with support units kind of a player. I hope I'll manage playing with 3 companies plus all the support units! Lots of micromanagement for sure.

Map is really great, you definitely get the huge immersion booster with so nicely done maps. I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of either side in that muddy swampy landscape. Gosh. 

Do you guys have any suggestions hot to make this mission a little smaller time sink then I suppose and read it will be? 

How should I assign group numbers? Company one gets number 1, company two number two,, etc. but what about other sub units and support units? My keyboard tends to run out of available numbers. ;) 

Since sappers are limited and thus so valuable I suppose I'm not supposed to send them ahead to scout for mines in the first mission? My non educated guess would be I need to send rifle groups ahead to scout and after they step on mines I send in sappers which are behind them to mark the mines? I suppose this is how it was done historically?

What about those light tanks? I hope they won't explode (by mines or hidden AT assets) after I send them in support of my rifle's units advance. Guess I'll have to try and see eh. :D how were those light tanks historically deployed in such tactical mission? Infantry scouting ahead and these tanks a little bit behind in support role or advancing with the infantry?

When I sent these tanks across the river 3 of them got bogged and two immobilized in the river, he he. Will have to reload an earlier save. Should have sent them across straight through the middle of that river passage. No wonder there were only light tanks in support in this sector - anything bigger would sink in the mud!

And on elast question - how to properly utilize the rocket barrage available from the beginning? Due to long delay I assigned them a mission before I started the turn in linear mission across the map on where I suspect first enemy line will be but number of those rockets is small - dunno, maybe I should have reserved them for later and on smaller impact area? Was defenitely awesome seeing them explode in the distance whiel my men were crossing the river.

Damn, this is one awesome game! 

What about those light tanks? I hope they won't explode (by mines or hidden AT assets) after I send them in support of my rifle's units advance. Guess I'll have to try and see eh. :D how were those light tanks historically deployed in such tactical mission? Infantry scouting ahead and these tanks a little bit behind in support role or advancing with the infantry?

When I sent these tanks across the river 3 of them got bogged and two immobilized in the river, he he. Will have to reload an earlier save. Should have sent them across straight through the middle of that river passage. No wonder there were only light tanks in support in this sector - anything bigger would sink in the mud

When I moved the assualt guns I used slow command all the time you will have no problem in keeping up with your infantry and bogging down is reduced.

Damn, this is one awesome game! 

Agree 100 %, have you played the 3rd mission ? if not you have something to look forward to.Again command an entire Battalion with support assets in taking a large village.

If you read the briefings carefully they will give you a number of hints that you can use to find out just how "expendable" the men under your command are. As a general rule though. Run of the mill infantry will be replaced.

As for the AT guns. I found them quite brutal on that first mission. Although I put it down to tree bursts and the tight formation my men were fighting in.

OK, thanx guys.

Agree 100 %, have you played the 3rd mission ? if not you have something to look forward to.Again command an entire Battalion with support assets in taking a large village.

No, I haven't had the chance to continue playing the first mission much - had to remove my tooth in Friday and got a nasty infection with fever running as high as 40oC. I feel like ****. 

Edited by Hister

I'm playing it .. Spent 4 hours on thé first line and using mortars and su-76 fire on the second line at the same time.. Losses are at around 20-30% and i,ve destroyed most of the first and parts of the second so I guess i'm not doing bad then. Fire superiority is the key.

Edited by antaress73

One of the great things about CM is that it doesn't cater to any one particular type of player. Some people LOVE the mega huge battles. These are the guys back in CMx1 days that would play with a regiment or more, even if the got only 5fps while playing. 

Steve

Anyone else remember Berli's Stalingrad? Jeez, but it brought my PC to its knees trying to play that one.

Anyone else remember Berli's Stalingrad? Jeez, but it brought my PC to its knees trying to play that one.

I remember some guy made a ( supposedly accurate TO&E ) Prokhorovka I downloaded from Scenario Depot.

That one took at least a cup of coffee ( make and drink ) to process a turn :rolleyes:  :D

Way too big for me .. Feels too much like working and administration to me lol

Amen. Anything over a reinforced company is a pain in the ass to manage. If you want to simulate a regiment-sized battle, you need a game where the pieces are company-sized or no less than platoon. In a corps-sized battle, the pieces should be battalions.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

Currently i'm playing this mission and got too many losses, most of them by artillery.

Is it me or the IA have many more ammunition for arty than a human player ? For more than 30 minutes i'm getting 81mm or maybe heavier shells in the head. And accurency and reacativity are terrifying ! :)
It's look that german don't need 5mn to re-targeting thos arty barrage right in the middle of my pour frontovikis. :/

Maybe they have plenty of targeting point ?

So now, how to avoid thoses deadly barrages ? I tried to rush the enemy 2nd line but with mortar firing all the time, i got only 1 or 2 men's platoons and they are very disturbed ...
I now Russian are attacking a long time well defended area but i can't find any solution to crack that nut !
I should probably restart the map ... :(