New video footage a fully-restored Pak40

In dusty conditions clearly. Perhaps the dust is much reduced in damp areas like Normandy etc. I wonder if the crews laid any covers on the ground like a sniper would to reduce dust?

Very interesting the guy claims it was used in an indirect fire role with a 5 mile range vs the 1 mile direct fire role. If true, that would be interesting to see in CM2 for on board direct fire weapons as has been discussed. (Of course we'd need rather large maps.)

It clear it is not a true grenade but just a blank. The PaK40 was partly semiautomatic, so the case was automatically ejected by the recoil movement then the bolt was left open, ready for loading a new PaK grenade.

In the video a guy must manually operate the bolt opening mechanism, which have been kept closed during the whole cycle, in order to get the case partially out of the chamber.

OTOH I think the gun shows enough recoil to partly operate the semiautomatic case extraction cycle. I wonder whether there is something closig the barrel hidden in the muzzlebrake which would allows the recoil. If so, it would partly explain the huge dust cloud.

A friend of mine got a PaK40 in his collection, so I was able to move and operate it (with the help of other friends, that is). There is a hole in the barrel so there was no way to fire powerful blanks, so we didn't get first hand experience on live firing the gun. We just fired some "soft" blanks. Real cases were used, but there was no recoil at all.

Note: It was expected to emplace the gun lower on the ground, but the terrain was too close to the sea, so we got lots of water after digging just 50 or 70 cm

castellon06_93_zpsd4eacb6d.jpg~original

It clear it is not a true grenade but just a blank. The PaK40 was partly semiautomatic, so the case was automatically ejected by the recoil movement then the bolt was left open, ready for loading a new PaK grenade.

In the video a guy must manually operate the bolt opening mechanism, which have been kept closed during the whole cycle, in order to get the case partially out of the chamber.

This is explained in the video. The auto eject is disabled because the owner didn't want the cart cases dinged as they went skittering across the rocks.

Bear in mind that the propellent type and quantity is most likely NOT the same as am authentic WWII round.

It seems as if all of the large caliber muzzle blasts are too small in-game. Read some descriptions of a Firefly's muzzle blast, for example.

This is part of the reason why I was so frustrated in the Neerpelt Breakout that I recently played. The Paks were extremely hard to spot, even with a direct line of sight. I would hear the gunshots but see absolutely no indication of where they may have come from. Smoke from the muzzle blast of both AT guns and bazookas/schrecks/fausts would be nice. It would give you realistic idea of where the shooting is coming from.

Bear in mind that the propellent type and quantity is most likely NOT the same as am authentic WWII round.

Yep, sounds about right. The shell they were using looked like a very large blank, so naturally all of that propellant is going to be vented out of the gun differently than a normal shell would.

Yep, sounds about right. The shell they were using looked like a very large blank, so naturally all of that propellant is going to be vented out of the gun differently than a normal shell would.

AFAIK the only way to use a blank then getting some recoil is by closing the muzzle or narrowing the bore with a blank device.

My new quest in life: to find a PaK 40, buy it, take it out to the range and fire it. Because it is awesome.

ISTR that there was a member here, several years ago, who had his own Pak40 ... or maybe it was an 88 of some kind. Fully functional too - he machined his own projectiles :eek: :cool:

ISTR that there was a member here, several years ago, who had his own Pak40 ... or maybe it was an 88 of some kind. Fully functional too - he machined his own projectiles :eek: :cool:
I suppose his neighbors didn't dare to make any complain against his dog ****ting on wrong lawns for the sheer fear of their roofs being blown off the house... ;)