Question for Scenario Authors.

I would like to try making a small scenario for the first time.

I thought converting a Tabletop wargaming scenario to a CM one might be good way to start.

This gives me a map and Order of Battle straight 'off the shelf'.

For instance, the below pic is my template with a grid scale of 100m x 100m per square.

template

8HUfJq3.jpg

editor

dPhKpxw.jpg

3d preview

ghStNMD.jpg

My questions are ; Has anyone tried this and how did the conversion go?

Its easier to do the first scenario's like this or to take someones scenario and mod it with the scenario editor.

Just remember to put some ground contours in otherwise crossing the open area's will be murder.

I suggest having a look at other peoples work in the editor to pick up on some of the tricks of map making and making it look life like.

I did a conversion when I first started and found the maps rather empty and not very life like but the unit conversions didnt work to well for me.

Cheers

Stephen

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. It's trickier than it looks, but IMO it is do-able. Now the players of my scenarios may disagree (still haven't uploaded it yet, but maybe today if I can figure out how to get it up there), but I think you're on the right track. One key element I'm finding is to make sure you build in some undulations as Stephen suggested. Typically (although not always) over the distance your map spans, you will get *some* rising and falling of terrain, even if it's only a metre or two. On really small maps similar to the one I'm building, not so much, and again Stephen is right - open ground can be murderous. But that's the way things went at times (my scenario takes place in Holland). One thing I have found myself is that while difficult, unit conversions can be successful. You just want to make sure that the essence of the unit make up is the same as in the board game. For example, I'm doing an ASL scenario, and in that they call for the Germans to have a few HMG's, but they list the crews separately. In CMBN you can't get a machine gun without a crew; you just have to make sure you don't add too many or too few in the process. It's little things like that which can trip you up.

I'm quite certain my first few (dozen? :D) scenarios will be "challenging" for one side or the other, and to start with, I'm doing Allies vs the AI only until I can get a better feel for the AI Plans and how they operate. So maybe start with simple scenarios first (there are an innumerable small battles that can easily be listed as fictional, but who's to say these didn't actually occur - it's only the grander battles that typically get written about). They are easier to deal with and if you get a critique back that says it's horribly unbalanced, then it's easier to tweak than something really big.

Good luck with this. It's a bit daunting, but I really have enjoyed third party scenarios presented here and would like to be a contributor as well as a user. The more there is, the more this game stays "fresh".

PS - one thing you might want to do to add a realistic touch to maps is add lots of "Flavour" objects ("Flavor" to my neighbors to the south :)). They are a bit frustrating to deal with because you have to go into 3D Preview to see where they were put exactly, then to move them around. They aren't a "drop-and-adjust" as are things like buildings, but the extra time taken is really worth it.

From the look of it, the method you are using will result in a very artificial-looking map that includes the deficiencies of cardboard game maps. From other threads, I had the impression that people are using online maps as an overlay and using that to make CM2 maps, which seems like a good idea.

While cardboard games can be a good inspiration (I have done it too) and help you to start with some kind of OOB, there is no need to stick rigorously to the artificial looking maps. Better to use online maps like Erwin said, or use the cardboard map for the general position of a few important landmarks, but adapt it to make it more natural looking.

And in MG there are a few very good master maps you can use if you like. I have used one for my MG Betuwe on Fire scenario. Crop the map to your liking and adapt it if need be (I added numerous drainage ditches on the map among other things).

Making good scenarios is not easy, but can be very rewarding. Go at it :-)

From the look of it, the method you are using will result in a very artificial-looking map that includes the deficiencies of cardboard game maps. From other threads, I had the impression that people are using online maps as an overlay and using that to make CM2 maps, which seems like a good idea.

As a would-be scenario writer, I agree with Erwin. Boardgame maps begin and end as an abstraction. They work for what they're intended, a place to game a particular design of an historical conflict.

I'm also working on my first scenario. The ASL scenario I intend to convert is excellent for OOB and situational information. The map was wholly inadequate. To create a map I found the general area for that battle on a WW2 era map at URL = http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=112291&highlight=maps. This gave me terrain contours for the battle area. I used google maps to get an idea of foliage. Check out Jon Sowden's "The Sheriff of Oosterbeek – A Scenario Design DAR/AAR" at URL = http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=110294 (also included as a PDF with the "Market Garden" module) for pointers on creating combined overlays for v.2.12 map design as well as the thinking behind "flavor" objects. From there, use your boardgame or miniatures battle OOB's, objectives, and reinforcement schedules to flesh out your scenario. This kind of map-making takes time but, surprisingly to me, its the AI Scripting which involves more work. You'll lkely have to play around to get a feel for what works best for you.

Hope this helps. New scenario's are always welcome. Good luck and good gaming!

<snipped>

And in MG there are a few very good master maps you can use if you like. I have used one for my MG Betuwe on Fire scenario. Crop the map to your liking and adapt it if need be

<snipped)

Question: How does one "crop" an existing map? What are the tools and techniques in the editor? Thank you.

How does one "crop" an existing map? What are the tools and techniques in the editor? Thank you.

Open the map in the editor as normal and then use the size controls to reduce the map size on the required side(s). You can cut just one edge or all 4 as you wish. A helpful trick is that if you don't save or leave the editor you can increase the map size again and the previous detail remains - this is very helpful if you make it smaller than you meant to.

P

Thanks for the responses, chaps/chapesses!

On a slightly different note here is a question about the forthcoming AI triggers;

Let's say you have U1 providing frontal suppressive fire on objective A and U2 manoeuvrings around the flank to close assault objective A.

One has set the exit before/exit after so ,in theory, 5 minutes after U1 starts its' suppression, U2 starts it close assault. But for some reason U1 doesn't suppress the objective and currently U2 will continue its' assault regardless with probably a disastrous outcome.

My question is ; will the AI triggers help in this sort of situation?