New file at the Repository: Lingevres - Tilly Sur Seulles road (2014-01-09)

Hello...This map is primarally farmland with boccage and a small city (Tilly Sur Seulles).It's 1800 X 1200 meters.I have deliberatelly included alot of gaps in the low bocage tiles to make it easier for infantry to move through. Armour will still be restricted though.The tall boccage have very few gaps and will require engineers.hope you enjoy it !

More...

Very nice RepsolCBR.

I like the undulations in the terrain, it really helps it from becoming billiard flat, adds more of a natural characteristic to the land. Nice job.

Only constructive criticism I'd have is for the road bend connections there is a straight road section that has a small flare to begin the bend that helps smooth the transition. For your dirt roads you may want to use that more. Also x axis 741 y axis 693 you have a T intersection on a paved road, but the "T" is one action square off from the intersection.

Thanks for the map, we can always use more maps. :)

Thanks sburke, for your comments and suggestions...

Very nice RepsolCBR.

I like the undulations in the terrain, it really helps it from becoming billiard flat, adds more of a natural characteristic to the land. Nice job.

Yes...avoiding billiard flat was one of my major concerns. I hope this will work fine...:)

I will upload a V1.2 of this map in a few days. Your suggestions regarding the dirtroads will be implemented. I think i found the road-tile you meant...

this one

CMNormandy2014-01-1018-54-56-61_zps10db747c.png

I have spotted a few additional tweaks that will need to be made and i'm also considering making some changes to Tilly Sur Seulles itself.

I'm not perfectly happy with how it turned out. I think maybe i made a misstake in using modular buildings in the town instead of independent buildings. I think the modular buildings may look a little to 'big city' for this place.

I'm not sure though wich way to go about this. to change modular buildings like these...

CMNormandy2014-01-1019-09-05-90_zps29ad4e50.png

to independent buildings like these...

CMNormandy2014-01-1019-18-17-69_zps236456f1.png

might look more like a small town.

One advantage with the modular buildings though is that they can provide an additional tactical option in the fighting for the town.

If i add internal doors on the first floors of thoose buildings then troop movement will be possible without exiting (into the streets) and entering every building (maybe simulating movement in the basements).

Either i will add internal doors or a will change thoose modular buildings (atlest most of them) to independent ones...

Decisions, decisions...

Every suggestion people might have and observed misstake with the map will be apprisiated and might be included in the updated version...

yep that is the road section. As to buildings, yeah that is the one major advantage of modular buildings. I tend to use a lot of the independents in my urban maps, but that is mostly because I like the damage you can add to them. All just a matter of personal preference. If those building are meant to be a contiguous structure I would go with the modular as it really impacts movement options. If they are supposed to be independent structures, go with whatever you find feels right.

Beautiful work. Ideal map for cutting into smaller pieces/smaller battles. Thanks man.

Glad you like it...

Yes, feel free to use smaller part of the map in your own scenarios.

Put more stuff next to houses - looks too empty now.

That sure is one thing to improve, i agree...This map has still been sort of a learning experience...i have not done much work with the map editor until now.

For example i did not know what those numbers on the left side did when you seleted flavoured objects...i know now...many more flavour objects to choose from...nice !

I'm currently working on the destroyed version of this map adding battle damage to primeraly Tilly Sur Seulles and Lingevres. Besides rubbled buildings this map will have (as you suggested) more flavoured objects all over.

I will also correct the roads according to sburkes suggestions...I will keep a number of the modular buildings (not all) and add internal doors to thoose.

Once this is done i will upload a V1.2 of the non-destroyed map with a number of improvements...

thanks for your suggestion

Here is a map with some very nice use of flavor items compliments of Umlaut

Yes...From the screenshots that map looks amazing !

I have downloaded that scenario twice and tried to play it but for some reason its now avaliable when i launch the game...I place the BTT-file in the same place as all the others but still it will not show up ?

Yes...From the screenshots that map looks amazing !

I have downloaded that scenario twice and tried to play it but for some reason its now avaliable when i launch the game...I place the BTT-file in the same place as all the others but still it will not show up ?

Do you have all the modules and are you upgraded to 2.12? Those are the only reasons I can think of off hand.

Do you have all the modules and are you upgraded to 2.12? Those are the only reasons I can think of off hand.

My mistake...I did not have 2.12 !

I have downloaded that know and the scenario is working...All i can say is WOW !

That is some impressive piece of work...

Once again, thanks for your help...If i could email you a beer, i would...:)

RepsolCBR, how's the map update going? Map has the potential to become top notch map. Well, don't get me wrong - it already is looking better (more alive, more akin to how landscape really looks like) then most of the stock maps.

Edit: The only thing missing afterwards will be a scenario done for it made by someone experienced enough to complement this fine map with fine AI plans and stuff. ;)

Edit 2: I noticed you totally excluded normal green grass tile and inserted yellow/dried out grass everywhere. Spray normal green grass over the map - by doing so it wil look even better. Don't mind the vanilla grass colour tha tcomes with the game - most of us usses mods for that anyway so that it looks better on the eyes.

Hello, Hister...thanks for your feeback :)

The update is comming along nicely. I will do the final work on the battle-damaged version of the map tomorrow and upload it to the repository.

It should be avaliable early next week.

The V1.2 of the non-destroyed map will be posted a few days later (next week also, i think).

As you suggested i will most likely 'spray' som green on the map. The reason i have not used it is because for some reason the green grass graphics does not seem to load as well as the other terrain objects...I guess its the mod i'm using for the grass (will have to look at that)...The green grass have a bit off 'pop-up' effect for me...

If some of the more experienced designers might be intrested in making a scenario on this map they are very welcome to have a go at it.

That would be the best for sure...:)

But i think that much of the pros attention are directed towards the eastern front right now.

I will try to put together a scenario or two on this map...

• 1 month later...
Hi. Are you still planning on releasing this? I'm just wondering if I should wait for it or just download the battle damaged version.

Hello...

'real-life problems' is limiting my computer-time at present...my dad is seriously ill (cancer) and requires alot of help right now...

I'm not sure if i will make a V1.2 version of the map or if i will jump right into CMRT with my next project when times allows...

If i decide to finish the V1.2 version i dont think it will be ready any time soon (atleast a months away or more...)

Sorry to hear about your dad. Went thru similar with mine. Best wishes...

Thanks, Erwin...

My mother died in cancer 3 years ago...That was not pretty !

I said to my self "i hope i never have to see anybody die like that ever again"...

Unfortunatelly that is not going to be the case...My dads cancer is terminal also and his health is going downhill fast...

Same thing once again :(

Hello...

'real-life problems' is limiting my computer-time at present...my dad is seriously ill (cancer) and requires alot of help right now...

I'm not sure if i will make a V1.2 version of the map or if i will jump right into CMRT with my next project when times allows...

If i decide to finish the V1.2 version i dont think it will be ready any time soon (atleast a months away or more...)

I'm sorry to hear about you dad. And your mother. I lost my own mother to cancer.

I went ahead and grabbed the damaged version. The map is a beaut.

All I can say is that it's very important that you take care of yourself. The medics I am sure are doing all they can.

Yes...The healthcare-people are doing a wounderful jobb (just like last time)...I can only agree with pretty much everyone else...Thoose people don't get payed enough !

I'm sorry to hear about you dad. And your mother. I lost my own mother to cancer.

Cancer sure is one uggly beast (that should be exterminated). Having to witnes our parents end their lifes in this dreadful way is an experience many of us share i'm sure.

I went ahead and grabbed the damaged version. The map is a beaut.

Thanks !